Helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat C

Reaction score
I promised myself this year I will buy a new helmet, I currently own a KBC FFR modular. I've been searching for the past 2 years for the perfect helmet if it exists, I like modulars but are heavy, I don't want to spend $700.00 for a Shubert, I want a quiet helmet better visibility from shield and speaker capable. I was interested in the Nolan Triligy but doesn't have detents for shield it is either up or down. I also looked at the Scropion modular but it to is heavy.

I recently bought a Shark FF.........very light and quiet I have a bluetooth intercom system installed in it. Check them out.

Helmets are a personal choice, and no one can tell you what will work for you. A Shoei RF1100 is about as light and quiet as you can get in a helmet. If it fits, great. You will miss being able to open it up like the modular, but in return you get a quiet ride and well functioning visors with good visibility.

Check out the new Shoei Qwest...more quiet and better vented than my x-11 and RF1000. Also larger eye port. It's a keeper.

Helmets, boots, and gloves are all so dependent on personal fit that it's not enough to hear from, other folks. It's so much about the shape of your head (or hands or feet), not just the size, so nothing substitutes for trying them on and wearing them around the store for a while--as long as they'll let you. If you really like modulars, it would be hard to be comfortable with a full-face helmet. I've had three modulars, and my Multi-tec has been the most comfortable, but you still need to see and feel it on your own noggin. Weight has'nt been an issue with any of them. I really liked my Scorpion EXO-900 in a lot of ways, but the shape (or my head's shape) made it press just a little against my forehead. After a few hours, I'd start to get a headache. Loved the flip-down sunshield and the little removable fabric sealing-flap under the chin. Kept cold air out the best of any helmet I've had when it was in.

Trouble is, very few shops have a wide selection of brands to compare, either, for any of them--helmets, boots, or gloves. Take your time.

Quest is a really nice helmet, kinda the lighter brother to the RF1100, which is still one of my favorites. That said, don't look down your nose at some of the lower priced helmets these days. We've currently got an Arai, Shoei, Shark, and Suomy flip in the house and have had a Scorpion, HJC, & others. Different helmets for different missions and they are all trade offs between noise vs cooling, ease of wearing versus weight/protection, etc. In general terms, anything other than a smooth shell makes noise, including vents, sharp bottom edges, visor edges, etc. Of course less venting is a tradeoff for less summer cooling.

Maybe this will give you a little reading material: https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

I promised myself this year I will buy a new helmet, I currently own a KBC FFR modular. I've been searching for the past 2 years for the perfect helmet if it exists, I like modulars but are heavy, I don't want to spend $700.00 for a Shubert, I want a quiet helmet better visibility from shield and speaker capable. I was interested in the Nolan Triligy but doesn't have detents for shield it is either up or down. I also looked at the Scropion modular but it to is heavy.
I (briefly) tried a KBC FFR, mostly because it was a bargain, and I was so happy with our KBC VR1 helmets.

It was the noisiest, least comfortable helmet that I think I have ever worn.

In contrast, the VR1's are (were) very comfortable, not noisy, but they are full coverage helmets not modular flip faces. The Shoei RF1000 I also have now isn't even as good on those fronts. It fits me well, but isn't quite as comfy or quiet and cost a whole lot more.

I think it's a total crap shoot with helmets. Money means almost nothing. Even a brand name can't be relied on to produce the product that you are looking for (consistently). Once you find one that is right for you, rejoice quickly! As your nirvana will certainly be short lived.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had AGV, Shoei, Bell, Bieffe (Italian, no longer in business), HJC, Vega and Scorpion. I won't buy a helmet anymore that doesn't have a flip down sun visor built in. You get spoiled having it and not having to worry about putting on and taking off sunglasses. I've found that HJC, while cheaper, can be a very comfortable helmet. The Vega had built in bluetooth but wouldn't buy it again. My favorite right now is a Scorpion EX-1000. The flip down sun visor that came with it wasn't dark enough but once changed out was just fine. It took a while to break in but is now comfortable. I agree with a prior post that eh Shoei RF 1000 wasn't worth the money.

I feel your frustration! My 5 year old KBC FFR is getting long in the tooth, and I've been casually shopping for it's replacement. I was impressed with the quality of my son's Scorpion EX until we took our trip last summer.

We were in nearly constant rain all the south from Seattle, through Oregon and down to Fortuna... I was able to keep my FFR pretty dry, but both Ross and his buddy who was riding with us were plagued by a constant stream of water running down the inside of the face shields on their Scorpions. Not a happy time for them!

The search goes on I guess... :glare:

Don

+1 on suggesting the HJC Symax II, it's a real bargain at that site.

I wanted one; but went to local dealer and the XXL, just is too tight on the chin.

Oddly, the Full helmet (non modular) XXL, fit okay???

My GMAX 44 modular XXXL fit perfect, but I surely wanted the Symax II to fit; nifty visor and all.

Good luck with search.

Bought a Shark Evoline Series to about a month ago. Very quiet, much less turbulence and has built in sun shade.

Absolutely LOVE this helmet.

Was half the price of the Schuberth at Competition Accessories.

Pat, hold off a bit. Bell is coming out with a new modular helmet in March for about $200. I have the Bell Star Viper, a lightweight sportbike helmet (was about $600.00). The new Bell Revolver uses the same shields including the new Transition shield & is only a few grams heavier than my Viper.

I have a pencil neck so weight is important. I have a Nolan 102 that IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HEAVYYYYYYYYYY!

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought this one last week:

Clicky

For $64.99, how could I go wrong? If I didn't like it, or it didn't fit, I'd CL it....

After owning a HJC modular and a Scorpion Exo 1000 I found them to be heavy and loud even behind a V stream windshield. So I started doing lots and lots of helmet research and reading I settled on a Shoei RF 1100. My brother in law decieded to get one and I tried it out since we both have the same head size. Could not have been more impressed. So impressed that it was the reason I bought one. So quiet and comfy. Plus having a recess for helmet speakers. Bought a silver and added the Sena bluetooth to it and could not be happier. Now if they would come out with a Transistion face shield it will be a perfect helmet.

Has anyone tried the HJC IS-16? I like the integrated sunshield and it seems to be a good fit for me. Just wondering about wind noise and comfort over a period of several hours.

Latest posts