Heat Fix Complete

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spent yesterday afternoon implementing all of the heat fixes:

1) Frost King insulation now lining underside of fuel tank.

2) Left side Cromieck (sp?) aluminum (0.025" th) insert made and installed; foam stripping added, used cutaway option for airfoil rather than complete removal. Cut as shown in MCN.

3) Right side foam stripping added.

Did a quick 200 mile spin this morning - unbelieveable difference. Like a different bike. Tank is still a little warm, but nowhere as hot as previously. Virtually little to no heat on lower legs/ankles; replaced rubber inserts between tank and frame, so no heat on upper shins, knees.

Wow!

Ran 2 bars all day. 3 bars at stoplights, returned to 2 when underway. Never saw 4 bars, never heard fan go on.

Strongly recommend fix, and many thanks to those who came up with the changes and instructions.

I'm not too sure if the Frost King insulation is needed if the tank isn't getting hot but the rest of the mods sound very interesting. Where is an explanation or how to?

I tried out my new heat fix this weekend, I had my stock windshield cut down to 13 inches and I love it. At anything over 45 you get plenty of air, at 80 with it all the way down it's like my R1, plenty of lift on your chest and it blows right down to where you need it. If you raise the shield 1/2 way the pressure goes away but you still get plenty of air, but full up still creates backpressure. Oh I forgot to mention I have the Rifle block installed.

4 bars and the fan would put it to the test. I don't use any foam but I taped the bottom of the tank. I run the stock screen in the down position, richened up the fuel mix and keep the tank full. Heat gone. I think the tank gets hot mostly from a lean running engine. The left leg will burn regardless how the engine is tuned/tweaked. I put my Yammie tall screen back on the other day and cooked my leg. Switched to stock the next day and have kept it down. Since then the left leg is fine.

Here is the right side fix:

https://www.fjrowners.ws/forum/messages/6/1...html?#POST50429

Nice thing about this (Cromeit) approach is that no tuning / retuning of the engine is required. Couple of bucks for a sheet of aluminum plate, 2" weatherstripping, and some Foam King (available at Loew's) insulation (aluminum over foam and adhesive already on the non-aluminum side to make installation easy) and you're there. No excessive heat on left leg, regardless of where I run my taller Yamaha windscreen. Check out the May, 2005 issue of MCN for a complete run down of all of the simple mods (they even credit Cromeit and the FJR owners site for the aluminum plate mod).

DOES ANYONE HAVE THE MCN ARTICLE THEY CAN POST. COULDNT FIND THE MAG AT BARNES AND NOBLE, BORDERS. JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS IT THEY CAN PUT IN ON SO I DONT HAVE TO ORDER A BACK ISSUE AND WAIT FOR IT. THANKS