FJR Comfort vs. FZ6

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surprised that no one has mentioned that more then a good amount of the top winners for the Iron Butt Association are using FJR's

47 and 5' 10" with a 30" inseam and I have no issue supporting the weight of FJR...

I was flat footing it with the stock seat - but with the LAAM I'm just an inch off my heels, but no problem at all for me.

I sold my '05 FJR to upgrade for a '15.... Made a number of improvements to make it more comfy for me but its perfect now and could easily do non stop miles multiple days on end now. I don't ride as much as many here, but have 6000 miles on the new machine since winter.... and haven't even taken any LD rides yet....

MV Motorad Risers

Canyon cages with highway pegs.

Laam seat

Cee Baileys Med. screen.

Should get you all day comfort.

I Loved my 05 FJR, weighed a large amount of other bike options that are out there but in the end -

Yamaha's reliability, POWER, ergos, POWER, cruise control, POWER, heated grips, POWER, handling and electronic suspension all at the awesome entry price and $400 more for a 5 year warranty I just couldn't figure out a better option for me.... Did I mention POWER ?

Last edited by a moderator:
My FJR is equipped similarly to Warpdrv's, but I have a Russell seat. We share about the same height and inseam length, but I'm a decade older.

On a 2 week cross country trip earlier the summer, I comfortably averaged 675 miles a day on the days I was traveling. Max 816 miles, min 464 miles. Amazed my Harley riding buddies. But I think once you've got the farkles dialed in for your comfort, this is just par for the course on an FJR.

Any bike can be made to fit you. All these suggestions are great, but you could do the same to an FZ6. I have put in a 600 mile day on my wife's FZ6, stock except for the windscreen. I think it handles way better than my FJR, I find it more fun in the twisties, and as long as I am not riding 2 up, love it. My wife and I have done 800+ miles days on the FJR, only changes are a Sergeants seat, Rifle shield and lowered passenger pegs. We ride mostly 2 lane roads, and in a 2 week trip will put on around 7500-8500 miles. The bike is more than capable of it. But then, almost any bike can do it. If I could limit my days to 300 miles (solo) I could do it on my XS650 cafe bike. You seem to like the FJR, it fits you, go for it. A plus over the FZ6 is the seat doesn't get hot in traffic!

BTW, I am 54, 32 inseam, and 166 pounds for reference.

I haven't had the chance to test an FZ6 (would love to though) but came straight from an FZ1 to the FJR.

The FJR is certainly better for the longer distance stuff. It wasn't perfect but Lord knows with the LD community out there, there are plenty of products to tweak the bike and I've done tweaking to make it what I needed. My big reasons for coming over to the FJR were as follows:

1. Better wind protection. As a long time sport bike rider I never believed in weather protection on a motorcycle, but it's amazing how dry you can stay in a rainstorm as long as people don't freak out and start driving 20mph on the highway. In light to moderate rainstorms you can stay pretty dry if you can keep moving. I really did this though for wind protection in the wintertime and there's definitely a night and day difference between the FZ1 and the FJR.

2. Improved electrical system. In short, the first gen FZ1 sucks for electricals. If I ran both my Widder vest and the chaps, I'd have a drained battery. The FJR has gobs and gobs of electricity. Just look at all the crap being run on the Rally bikes and you'll know it's much better on the FJR.

3. Bigger gas tank. This one was kind of a wash for me. The first gen FZ1 had a generous tank for a sportbike. With the FJR I went from having to fill up every third day to every fourth day of commuting. Not that big of an improvement but it helps when traveling as you can cut out one or more fuel stops per day. As for my commuting, I found that working from home helps improve the time between fillups best.
biggrin.png

As for the sportiness of the FJR..well, my decision was made when I had a hard time keeping up with an FJR in the mountains of Arkansas on my FZ1. With a competent rider, the FJR will shred the twisties. With a few modifications to the suspension, it'll do even better. These bikes handle way better than their spec sheets say they should. I'd love to ride an FJR in the mountains of NH and VT where I spent a good deal of time growing up.

