How many use cruise above 80 mph?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I set CC above 80 around here all the time. Open freeways and high speed limits here in the Southwest are very different from the congested spaces east of us.

Keeping Connies straight is simple: C10 = the old 1000, C14 = the newer 1400's. Had an old 2001 C10 just before buying my first FJR in '06. What a pig that Connie was.

Even here in the congested eastern states we are starting to see roads marked @ 75mph. Since the unofficial grace allowance is 10 over, you find most of the faster traffic going that fast. In light traffic I'll set the cruise control at 85 and keep the radar ears on high alert.

Difference in price between '13's and '14's isn't all that much. And if you want the ES suspension (I wouldn't want one without it) you'll need to find a '14 or later. Good luck with the shopping.

80 mph is juste under 130 kmph. In France, speed limitation on highway is 130, so I use to cruise above 80 mph. Usualy I cruise on highway at 135-140 kmh (83.89 mph- 86.99 mph) sometime more... in Germany, they are some place without speed limitation. on this road, I used to drive around 136 mph (220 km/h)

I have owned my 13 for almost 3 years and logged about 91K with the 80mph cruise limit. Overall I did not miss higher limits. I kept rationalizing that it kept me in check. The were only a few times I really wished I had a higher limit...Out west in ND/SD/MO and riding locally with my buddy Deagle.
Be forewarned if you have a local riding buddy with a later Gen 3, they know the limitations of the 13. There is a good chance that they will take the lead, set their cruise at 83MPH and ride with their right middle finger flowing in in the wind for you to see.

It's not the end of the world but the fix is easy. Keep an eye on ebay for a 14/15 FJR A ecu. I scored one for $80 last summer and it was a 10 min plug and play. Works perfect and increase the cruise limit. Alternative you could pay $500 OEM prices if it is that much of an issue for you.
First, I have no idea what he's talking about. I wear mittens. Or maybe my fast-red FJR is just faster at cruise-set 82 mph than his 2013 cruise-set 82 mph FJR. I'd blame my weight advantage, but I'm clearly losing that battle.

But to the poster, I've used CC quite a few times over 80 mph. Probably not much over, but over. I like to know that I can if I want/need to. It's like having a motorcycle that goes over 100 mph. I don't do it every ride, but it's nice to know that I can if I want.

That all said, CC in general is a wonderful thing. Wouldn't pass up the right deal on a 2013 over the cruise control limit unless you really think you're going to be spending a lot of time cruising faster than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of our interstates here in Wyoming have 80mph speed limits, so run my cruise at 85 most of the time. Btw, I love love love the cruise control option. Most of the speeding tickets I have gotten in the past happened because I was accidentally speeding...I haven't been pulled over since I've had the FJR.

80 is plenty fast for auto - cruise for me. I might feel differently if I lived out west.
^^^ You would have too.

I 10 is posted at 75.......if you are not running 80+, good chance you will become a highway pancake.
not_i.gif

Nothing quite like riding along the western interstates and seeing them painted in the variegated red mist that happens when an 18-wheeler vaporizes a deer.

Be forewarned if you have a local riding buddy with a later Gen 3, they know the limitations of the 13. There is a good chance that they will take the lead, set their cruise at 83MPH and ride with their right middle finger flowing in in the wind for you to see.
Exact problem I had with my riding buddy with his BMW K1600GT and my old '13A FJR--he would purposely set his CC at slightly above my limit just to jack with me. I kept the bike a couple of years and then traded it on a '16ES--absolutely hated the '13's CC limit and also wanted the electronic suspension which I immediately had buyer's remorse for when it was introduced on the '14's.

Well I have found a 2013 for $8,200 two hours away, a 2014A for $8800 8 hours away and a 2015 ES for $11,000 14 hours away. Is there any risk putting a 14/15 module in the 13?

Just considering all options.

Beary

Is there any risk putting a 14/15 module in the 13?
If you match up the A models or the ES models they should be good to go.

MNFJR05 pioneered the swap, but '16's are a no-no.

Thank God I live in Oregon where sanity still exists somewhat as in 55 mph on secondary roads west of the Cascades with 65 to 70 mph on interstates. 80 mph is ridiculous in a car much less a motorcycle. When I lived in eastern Oregon I hated to travel into Idaho (Idachoke) near Boise with their ridiculous speed limits. seemed like every time I was near Boise there was always backed up traffic caused by a wreck. It gets so bad around Boise on I84 that emergency responders can't get near a wreck, real cool. You got these idiots blasting along at 80+ whilst texting. It has become just nuts out there! Much worse and I'm going to quit motorcycling, just not worth it! In my freaking opinion of course.

Oh yeah, real cool watching a rig vaporize a deer, NOT!!!
grrr.gif

Last edited by a moderator: