How aggressive can I get with saddlebags?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come on, drag those bags.....................and be sure to post pics.

img_8949.jpg

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I am coming from riding dual sports, and am farily aggressive with my BMW 1150GS in the twisties. I have only had my FJ for about a week now and was initially not impressed with the flickability of the scooter in the tight stuff. After continiously scraping pegs I have removed the previous owners installed peg lowering kit and that seems to have helped. I never really though hanging off the seat was really an option on the FJ. Good to see I can return to doing that as I have only another 1/4" of chicken strip left

Great article, thanks for the info.

I am coming from riding dual sports, and am farily aggressive with my BMW 1150GS in the twisties. I have only had my FJ for about a week now and was initially not impressed with the flickability of the scooter in the tight stuff. After continiously scraping pegs I have removed the previous owners installed peg lowering kit and that seems to have helped. I never really though hanging off the seat was really an option on the FJ. Good to see I can return to doing that as I have only another 1/4" of chicken strip left
Great article, thanks for the info.
I think it was already said in this thread... but if you havent done the suspension adjustment yet to your fjr then you really should give it a shot. It made a HUGE difference in the way the bike handles.

My problem is with my old K100RS (greater max lean angle) is because of coworker who doesn't even ride I got in the habit of dipping the bike and leaning away from the turn to make the chicken strips narrower. Now I find that this has become the habit that I have trouble breaking on a bike that has a much more limited lean angle and really NEEDS me to monkey over to a greater extent. ( I have dragged the pegs quite a bit, OK 5 times and counting since June 5th, sometimes to my surprise) On the brighter side in order to top my daily accomplishments, he has to bring up silly stunts, freaks and pro's like stoppies, (Hey, you know what takes real balls?) Boss Hoss's, ( Hey, you what's goes really fast?) and Professional Grand Prix riders at Laguna Seca (Hey, you know who really gets the chicken strips down?).

I find that to go to those extremes (Stoppies: stupid stunt I'm not into or trying with my bike. Boss Hoss: not convinced it's all that fast. Pro GP riders: well, DUUuuUUH!!) to top me is actually a compliment.

OK, a little off topic.

My problem is with my old K100RS (greater max lean angle) is because of coworker who doesn't even ride I got in the habit of dipping the bike and leaning away from the turn to make the chicken strips narrower. Now I find that this has become the habit that I have trouble breaking on a bike that has a much more limited lean angle and really NEEDS me to monkey over to a greater extent. ( I have dragged the pegs quite a bit, OK 5 times and counting since June 5th, sometimes to my surprise) On the brighter side in order to top my daily accomplishments, he has to bring up silly stunts, freaks and pro's like stoppies, (Hey, you know what takes real balls?) Boss Hoss's, ( Hey, you what's goes really fast?) and Professional Grand Prix riders at Laguna Seca (Hey, you know who really gets the chicken strips down?).
I find that to go to those extremes (Stoppies: stupid stunt I'm not into or trying with my bike. Boss Hoss: not convinced it's all that fast. Pro GP riders: well, DUUuuUUH!!) to top me is actually a compliment.

OK, a little off topic.

Why don't you just ask why he doesn't ride to work? <BG>

After all his car doesn't have a turbo like the racecars do, etc, etc.... so he must not have enuf balls to drive a GOOD car, let alone ride a bike....! <BG>

I'm sure you can figure out a daily comeback or two... :yahoo:

Mary

I think it was already said in this thread... but if you havent done the suspension adjustment yet to your fjr then you really should give it a shot. It made a HUGE difference in the way the bike handles.
+1

Two things have made a substantial difference for me:

1. Suspension settings truth and enlightenment courtesy of Jeff Ashe...Linky.

2. And when you're ready to replace/mod suspension components talk to Dave Hodges at www.gpsuspension.com. Tell him you're a forum member. :thumbsup: