Help with Suzuki 800 twin

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiri1

Reaction score
My wife insisted on a cruiser twin for herself so we got her a Suzuki VL800 twin. It is much rougher than my FJR and does'nt warm up near as well - the fast idle is kind of funky. Does anyone have experience with these twins ? Is hers normal ? We took it to the dealer for a factory recall and complained. After riding it, the dealer said it was normal and a small amount of backfire i( which she also has on occasion )is normal too! My FJR is so smooothe in comparison maybe I am expecting too much.

I have some experience with the older VX800 which is similar (but, with some major engine differences). Anyway, the VX800 has 2 carbs and a cable to one which then feeds a cable to the second carb. Carb synch can easily get out of adjustment with this system and may give the symptoms you're describing.

A thorough service would, at least, make that known (or, show up some other issue).

I have some experience with the older VX800 which is similar (but, with some major engine differences). Anyway, the VX800 has 2 carbs and a cable to one which then feeds a cable to the second carb. Carb synch can easily get out of adjustment with this system and may give the symptoms you're describing.A thorough service would, at least, make that known (or, show up some other issue).
Generally sound advice, but not relevant to the Volusia 800 as it has only one carb nestled between the cylinders.

Generally sound advice, but not relevant to the Volusia 800 as it has only one carb nestled between the cylinders.
....didn't know that -- cancel my erroneous advice! Maybe a compression test would be in order ? or, at least, a look at the spark plugs? (pretty safe there, huh?)

Actually, the 2005 volusia ( now called the Boulevard C50 ) is fuel injected and shaft drive - the main reason I bought it. The FI is supposedly the same one used by the Suzuki crotch rockets, and I assume comparable to the FJR. I wonder if a power commander would help?

I had an Intruder 800. It ran smooth, never backfired (stock pipes) and the engine was willing to pull when you kept the rpm's up a bit. Of course it wasn't as smooth as my FJR, but that 800 is a nice little, V-twin. I never knew it to be quirky.

I think you may have some tuning or mechanical issues. If the pipes are stock, I wouldn't expect it to backfire. Maybe the dealer needs to be checked out too? Good luck