70 1/2, 32" inseam or a little shorter, about 5'11", 160#. 2009 with stock seat in low position allows me to flat foot it when stopped, stock windshield fully lowered almost always, handlebars in rearmost factory position. I have no problem with 500+ mile days with fuel stops about every 225 miles. Fuel stops give me a chance to stretch and relax and check my route for the next segment. At the end of of about 10 hours I start to feel a little tension between my shoulder blades but by then I am ready to call it a day anyway and am fine the next day. There may be other bikes that are more comfortable for long rides but I haven't heard of them. The FJR handles beautifully, has outstanding acceleration and braking. Holds a consistent line through corners and handles mid-corner braking well when that happens. If the stock seat isn't to your liking there are a number of seat makers around and you will probably find someone here with experience on virtually every aftermarket seat made for the FJR.

You can read my thread on "thoughts on selling". 45 yr old fit, muscular guy and consecutive days my knees are killing me. Not just bothersome but painful. 5'9" 30 inseam.

Similar riding position as the FZ, but the FJR is much more refined and bigger, you won't tire as quick, and longer days are certainly likely if your knees can take it.

I did some of the recommendations that were given too me from the guys here and a lot helped. Raising the seat helped but no I was bending more and tip toeing. Low seat and I'm almost flat foot.

The big fix for me is to get off the bike more frequently, and not ride tank to tank to tank. If getting off the bike every 100 miles I'm good..

I borrowed a Tenere last week for a few hours. Ergonics were fantastic.. wish it had the FJR's engine.

Good luck.

I am 6ft 6 and the wrong side of 260. I started riding on an FZ6 in 2009. Over the next 5 years I put 17,000 miles on it including the 2013 Republic of Texas 1000 Saddle Sore 1000.

Having said that I had fitted lowered pegs, heightened and lengthened Corbin, soft bags and a Madstad screen. After the SS1000 I decided that rather than try and turn an FZ6 into an FJR I should just go ahead and buy one. I sold my 2009 FZ6, put $3k to is and bought a low mileage 2007. Haven't looked back since.

My buddy has an FZ6R and when we go riding he starts panicking about gas at about 120-130 miles. It's a lot heavier than the FZ, but that weight disappears when you hit about 10 mph.

Wut's the question? :headscratch

I dun got me an '07 FJR 'n a '07 FZ6, 'n yer right, the FZ6 is torture on long rides. Both mine have stock seats; the FJR is stock 'cept fer sum suspension work. The FZ6 has Renthal bars, (Cuz it's my dirt bike.) and lowered foot pegs. (MC Larry's FJR driver peg lowering kits works on the FZ6.)

Even w/ that, the FJR iz way more comfortable for me. I'm 55 yrs old, (In human yrs.) 5'11" 188 lbs and 32" inseam. But not only the seating is bettah on the FJR, but better wind protection, smoother motor, and the shaft is smoother. In fact the FJR is 'bout as comfortable as mah Lazy Boy recliner!

Thank you all for your advice! I just put a deposit down on "Fast Red", a previously enjoyed 2014A posted on the other forum's classifieds and just recently here: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/164889-2014-red-yamaha-fjr-1300-east-coast/

I will be picking her up next week.

I went to my local Yamaha dealer that had a 2014 in stock but already sold to see the color, I fell in love! The 2014 Red is gorgeous, much nicer than most pictures I have seen! Since no other dealers in my area had a 2014 in stock, and I really loved the red, I am going with "Fast Red" which already has some of the Farkles I'd be adding already installed.

Will add pictures as soon as she's mine.

John

Doh !!!!!

I found you a Bike !!!

Congrats.... Looks like you found The One

Editted last post..... read too fast....

Congrats !!!

Glad I could help push you over the edge ~~~ !!!!

Latest posts