HID retrofit with Projectors and Angel Eyes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luis,

Painting the reflectors black would be strictly an aesthetic choice, since the reflectors, in your insall, are moot. Might look good on your '01, considering the black "W" windshield bracket cover and the mirrors. But then, you'd probably want MORE "black" on the front of your bike...I think black powder-coated fork lowers would look good, too, based on your two pictures above.

Have you considered going in to business for yourself doing HID conversions??? If so, post back and let "us" know.
biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
RadioHowie et al

I cannot begin to tell you how well this has turned out. The halos are the bomb as drl's but the hid's just phenomenal! Seriously, I would invite people interested in extra light to attempt something like this. I am not a big diy! If I can do it anyone can! There are many instructional videos on how to do this on YouTube and the retrofit source website...

Thanks all for the advice and the comments! One last thing...for someone attempting this with the ballasts located in the tail, like me...use 16awg wire when connecting ballasts to bulbs! The initial voltage to ignite is super high. Fuse should be 20-30A. I previously put 18awg and the lights would not ignite sometimes. Sometimes just one, sometimes on, flick and off... I changed the wire to 16awg and since then 0 problems! Totally reliable!

Thank you all!

So you have the HID headlights on a switch and can run the bike during the day with just the halos lit?

I'm not sure that I would ever want that, even if it does look really cool. Most of us install extra lights on the front of the bike for added conspicuity. So having those bright HIDs on during the day would be a benefit to safety.

I'm also guessing that the halos are not very visible when the HID projectors are on? I do like the projectors. It would be worthwhile to install the projectors if you want HID headlights

Nice "quote" job there, Fred!
tongue.png
biggrin.png
I had a world class ego maniac boss, when pressed to make a point he would always quote the most intelligent and competent person he knows, he would quote himself
laugh.png
I think Fred continues to have an unsatisfactory experience posting from an iPad.