Here is a dumb question...FJR vs. Tiger

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 6'2" and had the exact same dilemma. I was looking at the sport tourers and the Tiger. The Sprint's seating was too agressive for me but the Tiger was "real nice" (Cousin Eddie). I then sat on the FJR and that was it for me...perfect. My opinion was also that parts and maintenance might be more abundant/convenient for the FJR and that played a minor role. Honestly I think you win either way although I haven't even THOUGHT about the Tiger since picking up my FJR...

There's probably a doppelganger thread in some Tiger forum filled with the exact same discussion but obviously the decisions went the other way. Good luck and if you choose the Tiger we will all wave as we pass you on the highway and the gas station. ;)

I should also mention that the Triumph Sprint GT should be hitting US dealers in the next few months. Look it up on Google for articles. More tour-oriented riding position, much better performing headlight, I think the brakes are a bit better, bigger bags, etc. It's a revised Sprint ST, but with features moving it a bit closer to the C14 and FJR. It's still chain drive though, but that also means it weighs under 600 pounds wet.

I like Triumphs. The Bonnie is a really fun little bike, very elemental and old school. Not a lot of power or features, just pure motorcycle. Same with the Thruxton. The Speed Triple is my favorite, having plenty of power, cool naked looks, strong aftermarket, and the howl that triple makes is awesome. I think if I was buying a second bike to complement the FJR, it would most likely be a Speed Triple (or possibly a 'Busa).

2010 FJR1300a for USD 13,500 (+TTL)
or

2010 Triumph Tiger SE (the special edition model with bags and hand guards) for USD 13,399 (+TTL)

The FJR is 12.5% off MSRP the Tiger is MSRP

AW
Apart from the Tigers meagre off road capabilities, there is really nothing to compare. The FJR is a full on sports tourer.Performance, handling, comfort for 2 when seats are modified/or aftermarket, etc,etc,etc.

As for the Tiger....... well......It's not full on anything. It really doesn't know itself what it's supposed to be. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my riding buddies has two Triumphs a '96 Trophy 1200 and a '98 Thunderbird Sport he has put on a "Scottoiler" chain lube system on both. He has 30000 plus miles on the Trophy and 15000 plus miles on the T-bird with no issues, changed the chain once on the Trophy. If you are serious about the Tiger after riding it, just put on a Scottoiler. Good luck on your search. Try to road test both bikes and make a decision based on what feels better to you.

Chains SUCK! Once you have a drive shaft you'll understand. Love my FZ1 and KLR but cleaning the chain is a pain in the ass. Doesn't matter how clean they say the lube is you will have to clean the chain and wheel. Amazing how dirty my FZ chain is after a few hundred miles.
I disagree. I currently have 2 other bikes (in addition to the FJR) both have chains (VFR and Trophy). I have used both Belray Chain lube and/or Dupont Multipurpose Teflon Spray.

I never clean either chain. Don't need to, and they are not dirty. When on a multiday ride I'll carry a can of lube and spray the chain first thing in the morning on the centerstand. Start the bike and let it idle in neutral. The cold oil in the transmission will cause the rear wheel to spin a little, perfect for spraying the chain. Takes literally 10 seconds. That's it.

The real lubrication on an o-ring chain is sealed inside the chain itself. The spray on the outside is just to lube the sprocket to side plate interface, which really doesn't have much load, so friction is pretty minimal. Most people over-lube their chains.

Shaft drive is nice, for sure, but the weight penalty is significant.

I have a chain oiler on my FZ1 and would not let lack of a shaft keep me from buying the bike I liked best.

That said:

I travel a lot and it seems there are Yamaha dealers everywhere.

I assume the Tiger has a good owner web site but the FJR sites are the best I've seen. I had an electrical problem on my last trip and had read about it on the boards so had the wire, how to sheet, etc with me and was able to fix it on the road. Otherwise, I'd have been on the trailer.

I hate buffeting and bought an aftermarket shield for my 04 (still not perfect); reading the Tiger web site a few years ago-not sure there was a good solution.

On the Lost Coast road in CA last year the Tiger would have been MUCH better than the FJR-beat me to death!

Getting up there in years and shedding 100# bike weight would be a plus.

You'll have a great time no matter which one you buy. Ian, Iowa

Thanks a lot guys. I had a Warrior in 2002 so I know how great the forum support is for Yamaha, especially the FJR. The Tiger seems to be pretty bullet proof but the lack of a big dealer network is a bit of a bummer. Having come from the Guzzi world, I am fed up with being stuck and stranded. the Tiger seems like she will hold up well so this may not be an issue.

Each bike has it's good and bad for me. The lights on the Tiger are bad, but this Spider issue with the Gen II's has me worried and annoyed. As we all know going via a forum is tough as you generally only see the bad in a bike. On this forum there is a lot more good than bad, but over one the couple of Tiger forums, problems seem to be far and few between.

I am on the east coast of the US, NY/NJ area so we have tons of highways. I do like to travel and have ridden bikes to Myrtle beach and the GP races at Indy. The ride to Indy ended up with me leaving the Guzzi in Ohio and hitching a ride the rest of the way to Indy. The bike came home loaded in a fooking U-Haul. The roads around here suck, so maybe the Tiger is best suited for me but the FJR is, well..you don't need me to sing the praises of the FJR.

I am going to take the weekend to think more and decide on Monday.

Stay safe guys/girls.

