I Mounted A Frankentank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is one fine piece of work! Will you be posting a similar report on installation of the frankenbladder you now need? If so, you can omit the photos please.

Photo assist:

Very happy with the Hugger now its fitted. Instructions are poor but its easy to work out how to fit. Its marketed for all marks of FJR as a straight bolt on accessory but I had to do a little filing to get it to fit my MK1.

hugger012.jpg

It comes with a couple  stainless brackets  which its mounts to

hugger009.jpg

hugger010.jpg

First  thing I did was remove the rubber mud flap to give room for the rear of the hugger to sit on the swing arm.

hugger013.jpg

hugger014.jpg

hugger015.jpg

Then I had to remove the brake line bracket (probably won’t need to do this on the MK111  but you will also have to remove the brake line bracket on the MK11 as it will get in the way)

hugger002.jpg

hugger004.jpg

I wasn’t subtle I just cut the bracket so that the brake line could be freed without unbolting it from the calliper and having to re bleed

hugger007.jpg

MK11

hugger005.jpg

Mount the first smaller  bracket to the torque arm

hugger017.jpg

Then mount the  larger bracket to the hub

hugger018.jpg

hugger020.jpg

Then sit the hugger on the swing arm. I had to file a little of the hugger away on the front right leading edge so it would sit properly (you may not need to do this on the MK111) as there a small bit of swing arm casting which won’t let it sit flush.

hugger022.jpg

Once done everything lines up correctly . I then tightened up the four mounting bolts (I added stainless washers which didn’t come with the kit) after putting some thread lock on the bolts.  

hugger033.jpg

Once done I then removed the protective film from the hugger. It sits well, is nice quality , and is secure but it could possibly do with a couple of  Velcro type fasteners at the front  (only time will tell).  

hugger029.jpg

hugger031.jpg

hugger032.jpg

Finished product

hugger034.jpg

hugger035.jpg

hugger036.jpg

All I have to do now is touch up the swings arm. (not caused during the fitting of the hugger)