I love this inexpensive Throttle Lock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinmorris22

Reaction score
I purchased a Go Cruise Throttle lock the other day for my 08 FJR. I have a throttle meister that was on the bike when I bought it but it has started slipping.

After using the two I like the Go Cruise much better, it is $100 cheaper and if I was given the option to choose the one I wanted for free I would still go with the Go Cruise.

Check it out here:

https://www.ridergroups.com/gear-reviews/motorcycle-throttle-locks/

It is one of those simple designs that makes you wonder why you didn't think of it.

I have the same device. Very simple, works great. On and off in a few second.

Me too! Sometimes simple and inexpensive just works. Like the grip puppies as well.

b87e59e6.jpg

Anybody who has complained about their hands going to sleep or cramping, or who has had any discomfort in the hands or wrists should just do this, or one of the other very similar, simple, and cheap throttle lock devices. I have a Vista Cruise, and from what I've seen, they're both about the same in cost and effectiveness. I'm pretty sure a real cruise control would be nice sometimes, but this little gadget gives you MOST of the benefit at a fraction of the cost.

Obviously, you can't set a speed and hold it for miles and miles like a CC, but for an occasional short break in hand position, flexing your wrists, grabbing the hose from your water bottle, anything you want to do for a minute with the right hand, this is fifteen or twenty bucks very well spent.

Anybody who has complained about their hands going to sleep or cramping, or who has had any discomfort in the hands or wrists should just do this, or one of the other very similar, simple, and cheap throttle lock devices. I have a Vista Cruise, and from what I've seen, they're both about the same in cost and effectiveness. I'm pretty sure a real cruise control would be nice sometimes, but this little gadget gives you MOST of the benefit at a fraction of the cost.

Obviously, you can't set a speed and hold it for miles and miles like a CC, but for an occasional short break in hand position, flexing your wrists, grabbing the hose from your water bottle, anything you want to do for a minute with the right hand, this is fifteen or twenty bucks very well spent.
Your comment leads right into mine, so hope you don't mind, as I've used both...

I bought one of these and first, they're not that bad! On the plus side, installation is about a minute :) haha, can't beat that.

But upon use, it was pretty easy to engage, and to adjust for the terrain. So all is good...

except now, when you want to shut it off. I couldn't find a way to do this other than to completely roll the throttle off. Now maybe others found an easier way, but I didn't. And that's when I decided to go to the trouble of making a bracket for the Vista Cruise. The VC u can flick on and off with your thumb, and your speed won't change one iota.

Me? sticking with the VC.

Last edited by a moderator:
To disengage the gocruise fully: (without rolling off the throttle)

Step 1: hold throttle open with right hand to whatever speed you want

Step 2: lift left hand off left handlebar

Step 3: move said left hand over to gocruise and rotate said gocruise rearward

Step 4: move said left hand back to left handlebar

Now was that so hard I ask?

I just pull the clutch and roll off quickly and then back on.

No big deal, no loss of speed.

That's what did not like about the throttle meister, it remained locked until it was disengaged.

This is from ThrottleMeisters WebSite:

Safety Warning

• As with any part or accessory on a motorcycle, improper installation and / or use of the Throttlemeister could cause SERIOUS INJURY or DEATH.
  • Riding a motorcycle is an inherently dangerous activity, and as such should be treated with the utmost respect.
  • The Throttlemeister should never be used by inexperienced riders.
  • Before riding, become acquainted with the operation of the Throttlemeister.
  • Inform anyone who is going to use your cycle that the Throttlemeister is installed and how to disengage it.
  • Do not use in traffic.
  • Do not use on race track or for stunt riding.
  • Do not use in a residential or urban area.
  • Do not use in any situation where precise throttle control is needed.
  • Never take your hands off the handlebars.
  • If you have any reservations about using the Throttlemeister please return it to us for a full refund.
  • Always wear a helmet, eye protection and protective clothing when riding.

The TM is also a common throttle lock, for those that may not be aware of it. And many people find it difficult to engage and disengage. One thing that many do is to use their left hand to adjust it, or they keep it always partially engaged to make it easier to use.

The TM website states clearly, don't use your left hand to engage and disengage it. The one time I bought one, that's what I found myself doing. IMHO, it's unwise. The TM safety warnings agree.

While that may not be Now was that so hard I ask? for you, for others it's out of the question.

enjoy!

I don't use a thottle lock...but if I did...it sounds like the VC would be the way I would go. Too much futzing with the others instead of a simple "flip that sucker on or off"... without changing speed.

I had the Vista Cruise on my last bike and it worked very well, but I just couldn't seem at make it work well on the FJR with the heated grips. I have the Go Cruise now and love it, although it is a little more difficult to get the right speed set. I found an added benefit of the Go Cruise a few weeks ago when riding with my wife. She doesn't have a throttle lock and started complaining of hand cramps, so I pulled mine off and stuck it on her bike. Took all of 10 seconds. Unfortunately, now I have to order another one as she won't give it back.

