Here is a dumb question...FJR vs. Tiger

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anarchoxen

Reaction score
2010 FJR1300a for USD 13,500 (+TTL)

or

2010 Triumph Tiger SE (the special edition model with bags and hand guards) for USD 13,399 (+TTL)

The FJR is 12.5% off MSRP the Tiger is MSRP

AW

Last edited by a moderator:
So what exactly is your question? Which one you should get? Well, which one do you like better? That's the question you should be asking yourself. :p

I've always wanted a Tiger in my stable.

You should buy it.

Then, when you get tired of it, or realize you really wanted an FJR..

I'll offer you a lowball price on the kitty bike!

hey - here to help! :lol: :whistle:

Hmm 145 hp 99lbs/ft (crank) at 641 lbs wet for the FJR (4.42lbs per hp) Shaft drive 6.6 gal tank

111hp/72 lbs ft (crank) at 502 lbs Wet for the Tiger SE (4.52lbs per HP) Chain drive 5.3 gal Tank

Both have ABS

The Tiger is a bit more nimble , but is down on power and range despite the weight advantage. If you are more biased on the SPORT side , I'd say the triumph has a slight advantage. The comparative road tests i'v seen on them lean in that direction as well.

I beleive the hardbags are also extra on the Triumph

I looked at both and really liked the Triumph , but the FJR won out.

Thanks guys.

I am a bit hung up on the chain for this Tiger. Not sure I want to deal with it.

So what exactly is your question? Which one you should get? Well, which one do you like better? That's the question you should be asking yourself. :p
I know, I know...I keep asking myself but don't get a straight answer... :rolleyes:

I don't know your inseam, but I'm 5'10" with a short inseam and had a lot of trouble getting onto the Tiger SE with the bags. It's fine once on the bike, but I found getting on and off the Tiger SE to be a chore compared to the FJR.

I currently have a Tiger and an FJR, and love them both. Both of mine are older than the ones you are considering so my opinions may not apply directly.

Here are the things I could think of quickly...

The Tiger is much, much smoother over rough roads (or any roads for that matter). The 2010 "roadie" you are looking at has less suspension travel, but still more than most street bikes. Unbelievable cornering clearance. You sit high allowing you to see over most cars and straight through most truck windows. Oiling chain sucks. Dealers few and far between. Needed lots of work to get rid of the buffeting at highway speeds. My std warranty was 2 years vs one for the FJR. Limited aftermarket offerings. Can take it off road if you dare to (still heavy). Looks better all mudded up. Triumph seems to be in neutral territory when you get into the American vs. Japan bike discussions.

The FJR has more power. Better wind protection. It has many more features (powered shield, glovebox, remote adjustable headlights, etc.). Easier to handle at parking lot speeds because I'm not on my tip-toes. More power (can't hurt to mention that again). It does everything very well. Seems more refined than Tiger. Great "value" for what you get. Don't know from personal experience, but I expect the FJR has a much longer life span in terms of miles. Similar gas mileage as Tiger.

I'm on my second Tiger and I always plan to have one or something similiar (R1200GS) as an alternate bike.

I currently have a Tiger and an FJR, and love them both. Both of mine are older than the ones you are considering so my opinions may not apply directly.
Here are the things I could think of quickly...

The Tiger is much, much smoother over rough roads (or any roads for that matter). The 2010 "roadie" you are looking at has less suspension travel, but still more than most street bikes. Unbelievable cornering clearance. You sit high allowing you to see over most cars and straight through most truck windows. Oiling chain sucks. Dealers few and far between. Needed lots of work to get rid of the buffeting at highway speeds. My std warranty was 2 years vs one for the FJR. Limited aftermarket offerings. Can take it off road if you dare to (still heavy). Looks better all mudded up. Triumph seems to be in neutral territory when you get into the American vs. Japan bike discussions.

The FJR has more power. Better wind protection. It has many more features (powered shield, glovebox, remote adjustable headlights, etc.). Easier to handle at parking lot speeds because I'm not on my tip-toes. More power (can't hurt to mention that again). It does everything very well. Seems more refined than Tiger. Great "value" for what you get. Don't know from personal experience, but I expect the FJR has a much longer life span in terms of miles. Similar gas mileage as Tiger.

I'm on my second Tiger and I always plan to have one or something similiar (R1200GS) as an alternate bike.
Great reply, thanks for taking the time.

I am all turned around on this choice.

I was almost sure about the FJ then I remembered Triumph was doing the SE model.

Don't let the chain be the deciding factor.

Modern o-ring chains do not need all that much in the way of lubrication, and they last a long time. There are a couple of different "dry-lube" type chain sprays, (including Dupont Multi-purpose Teflon spray) that make chain maintenance a breeze.

I have an older Trumpet ('01 Trophy). The suspension on the Triumphs just suck up the New England bumpy roads like crazy. If the Tiger was just a tad more off-road worthy I'd get one myself. Triples are neat.

Unless you can do all of your own mx, including buying parts online, check out what other local owners think of your Triumph dealer. Loved the Sprint but the local dealer stocked essentially nothing and ordered everything only from the factory. While the dealer family were great people, I learned fast that they weren't able to really support the amount of riding I do, especially since the fastest way to get parts is from a few select outlets, and not through the Triumph ordering and delivery chain.

Otherwise, this one's a situation where you need to ride both and see which you remember the next day.

Bike Bandit does carries Triumph parts, FWIW.

And we have a couple of decent Triumph dealerships in this area.

But that should be a consideration, especially for a new bike (read: warranty work).

The FJR is a better looking bike. Folks will ask about it. You will be the life at parties. You will become more popular and get to hook up with hotter chicks.

The Tiger looks like a dirt bike on steriods. Folks will make fun of it. You will be invited to less parties. You will become more hermit like and only be able to hook up with ugly fat chicks.

That help?

;)

KM

The FJR is a better looking bike. Folks will ask about it. You will be the life at parties. You will become more popular and get to hook up with hotter chicks.

The Tiger looks like a dirt bike on steriods. Folks will make fun of it. You will be invited to less parties. You will become more hermit like and only be able to hook up with ugly fat chicks.

That help?

;)

KM
He said Tiger, not Harley. :rolleyes:

I too looked at the Tiger. I'm an owner of a 07 Bonneville so I'm definetly a fan of Triumph. Have you looked at the Sprint? What kind of riding are you doing? Long distance? Just on weekends?

I went with the FJR for the power and refinement and I haven't regretted it for a moment.

And IMHO the Tiger is one of the butt-ugliest bikes on the road.

I had the exact same problem but threw the Connie and the Multistrada in the mix with the FJR and Tiger. I found the best deal on a brand new FJR and went that way and LOVE it. Still like the Tiger after test riding one and could see owning one but I can't say that I'd sell the feejer for it. See if you can test ride both of them and see which one you like best. My wife was much more comfortable on the FJR as well, as a passenger that is.

Chains SUCK! Once you have a drive shaft you'll understand. Love my FZ1 and KLR but cleaning the chain is a pain in the ass. Doesn't matter how clean they say the lube is you will have to clean the chain and wheel. Amazing how dirty my FZ chain is after a few hundred miles. Even with the best of care you will have to replace sprockets sooner or later.

It's so nice to just drain and replace the pumpkin every 16k miles.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinkin" Yamaha parts are cheaper than those from across the pond.

Of course you could buy used and get both bikes for close to the same amount of $$