hyper lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weekend rider

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I decided to purchase a set of hyper lights and mount to help peeople see the bike during the day as well as night. From all the post I knew they would work very well for being able to be seen day or night. Now comes the decision as to where I want to place them. I searched the form and looked at the pics that people have posted and where they have mounted them. After seeing them, most locations where off to the side of the license plate and they lit up and could be seen very easily.

As I looked at my bike, and from watching cars and trucks follow motorcycles I thought that might be a little low in height for me. Then I was looking at the lugagge rack that I had purchased from Premeir Cycle Accessories and decided that I would mount them it underneath the rack where the helmet locks mount.

This was the ideal location as it would be above the bikes stop and tail light assembly and about 10 inches higher for greater visability by cars or trucks that are following you. It is kind of like the light mounted in the top of the rear window in cars and trucks.

So I made a bracket out of AL. to mount under the rack and to utillizes the holes where the helmet locks go. Next I removed the rear tail section and wired it in and looked where to run the wires so they would not be seen very easily. I'm going to drill a hole in the plastic rack that comes with the FJR to route my wires.

I did this saturday afternoon when I got home from work and then took it for a test ride when it was dark to see how well the lights would be seen mounted that high. To my surprise it enhances it being seen greatly, whether riding by your self or being followed by a truck or car at night time. So sunday I had a chance to try it out during the daylight hours, Hycle and his wife and I went for a little ride in the Berryessa -Clearlake area. Hycle was following me and when we stopped to get a beverage I asked how well it lit up for him , if it was easy to see and what about the height. He remarked easy to see,lit up great and the height was a plus. The results were achieved that I was trying to accomplish, raise the height of the light off the license plate height and directly above the original stop and tail light. and tucked away to where it is hardly noticeable.

Now that I am happy with its location and the results, I will do the final fit up and paint the bracket and re-install and route the wire. and I am good to go.

Total cost of the AL bracket about 5.00 14 inches of 1x 2 AL. angle . the work required for the bracket cut the ends to match the angle of the rack and than a 40 degree angle cut to help with the looks of the bracket so it looks like it part of the rack and not an eye sore then drill two holes for the wires from the light to go through and two holes for mounting the bracket where the helmet holder mounts and that it. about fifteen minutes of actual work. Most of the time is decidind on how the rack should look.

I will be removing later this week for paint and wiring for final installation, I will take some pics and see if I can post them . If I am unable to post them I am willing to send the pics to whom ever so they can post them if they are intrested so others can see what the Hell I am taking about...

The hyperlight kit in the unversial one U2R it has 16 led lights on each light

weekend rider :)

I run HyperLites on 3 bikes including my FJR... From comments my riding bud's have made, I'd say they are effective. You can't show too much information to the cage driver behind you.