HELP! Stupid rear axle won't go back in

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the replies!

The problem is solved for now.

Look for my next related thread in about 5000 miles: "HELP! Stupid rear axle won't come out."

Let's take a look at it at the tech meet on the 12th if your game.

Kind of late now but!

You could have slid all the parts over the axel one at a time to make sure each one was not binding in any way. If they all went on freely individually then I would assume it would have been more of an alignment problem. Yeah! the rear wheel can be a bitch but patience is a virtue. Light taps should be all that's required if any at all.

Till next tire change,

Dave

My Grandpa use to say "Don't force it, get a bigger hammer". Swedes say stuff like that.

I used the feet under the wheel trick last year when I changed out the rear rubber - worked like a charm,,,

biknflyfisher

Kind of late now but!

You could have slid all the parts over the axel one at a time to make sure each one was not binding in any way. If they all went on freely individually then I would assume it would have been more of an alignment problem. Yeah! the rear wheel can be a bitch but patience is a virtue. Light taps should be all that's required if any at all.

Till next tire change,

Dave
More or less, that's how I discovered it was sliding easily through the final drive side and the spacer sleeve inside it but not the wheel itself. Removed wheel and axel installed into swingarm with ease. Tried inserting axel through wheel only, from each side, and found it appeared the axel was hanging up starting either with middle bearing or spacer between middle bearing and drive-side bearing.

Not knowing if this is the first time the OP has removed the rear axle.

If it was (is), I would loosen the four acorn nuts holding the rear end to make sure it's not off kilter any and slide the axle home and torque the acorns back up to hold the alignment. Then try putting the rear wheel and bits on...

*edit* I just read the OP doing this... ignore my ramblings...

Last edited by a moderator:
I went through the same h*ll a while back and it was my putting the left side flat washer on the right. The hole is only big enough for the left/threaded turned down shrunk end of the axle.

My trick for supporting the wheel is to use a 2-3 foot length of 1x6 under the wheel as a lever to raise the wheel to the appropriate height. Then jam a wood block under the 1x6 to support it and free up both hands for wiggling and axle pushing.

You really shouldn't have to knock it in. But if you did, the threads should be fine as they are turned down to a smaller diameter than the main body of the axle.

Maybe that one spacer has corrosion or built up dried grease on it? Not worth pulling the wheel bearings to get that spacer out, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator: