I Mounted A Frankentank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic metal work. Paint looks good to me but you had mentioned doubts, I don't see it though.

I wish I had a 1000 I would have one from you. My only concern is riser issues and the ability of any tank bag.

I dont see COG as any issue because of the way you designed the split of the tank as you explained. I mean it looks like 2 gallons more which is what a little under 17 pounds?

I would think distance guys would be beating your door down for this.

Has to be the cleanest tank add I have ever seen. And saves all the space of the add on ones for gear and a passenger, and I think your rear collision survival rate went way up compared to the tail dragging tanks and such.

Great workmanship and you got mad skillz!

Thank you for sharing.

FWIW, the reason LD ? IBA guys are not beating down the door is the for events such as the IBY, the total capacity is 11.5 gallons. So, even with this very nice looking tank, riders would still want to add a fuel cell. Basically, since the maximum that is allow (11.5 gallons) is not achieved with his tank, it doesn't really gain you anything for events.

there is a tank mod that has been done, the tower, that went up to 11.5 gallons, but it was not nearly as good looking.

Here are the pics of the BIGASS tank mounted on the bike,with the badges and the spin on gas cap mounted also. I think I will run it to Daytona the color it is ,to see if there are any suprise bubbles in the paint,or other issues. I couldn't really roll the bike outside for some real good shots ,because of the cold and snow that blew through yesterday. Enjoy.

IMG_0886.jpg
Ya can call it Humpy!

Boy that is some very nice work. I've seen mods and farkles and all manner of creativity on MC boards - but this takes the cake. :clapping:

My only comments are... whatta yah gonna do for a tank bag? And yah better where some nut protectors on that thing in case yah go over the front! :p

Scott

there is a tank mod that has been done, the tower, that went up to 11.5 gallons, but it was not nearly as good looking.
it was not nearly as sano a mod as this one and it would appear to lend itself to open book pelvic fractures much more than this one would appear.

it was not nearly as sano a mod as this one and it would appear to lend itself to open book pelvic fractures much more than this one would appear.
Agreed 100%. The "Devils Tower" tank mod had OUCH written all over it if you had any kind of front end impact.

Said it before, this work looks fantastic but for events limiting you to the 11.5 gallons, it doesn't really gain you anything.

I appreciate it for the everyday aspects since I've never really done a long distance event other than my unsent, unrecognized IBR's. Rules mean nothing to me but another 90 miles would.

Freakin awesome tank DT ! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

You must have frozen your ass off looking at that thing reposted on page two by ZW !

My cheeks hurt..damn that's a nice job !

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, it looks OEM.

You performed this MOD on a Gen-II '06?

I have a Gen-I '05.

One of the things I have done to mitigate heat being captured under the tank on the Gen I, is I added a 1/2" spacer below the forward tank mount bolts, which raised the tank up.

Seemed to help with airflow and drafted more air out from below.

...just an additional thought, this might help more heat dispersion (if needed)?

Beautiful job! :clapping:
I agree, it looks OEM.

You performed this MOD on a Gen-II '06?

I have a Gen-I '05.

One of the things I have done to mitigate heat being captured under the tank on the Gen I, is I added a 1/2" spacer below the forward tank mount bolts, which raised the tank up.

Seemed to help with airflow and drafted more air out from below.

...just an additional thought, this might help more heat dispersion (if needed)?

Beautiful job! :clapping:
The Gen 2's don't have a heat problem(LOL)

FWIW, the reason LD ? IBA guys are not beating down the door is the for events such as the IBY, the total capacity is 11.5 gallons. So, even with this very nice looking tank, riders would still want to add a fuel cell. Basically, since the maximum that is allow (11.5 gallons) is not achieved with his tank, it doesn't really gain you anything for events.

This wasn't built so I could enter IB Rallies. I built this ,1-to see if I could,and 2- because when I headed from Missoula ,up to Glacier and then home this summer, the 1st day was just shy of 900 miles and the second day ,I was bent on getting back home,which was 1000 miles ,and it was pissing me off that I was stopping for gas @ around the 230-240 miles on the tank ,and wasting around 20 minutes on a gas and go.I was already in pain ,so if I would have had this tank ,I could have sat in the saddle for another hour or two ,and cut a 1 1/2 off my last day alone(saddle time). Oh ,and 3-because I was tired of being the first out of 3 of us that ride together ,the other two on BMW GT's, to point at my tank and give the "I NEED GAS" signal. They will be begging for MERCY now!!!!!

Here are the pics of the BIGASS tank mounted on the bike,with the badges and the spin on gas cap mounted also. I think I will run it to Daytona the color it is ,to see if there are any suprise bubbles in the paint,or other issues. I couldn't really roll the bike outside for some real good shots ,because of the cold and snow that blew through yesterday. Enjoy.

IMG_0886.jpg
Ya can call it Humpy!

Boy that is some very nice work. I've seen mods and farkles and all manner of creativity on MC boards - but this takes the cake. :clapping:

My only comments are... whatta yah gonna do for a tank bag? And yah better where some nut protectors on that thing in case yah go over the front! :p

Scott

Scott, I'm gonna throw the tank bag on later this week ,and I will try to get a couple of shots. This tank was only raised a total of 1 1/2 inches heightwise from stock, and I usually run my tank bag unexpanded, so I think all will be good . As far as the rear of the tank, look at what some crotch rocket or Duc tanks look like if you want to see tanks that are squared off in back. Thanks for the kind words

I just noticed the neighbors blue chevy truck in the backround. It looks like a closer color match than what I painted my tank. I am gonna catch up with him,and check his paint against a old crashed part that I have.

This wasn't built so I could enter IB Rallies. I built this ,1-to see if I could,and 2- because when I headed from Missoula ,up to Glacier and then home this summer, the 1st day was just shy of 900 miles and the second day ,I was bent on getting back home,which was 1000 miles ,and it was pissing me off that I was stopping for gas @ around the 230-240 miles on the tank ,and wasting around 20 minutes on a gas and go.I was already in pain ,so if I would have had this tank ,I could have sat in the saddle for another hour or two ,and cut a 1 1/2 off my last day alone(saddle time). Oh ,and 3-because I was tired of being the first out of 3 of us that ride together ,the other two on BMW GT's, to point at my tank and give the "I NEED GAS" signal. They will be begging for MERCY now!!!!!
Spoken like a true LD rider. :)

The Frankentank does have applications for folks who ride two up. Tail-dragger tanks have some issues around weight placement, longevity and safety. Modding the stock tank avoids those issues.