heat fix kits

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yak

Reaction score
i just ordered a kit from speedzone.went 4 a ride sunday (92@degrees)my bike (04)was a nut roaster.has anyone had this problem or tried on of these heat sheilding kit (www.speedzoneahead.com) any info will help

Fill the tank, it's a lot cooler with a full tank.

It varies from bike to bike and rider to rider. Gear makes a big difference. One famous poster bitched pretty loud, and turned out to be riding in shorts in FL, cruising the BLVD at 30 mph. Some real riding pants and normal hwy speeds diminish the perceived heat a lot.

FWIW, I also have an '04, with no heat mods, and don't find it to be an issue. Sure, if it's 90+ degrees, everything is hot.

Post up after you get the heat blanket on and let the forum know how you feel it works.

I got a heat kit (undertank blanket) that's no longer available, and it made all the difference.

Still, once in a great while I ride in shorts under my mesh pants, and the heat on my left leg is unbearable. I always remember the heat at that point, rather than before I set out in shorts. Jeans or cotton khakis, never a problem.

got the blanket on mine

wfooshee has seen mine and no comment, so probably same as his

heat no problem for me, but I bought the bike used with the heat farkle already installed and have never ridden it without

bought it in Sept, so I guess I'll let you know how it goes this July with 110 heat indexes on the highway

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Yes I used that heat shield kit on my 2005. The heat wasn't a major problem for me but the speedzone kit certainly improved things. I now never notice the heat.

However I do wear ATGATT which also reduces the effect of a 1300cc engine sitting beneath my legs.

I've got one -- well, Smitty's blanket, but I think these are basically the same thing -- and it helps keep the tank cooler especially in slow traffic.

I also added Baker Air Wings on garauld's light mounts and those have worked to keep both the bike and me cooler. That's described in this thread and you'll find pics on p. 3 of that thread. I really love my air wings. With those two mods combined, I've had no more real problems -- at least, nothing you could call unusual for a large engine wrapped in a full fairing.

You might also search for the "cromeit heat fix." And I believe that covers the three most common mods for Gen I heat issues.

Gearing up, as others have mentioned, is the easiest one, though.

This is always an interesting subject. I have an 05 and never realized I had a heat problem until I read this forum - the power of suggestion! I've gone thru the entire range of heat fixes: insulated under the tank (only mod that remains); cromeit fix; stuffed pipe insulation around the tank. I found that every heat fix tended to increase the temperature of the tank rather than decrease it. So, I've removed everything (except the tank insulation), and replaced the cut away plastic from the cromeit, and the tank is noticeably cooler! It's also interesting how the exact same bike affects different people differently. I also have two layers of insulation under the tank - I started with the Frost King which helped a little, then I put some 2000 degree stick on stuff (I think Jeff Ashe first used it) over top of that.

Throughout the entire experiment which has run 3 years or so, I'm pretty sure engine temp remained pretty constant. Matilda runs at 2 bars while moving, moves to 3 bars within a short time of stopping, and will happily to to 4 bars after sitting for a couple of minutes. And then while sitting on route 95 at 95 degrees you get that wonderful blanket of hot air when the fan comes on, good times!

I remain very impressed with how Yamaha actually fixed the heat on the 06s - wish I had my 05 with the 06 vents, etc. That said, I wouldn't trade Matilda for truckload of puppies!

This is always an interesting subject. I have an 05 and never realized I had a heat problem until I read this forum - the power of suggestion! I've gone thru the entire range of heat fixes: insulated under the tank (only mod that remains); cromeit fix; stuffed pipe insulation around the tank. I found that every heat fix tended to increase the temperature of the tank rather than decrease it. So, I've removed everything (except the tank insulation), and replaced the cut away plastic from the cromeit, and the tank is noticeably cooler! It's also interesting how the exact same bike affects different people differently. I also have two layers of insulation under the tank - I started with the Frost King which helped a little, then I put some 2000 degree stick on stuff (I think Jeff Ashe first used it) over top of that.
Throughout the entire experiment which has run 3 years or so, I'm pretty sure engine temp remained pretty constant. Matilda runs at 2 bars while moving, moves to 3 bars within a short time of stopping, and will happily to to 4 bars after sitting for a couple of minutes. And then while sitting on route 95 at 95 degrees you get that wonderful blanket of hot air when the fan comes on, good times!

I remain very impressed with how Yamaha actually fixed the heat on the 06s - wish I had my 05 with the 06 vents, etc. That said, I wouldn't trade Matilda for truckload of puppies!
Well with mine, there was no increase in tank temps what so ever. The Cromeit fix solved the shin bake. That was the fix for me! I've not needed to add insulation under the tank even.

Living on the east coast of Canada I spend May trying to figure out how to plug fresh air vents and get a little engine heat pushed up on the rider. I guess we all have our problems. Cheers.