Having to Manually Activate Handlebar Shift Lever on AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewspears

Reaction score
I've performed the electrical mod on my 07 AE that allows windshield to stay in same position when shutting off key. I like it much better and wonder what Yamaha was thinking when they designed it to retract every time key is turned off!

Now I'm having the same kind of thoughts about having to activate the handlebar shifting with a pushbutton switch every time the bike is started up. I like the handlebar shifting and use it exclusively now that I'm use to it. I'm thinking of jumpering the shift activation pushbutton so that it is automatically active anytime the key is turned on. Has anyone done this or know of a reason why I shouldn't???

Thanks for any Responses!

Not to hijack the original topic, but what's up with folks disabling the windshield auto-down function?

When I first joined the FJR world back in '05 and started reading this and other forums, I saw several posts about disabling the auto-down feature. Hmmmm, I thought -- very simple task to what is "obviously" an annoying feature.

After taking ownership of my '04 and riding for a couple of months, I thought...

[sarcasm] "Wow! Boy is it ever inconvenient to hold that button down for a second or two to reset the shield position after I park! What the hell was Yamaha thinking?" [/sarcasm]

After 45,000 miles in 2 years, I've never once considered "pulling the plug" on the auto-down.

All you guys who've disabled your auto-down feature, do you miss your mommies putting sugar on your cereal? Christ, talking about finding a fix for a non-existent problem!

Please, someone explain to me the overpowering need for this seemingly useless modification.

[sarcasm] "Wow! Boy is it ever inconvenient to hold that button down for a second or two to reset the shield position after I park! What the hell was Yamaha thinking?" [/sarcasm]

You are obviously more interested in image (Bike Looks) than function i.e. Otherwise Why would you return the windshield to it's fully down position every time you turned off? Nothing wrong with being image concience just realize some folks don't care if it looks cool or not and would rather have it stay where the adjusteed it for best airflow.

I installed the AE shift Gizmo, and my button goes green almost all the time. There are a couple circumstances (my fault) that the gizmo doesn't have a chance to turn on, or the shift shuts off. But it works passively and flawlessly. Now that my finger shifter is turned on all the time, I also USE it all the time. I used to foot shift 95% of the time, now it's more like 20% of the time.

I haven't found anything detrimental or operationally threatening with having the finger shift turned on all the time.

I asked the same question, more or less, a while back. No one could tell me WHY the thing defaulted to OFF, when I thought that from the factory it should default to on. I guess if you had left hand finger spasms you might accidentally shift when you aren't supposed to. But it just never made sense to me, either.

And off topic, I'm with RadioHowie, I reconnected my windshield switch and just let it autoretract. In fact I almost always have the shield full down, anyway. At first I wanted the biggest wind block I could get behind. Anymore I just want my helmet in the breeze. And my finger shifter turned on all the time. I want my cruise control turned on all the time, too. That will probably be a winter project.

I want my cruise control turned on all the time, too. That will probably be a winter project.
Be sure and retain the option to manually turn off the power to the cruise! Riding in the rain, on a slick wet surface, a little drop of water seeps into the control pad and suddenly ZOOM, the cruise now thinks you are holding down the accelerate button... :eek:

Not to hijack the original topic, but what's up with folks disabling the windshield auto-down function?
followed by

You are obviously more interested in image (Bike Looks) than function i.e. Otherwise Why would you...
Some of youse guys sure get emotionally involved in some pretty small issues :glare: :lol: FWIW, I'm constantly adjusting my windshield and find it a convenience that it auto-retracts. I tend to be function over form, that may be related to the gene defect that led me into engineering.

I've never been bothered by the shifter always defaulting to the foot lever. ;)

You are obviously more interested in image (Bike Looks) than function i.e.
[talking to the clueless] Yep that's it! You nailed it! My bike looks 10,000% better with the shield down! Makes my dick bigger and my pussy stop hurting! Image is everything! [/talking to the clueless]

You better 'splain yerself, Lucy....WTF function does leaving the shield up provide? Saving the rider a couple of seconds having to put the shield back up next time he/she drives? Hell, over the course of a lifetime, that could add up to, what? One, maybe two minutes?

would you return the windshield to it's fully down position every time you turned off?
That's the point...I don't return it to it's fully down position...the bike does. I could give a shit whether THE ORIGINAL DESIGN left the shield up or made it auto-retract. It's a non-issue and that's why I can't understand why anyone would bother disabling such an innocuous feature. And if the windshield DIDN'T auto-retract, I wouldn't put it down when I parked. Now if the shield went UP by itself every time, THAT would be annoying. But down when I park it? I can't believe someone can give me a sensible, logical reason to disable the feature, other than some lame "It's my bike, I'll do what I want to with it!" bullshit statement.

Nothing wrong with being image concience just realize some folks don't care if it looks cool or not and would rather have it stay where the adjusteed it for best airflow.
What a horseshit statement. Now if there was some "magic" sweetspot that could only be found once in a lifetime in the exact shield position and the chances were one in a billion I'd never find that sweetspot EVER again, I might be annoyed the auto-retract "stole" my sweetspot from me, but Jeebus, the shield moves about 3 inches. We're not talking a moon shot here, sparky.

Obviously you have some image issues about something to keep belaboring the point. Are you saying you're trying to maintain an image that states "I don't care about image!"

My whole point is "what's the point?" What harm does the feature do? What long term benefits do disabling the feature give me?

Trust me...image is NOT the issue for someone who hasn't washed his bike in 2 years. I let rain do the work for me.

Or... You could do what I do: let the bike decide if it feels like auto-retracting or not. Sometimes its does, sometimes it doesn't. Either way, I don't much give a shit.

I have to agree that It sucks having that windshield go down automatically. I also agree that its not the end of the world but it's just an inconvenience. I personally ride with it in the full up possition 100% of the time. I wash my bike pretty often as well and its easier to clean with it up so Key in the ignition during washings. No Biggie, but if I had my druthers it would stay where I left it last. I have a AE and I find the Hand Shifter turning off to be a PITA as well. Again, I use the hand shift 100% of the time and would rather just have it on all the time. Either way, I love the bike and realize that no manufacturer can please everyone. It's not like if I noticed the widshield goes down automatically in the showroom it would have been a deal breaker.