Hooterville/Bonne Terre to EOM

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSFJR

Reaction score
Just spoke to Smitty and we need to plan on where we will spend Thursday night and get our rooms reserved. Probably Lexington, KY but more likely Owingsville, KY. Smitty mentioned that Indiana Tom, hope I got that right, would like to join us and these would be somewhat logical places for him and anyone else who wants to join us.

A very tentative route, subject to others input, I know that Steve has familiarity with this area, will run us on mostly 2 lane roads up to Lexington from Bonne Terre which is about 520 miles. We should arrive in Lexington about 7pm and Owingsville, another 40 miles about 8 pm with 15 minute breaks every 2 hours. The Super 8 in Lexington is $75, including tax for 2 people in a room. Owingsville, another 40 miles by interstate is also $75.

With the tentative route planned we would arrive in Owingsville about 8 pm and if we leave at 8 am Friday, we would be in Lewisburg about 3 pm. The route would have a several places to take a short cut and save some time.

I am leaving for Wyoming for a camping/fishing trip on my KLR in a few hours so you guys can get it going.

Hooterville riders

Smitty - SMITTY141

Skip - ZZZZIP

Petey -PETEY

Steve - STLFJR

Chester - KSFJR

Damn...I'm missing another Hooterville ride. :)

See you in Lewisburg...petey...you try and keep up okay? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I regret I must veto this ride plan.

There is no food break scheduled other than the 15 minute stops. You know my love for good food is only exceeded by my love of good booze, which is only exceeded by my love of free food or booze.

Sooooo.... anybody know the name and location of the BBQ place Alton Brown stopped at in Bowling Green KY?

Since we may be in the area about lunch time on the way to EOM, I feel a stop is in order. If it is good enough for Alton, it is good enough for me. (I notice he didn't mention the world famous "Mark Twain Dinette" when he ate there while filming his River Run series on Feasting on Asphalt. I can tell you why....).

My love of sea food is only exceeded by my love of BBQ or a steak.... unless it is free, of course.

B)

anybody know the name and location of the BBQ place Alton Brown stopped at in Bowling Green KY?
Don't know about the BBQ place, but I know the place in Evansville Indiana where he had the pig brain sandwiches from the first season. :bad:

We stayed at a Best Western (I believe) at Morehead off I-64 and started our ride last year from there. I'll go back and check my emails later and also check my gps routes to ensure I still have them. There's no real magic to starting there though. We just stayed there cause all of the other guys I rode with trailered in to there and left their trucks/trailers at a friends house down the road a ways.

Chester, I need to see the route you've sent Smitty and maybe there's a better place to stay further south. Send me that route file if you would and tomorrow Ill give a look and see what I can come up with.

Steve

We stayed at a Best Western (I believe) at Morehead off I-64 and started our ride last year from there. I'll go back and check my emails later and also check my gps routes to ensure I still have them. There's no real magic to starting there though. We just stayed there cause all of the other guys I rode with trailered in to there and left their trucks/trailers at a friends house down the road a ways.
Chester, I need to see the route you've sent Smitty and maybe there's a better place to stay further south. Send me that route file if you would and tomorrow Ill give a look and see what I can come up with.

Steve
My thoughts exactly. Petey done skooled me on my coast.... :rolleyes:

Steve
Steve that would be great. When it was originally drafted, I thought that Skip was going to come across and meet us from St. Louis. Indiana Tom may be joining us but he could just run a little bit further south and meet us. Two parts of the route were based upon recommendations from a Readers Digest book of roads to see in the US. I have not been in that area so was basing part of the route on their suggestions.

I will have to send the info later this morning or early afternoon. It is on my other computer and I have to go to the library to get internet access for that computer. It is on Streets and Trips so I hope that works for you.

Chester

Two parts of the route were based upon recommendations from a Readers Digest book of roads to see in the US. I have not been in that area so was basing part of the route on their suggestions.
My method is looking at a detailed map and picking out the swiggliest 2-lane lines I can find. :D

We'll figure it out and if we don't like the route we're on, my other method is chucking the planned route and taking the one that looks best at each rest stop! :yahoo:

My method is looking at a detailed map and picking out the swiggliest 2-lane lines I can find. :D
We'll figure it out and if we don't like the route we're on, my other method is chucking the planned route and taking the one that looks best at each rest stop! :yahoo:
Sounds fine to me. As long as we have enough gas and keep heading east we will get there. The only thing that I want to see for sure is the New River Bridge and that is close to where we are.

Chester

Be nice if we could hit the New River Gorge on the way to Lewisburg.

Then I could skip route #4 (which covers about half of the same ground I plan on doing on route #5 on Monday on my way up to Morgantown), which I was going to do just to see the Gorge.

Then I could pick from #1,2 or 3 for Sat. and Sunday, still see the NRG, and do part of #5 on Monday (catching Seneca Falls).

B)

Edit-- looks like there may be a 7th route that may work NRG in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I plotted a ride last night from Morehead, KY to Lewisburg. It follows the route I took last year, which actually ended in Bluefield, so I stretched it a bit, with some slab at the end for time's sake. It's a full-day, maybe too much for all of us. Lots of twisty mountain roads through many coal mining towns. PM me your email address and I'll send it to the group and you can take a look.

If we decide to do this, we can use Chester's route, with some slight modification, from Bonne Terre to Morehead for Thursday. This also could be a long day, but we can always cut off to the slab when time gets short. There is a nice new Comfort Inn in Morehead that I stayed at last time. We can make reservations there, so we don't get stuck without rooms.

This plan also puts us at I-64 for the night, so if it is raining, we can always just take the slab in on Friday to Lewisburg. Chester's route affords us this opportunity as well, if we get caught in rain, as there are places to jump on the Parkway and get up to I-64. Keep in mind, we will have my XM Weather to guide us around any storms all day, every day. :D

Oh yes, and Smitty and I will both have 2-way radios, so he and I can rotate lead and sweeper. :yahoo:

heres the motel info for Thursday night. I did call and they have room left. Smitty

Super 8 Motel - Morehead, KY

602 Fraley Drive

I-64 Exit State Route 32

Morehead, KY 40351-8881 US

Phone: 606-784-8882