Hyperlites - How to install them

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be incorrect. It's just like headlight modulators. It doesn't matter if your local cop doesn't realize it... but there is a FEDERAL law that SUPERSEDES all local laws... making them legal in every STATE IN THE UNION... get it?

carry a copy of the federal law with you (it's easily found with a google search) show it do the dim witted cop that stops you... be on you way...
My googling abilities must be sub par as I couldn't find it.
google for "federal headlight modulator law"...

first hit:

carry this with you on the bike to show any cop that stops you...

That would be incorrect. It's just like headlight modulators. It doesn't matter if your local cop doesn't realize it... but there is a FEDERAL law that SUPERSEDES all local laws... making them legal in every STATE IN THE UNION... get it?

carry a copy of the federal law with you (it's easily found with a google search) show it do the dim witted cop that stops you... be on you way...
My googling abilities must be sub par as I couldn't find it.
google for "federal headlight modulator law"...

first hit:

carry this with you on the bike to show any cop that stops you...
My bad. When I read your post I was thinking taillight modulators, not headlight modulators. No wonder I couldn't find anything on Google. I guess my googling skills are still good. It is my reading comprehension that needs work!

but I have to ask... is anyone having a problem going from one jurisdiction to another? anyone?
I installed mine back in... er... a long time ago (probably 2003). I've had them all over the country (including various long distance rides). I've never had them ever questioned.

That goes for the Hyperlights of the OP as well as headlight modulators that seems to have crept into the thread somewhere.

Thanks, I wish you provided what colors connect to what colors.
Colors may change over time. Readings with a multimeter won't lie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had them all over the country (including various long distance rides). I've never had them ever questioned.
Ditto. For my three sets of Hyperlites (16-bulb units) plus three strings of cheapo red LEDs I use as running and brake lights around my license plate frame. And the same with my over-the-top front lighting (a pair each of Clearwater Kristas and Glendas, plus the two stock headlamps). My Hyperlites just blink away as long as the brakes are on instead of five flashes or so and then going to solid. I guess I could change that, but I think they're more attention-getting this way. And I have thought about it while stopped in front of a LEO on a sloping offramp or something.

But it's not legal here in Cali--I think it's supposed to go solid after five (or four, or three) flashes. And for the front, the law says a maximum of four front-facing white lights, and that's counting the two OEMs as a single unit. So I have five. It would be a hard cop indeed who gave a guy on a motorcycle grief about that, IMO, and none ever has. Maybe if you ran them on full brightness all the time and were blinding people it would be different, but it is a safety issue after all. Guess if you were ticketed, it would just be a "fix-it" ticket anyway that you could get taken care of and have it kind of go away to wherever they go after you prove you've corrected the problem. I see it as being kind of like the guys who carry a gun and say "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six." I like 'em to see me.

Last edited by a moderator:
All done.

Bulbs1484x648.jpg

Bulbs2484x648.jpg

yeah u got it rider...

that's the way mine got hooked up. Pretty tight in there, but worth the effort. I always feel a bit more safe knowing those modulators are working. Hell, the funny thing is that *some* people actually stop 1 or 2 full car lengths behind you... amazing really.

Like another forum members footer says...

BE CAREFUL... IT'S DUMB OUT THERE...

{thread resurrection}

I just ordered a set, and did a search here for info...viola! Found what I was looking for w/o starting a new thread. This n00b is learning!

Latest posts