AW

I test rode an '08 Tiger and fell in love, decided it was absolutely going to be my next bike. Found an '07 FJR and that is what is in my garage. If I could have 2 bikes the Tiger would be on a very short list also including the new Multi (solely dependent on whether Ducati fixed the rock hard seat) and a BMW GS. I like the adventure style and seating position but it has it's place and the FJR does more for me right now.

2010 FJR1300a for USD 13,500 (+TTL)
or

2010 Triumph Tiger SE (the special edition model with bags and hand guards) for USD 13,399 (+TTL)

The FJR is 12.5% off MSRP the Tiger is MSRP

AW
Test Ride? Did you have a chance to test ride the bikes? That may help in your decision making.

Heard rumor that Triumph is working on a new Tiger, most likely for 2012 though.

Could always watch for a good deal on a used FJR and a Tiger and have both!!!

A topic I have some experience with: my 2006 FJR is the result of a trade on a 2007 Tiger. The Tiger was quick, light and fast. Oooh that motor...

And I don't miss it one bit. The buffeting was terrible. I am 6'2", 33 inseam. For some reason, my extremities would cramp up on me after 30 minutes. How did I deal with this? Twist the loud grip around far enough that my attention is focused elsewhere. This was going to end in one of two ways: 1) losing my license or 2) the OP would be seeing a big greasy stain followed by blue Tiger parts on I-287. Hatred began creeping in on a very good motorcycle.

Now if I feel like cruising in the right lane and make some MPGs and munch some miles, I do so. Mmm, I'm chilly, up goes the shield. Know what? Feel like flashing past that Porsche. What Porsche? The FJR is an awesome bike, and one I think will fit the roadways here in NJ a lot better.

I vowed that if I ever bought a home on the Cherehola Parkway, I'd get another Tiger. Until then, I'll grunt and curse pushing this pig out of the garage, then grin all the way to work and back.

The sound of a good triple is perhaps the most intoxicating sound in motorcycledom...

If the FJR sounded like a triple, I could die and go to heaven right now. Oh, well, I guess I'll just have to soldier on...

Almost impossible to get a test ride of an FJR around here. I was able to get a ride on the Tiger a few years back, but that was the 955 model. Loved the ride, but went with the Guzzi.

I know they are two very different bikes, I'm just not sure of the direction I want to go in. Stick with the naked 'sport tourer' style, or go full blow FJR. I am in and out a lot of traffic being here on the east coast with most of it stop and go traffic. However when on the road I am up in the 70 to 100 mph area all day. I ride quick, I don't like to stick around and I try to put as many cagers behind me as possible. All within the limits of the current laws of course.... :mellow:

A topic I have some experience with: my 2006 FJR is the result of a trade on a 2007 Tiger. The Tiger was quick, light and fast. Oooh that motor...
And I don't miss it one bit. The buffeting was terrible. I am 6'2", 33 inseam. For some reason, my extremities would cramp up on me after 30 minutes. How did I deal with this? Twist the loud grip around far enough that my attention is focused elsewhere. This was going to end in one of two ways: 1) losing my license or 2) the OP would be seeing a big greasy stain followed by blue Tiger parts on I-287. Hatred began creeping in on a very good motorcycle.

Now if I feel like cruising in the right lane and make some MPGs and munch some miles, I do so. Mmm, I'm chilly, up goes the shield. Know what? Feel like flashing past that Porsche. What Porsche? The FJR is an awesome bike, and one I think will fit the roadways here in NJ a lot better.

I vowed that if I ever bought a home on the Cherehola Parkway, I'd get another Tiger. Until then, I'll grunt and curse pushing this pig out of the garage, then grin all the way to work and back.
Thanks for the insight as to the Jersey experience. I am a touch shorter than you at 6'1" so the comparables are right on target as well. How does she handle the pot holes?

And IMHO the Tiger is one of the butt-ugliest bikes on the road.

Thank you, glad to see I'm not the only one that feels that way. :clapping:

KM
I am with you guys on this one. Seems as thow the engineers were confused when designing this bike. They couldn't decide whether to come up with an ADV bike or a street bike. Don't take the bags off because your going to have one big as can hanging off the right side. :blink:

Go with the FJR. :)

Chains SUCK! Once you have a drive shaft you'll understand.
Put me in total disagreement there. Chains are sooo vastly superior in performance it's not even a contest --Perhaps for the lubricated kleenex in the glovebox crowd it doesn't matter.

When I see shaft drive on race bikes I'll take another look -but the HP and weight penalties are huge. I'd sure love to see the FJR go to chain and lose some of it's fat and let some of that HP actually get to the rear wheel.

I disagree. ............
Shaft drive is nice, for sure, but the weight penalty is significant.
Yep, and don't forget HP loss.

I'd suggest anyone typing in Tiger bashing font to take one of the new ones out for a weekend. They are a nice bike and I'd dare say in anything other than a straight line, with similar skilled riders --->the Tiger will smoke the FJR like Cheech Marin on a fresh tystick.

It's a nice bike and that triple is funn'r than shit to ride. The change to cast 17' front wheel on the new ones rules it out for me ...but for a street pussy the bike is as fun as anything out there.

How does she handle the pot holes?
Awesome.*

* Disclaimer: my FJR came with $1000-1500 in suspension upgrades. Hyperpro fork springs and a Penske rear shock. Plush and accurate at the same time. I'm not real possessive of my bikes, so if you're not in a hurry, PM me. Might be able to arrange a test ride for a fellow jersey rider.

Latest posts