One of the main reasons many of us use some sort of a throttle lock or even a real cruise control is to give your right hand a break, even if only for a short while. And for the more frugal of us (me) who maybe have more than one bike we ride (3), having one gocruise to move from bike to bike in about 10 seconds or just like the low $20 price, this thing is the cat's pajamas.

Now if someone feels insecure taking either hand off the handlebar for even the few seconds that it takes to rotate the gocruise with the left hand to the "off position", then don't. Either figure out a way to use a finger or thumb on your right hand or manually close the throttle while using the clutch and then throttle back up. I have an AE so that maneuver doesn't work for me on the FJR. I don't even like to do it on my other bike either. I ride quite often for a few minutes once in a while (in safe situations) with my left hand on my thigh to stretch my back and straighen out and move on the seat a little. Same goes with the right hand now with the gocruise. As far as those warnings on the devices, they are there for lawsuit reasons mainly. I would bet 95% of riders routinely ride with only one hand on the handlebars for short durations when safe. I sure see it all the time.

Maybe someone could explain to me why they make throttle locks or cruise controls if not so you can take a hand off the throttle for a short time? If you never are going to take your right hand off the handlebar (for supposed safety reasons), why have either device at all? But hey, variety is the spice of life.

One of the main reasons many of us use some sort of a throttle lock or even a real cruise control is to give your right hand a break, even if only for a short while. And for the more frugal of us (me) who maybe have more than one bike we ride (3), having one gocruise to move from bike to bike in about 10 seconds or just like the low $20 price, this thing is the cat's pajamas.

Now if someone feels insecure taking either hand off the handlebar for even the few seconds that it takes to rotate the gocruise with the left hand to the "off position", then don't. Either figure out a way to use a finger or thumb on your right hand or manually close the throttle while using the clutch and then throttle back up. I have an AE so that maneuver doesn't work for me on the FJR. I don't even like to do it on my other bike either. I ride quite often for a few minutes once in a while (in safe situations) with my left hand on my thigh to stretch my back and straighen out and move on the seat a little. Same goes with the right hand now with the gocruise. As far as those warnings on the devices, they are there for lawsuit reasons mainly. I would bet 95% of riders routinely ride with only one hand on the handlebars for short durations when safe. I sure see it all the time.

Maybe someone could explain to me why they make throttle locks or cruise controls if not so you can take a hand off the throttle for a short time? If you never are going to take your right hand off the handlebar (for supposed safety reasons), why have either device at all? But hey, variety is the spice of life.
Not only do I see riders doing that, I teach it.

That's right, in the Experienced Rider Course, in the first exercise, we do the offset weave with the left hand off the grip and on your thigh. So to answer your first point, it's not insecurity, it's safety. There's a difference.

And for those that have used a throttle lock very much, we know there's no rhyme or reason when you need it, you just do. In traffic or not.

My preference is for something that can easily be engaged and disengaged, without changing speed or potentially losing control. Without me having to take my left hand and adjust something on the right hand throttle.

The idea of pulling in the clutch and than rolling off the throttle is a good one, didn't think of that. But you still have to let the clutch back out and get on the gas and hope to have not changed your speed very much, especially in traffic.

But with the VC you don't have to think about any of the above. Flick your thumb down, flick your thumb up. Relax your hand with it on the grip or with it off, your choice as the situation allows, safely. It's no more complicated than that.

Never had a problem with the Throttlemeister. I can go for miles without readjusting it, or short distances with both hands off the bars if necessary (shit happens). I can engage the TM with the heel of my hand without removing my hands from the bars. Dial it in, and go. It helps to read the directions and understand how it works. It's a very nice and well machined piece of equipment with the side benefit of reducing bar vibrations.

My Suzuki M50, my third bike has some sort of what you describe as a vista cruise. No name on it so not sure who makes it. You can use your thumb to push up or down on the lever to lock/unlock the throttle lock. Came with the bike when I got it and works flawless. Unfortunately I use this bike mainly for backroads and short rides so not much of a need for the device. But nontheless, a well made thing.

A FJR brother I ran into at the shop gave me one of these. It snapped when we tried to put it on my AE as I believe the grip has a larger diameter and this device works in that fashion. My dad had a thumb throttle lock (Vista Cruise??) on his Wing for years. Any AE guys ever have success with one particular device or another? I see lots of devices for the A, but the AE not so much.

In so far as tingling or discomfort or wanting to keep my hand off of the throttle, tingling Yes and a few seconds off the grip seems to do the trick for a while. Discomfort is a bigger issue and is a big reason that I am now a FJR owner and my 83 GSX750e is stabled. Hands off of the throttle are usually to clean the bug that just splattered all over my sunglasses as I like to ride with my visor up and windscreen all the way down or to get into my tank bag.

Any AE experiences would be great. Maybe that grip holder was weak and actually work better.