How do I wire a double pole double throw switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John_Dumke

Reaction score
Figured it out - Solution in next post :sorry:

I am setting the lights up with 3 options

1) On when the high beams are activated (I have this working)

2) Always off.

3) Always on. (but can't seem to figure out how to wire the switch to include this option)

The switch's backside has 7 prongs looks like this.

A B

C D

E F

G

The switch has lights that light up when the switch is active. I have been able to wire the lights to work with the high beam and off mode, with the following wiring.

C - Lead from FJR high beam relay (blue wire)

E - Activates driving light relay

G - 12v power to activate lights when switch is activated.

But I can't figure out how to use the switch to have the lights always on.

I have run an ohm meter on the switch and it behaves as follows

C connects to A or E depending which direction the switch is operated

B,F, & G are always connected, D becomes connected to these three prongs when not in the center position.

It looks like power needs to go to G to illuminate the indicator lights.

I am using this switch P/N 02408 - DPDT On/Off/On

What is the missing link? :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bingo, the Idiot Light Went on. :headbonk:

A B

C D

E F

G

C - This is the lead to trigger the driving light relay (that is the catch)

A or E is then either 12v power (always on) or Relay power from High beams

D is ground

G is 12v power to power the indicator lights.

Now all I have to do if find the switch cover that I dropped and can't find. :(

John,

Thanks for answering your own question :) . I want to do this to my own lights so this info will come in handy.

I have a schematic of how I did mine if either of you are interested I could E-Mail it to you. PM me with your E-Mail if you want a copy.

Figured it out - Solution in next post :sorry:
I am setting the lights up with 3 options

1) On when the high beams are activated (I have this working)

2) Always off.

3) Always on. (but can't seem to figure out how to wire the switch to include this option)

The switch's backside has 7 prongs looks like this.

A B

C D

E F

G

The switch has lights that light up when the switch is active. I have been able to wire the lights to work with the high beam and off mode, with the following wiring.

C - Lead from FJR high beam relay (blue wire)

E - Activates driving light relay

G - 12v power to activate lights when switch is activated.

But I can't figure out how to use the switch to have the lights always on.

I have run an ohm meter on the switch and it behaves as follows

C connects to A or E depending which direction the switch is operated

B,F, & G are always connected, D becomes connected to these three prongs when not in the center position.

It looks like power needs to go to G to illuminate the indicator lights.

I am using this switch P/N 02408 - DPDT On/Off/On

What is the missing link? :blink:

First off, you don't need a DPDT switch to do what you want. You only need a single pole double throw. A SPDT switch has 3 terminals. One is common (center) and there are two selectable inputs, we'll call 1 and 2. Wire the center (common) contact to the relay that will provide the 12V power to the lights. Wire the #1 contact to the High Beam 12V circuit. Wire the #2 contact to switched 12V (meaning only live when key is switched on). You can also wire the center contact to the LED so you will see when the aux lights are live.

First off, you don't need a DPDT switch to do what you want. You only need a single pole double throw. A SPDT switch has 3 terminals. One is common (center) and there are two selectable inputs, we'll call 1 and 2. Wire the center (common) contact to the relay that will provide the 12V power to the lights. Wire the #1 contact to the High Beam 12V circuit. Wire the #2 contact to switched 12V (meaning only live when key is switched on). You can also wire the center contact to the LED so you will see when the aux lights are live.
This is how I had it done on my former bike, worked great!

"First off, you don't need a DPDT switch to do what you want. You only need a single pole double throw. A SPDT switch has 3 terminals. One is common (center) and there are two selectable inputs, we'll call 1 and 2. Wire the center (common) contact to the relay that will provide the 12V power to the lights. Wire the #1 contact to the High Beam 12V circuit. Wire the #2 contact to switched 12V (meaning only live when key is switched on). You can also wire the center contact to the LED so you will see when the aux lights are live."

The SPDT switch won't provide for the "always off" requirement. Whats needed is a SPDT Center Off switch.

dobias :glare: