Idle Problem Solved

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBill

Reaction score
Some may remember my posts on another topic (Valve Adjustment) regarding poor idling after having valve clearances checked. The predominant collective wisdom here was that my fluctuating idle was the result of the cam chain having skipped a tooth during installation of the new, improved CCT during the valve check.

Well: The wisdom was correct! I picked up the bike yesterday, and the shop folks admitted that the chain had skipped a tooth during CCT installation: no charge. On the ride home the old Feej rode just like she ought'a. We'll see if she stays that way.

Thanks to all for the input. WBill

I admit it - I was wrong. Kudos to those that nailed the diagnosis. Glad you got her fixed.

Glad to hear it worked out for ya. And thanks for closing the loop so we now have "Poor idle" as a possible symptom for the skipped tooth blues.

Good deal. :yahoo:

Anytime doing a CCT change do this, per HaulinAshe: Clicky.

My last CCT change I did it HA's way, no issues. Make sure a stealer understands this and does it too. Glad your dealer owned up and fixed it right for you. Awesome! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good deal. :yahoo:

Anytime doing a CCT change do this, per HaulinAshe: Clicky.

My last CCT change I did it HA's way, no issues. Make sure a stealer understands this and does it too. Glad your dealer owned up and fixed it right for you. Awesome! ;)
Yepperz, and that is exactly what happened in my case: too much slack on the crank cog. Kudos to Northland Motorsports in Flagstaff, AZ., for stepping up and making it right. If you're ever in the area and need repairs, Kim is the service manager, and Theron is the mechanic. WBill

Great to hear of folks steppin' up and admitting an error.

Hell, even I once made a mistake, jes sayin'...

.... even I once made a mistake, jes sayin'...
No way, not you Don.... Oh wait, you did buy a Gen2. :p
^^^^^^^^^^^^^That's why I love this guy (in a non-ghey kinda way)....even though he rides an UGLY Bass Boat Blue motorcycle! :p :p
Howie - Bass boats haul arse (especially mine) these days. Ever caught one? :huh: :p
Nahhh.....I got a shot to keep from catchin' that dread disease. :p

Glad to hear it worked out for ya. And thanks for closing the loop so we now have "Poor idle" as a possible symptom for the skipped tooth blues.

Yup, glad you got it sorted out and the shop stepped up and made it right.

Fred, couldn't really call it 'poor idle' in my case....it still idled ok, just 200 - 300 rpm's lower than normal.

Maybe "Idle Change" would better describe it. As soon as I fired it up after timing the cams I knew she was fixed 'cause the idle was back to normal.

Of course, this was with the highly adaptable '05 Galaxy Blue model...other model Feej's may react differently. :rolleyes:

This brings up yet another question...... it appears from this experience that one tooth off on the crank sprocket won't cause any bent valves as they hit the pistons.... does that mean it takes two teeth off to make that happen? What about one tooth off on the camshaft sprocket or two? Who has a spare engine we can play with on the bench?

I've got a cylinder head off of a '04 in my garage along with the cams and a cam chain that I might be able to play with. I've also got 11 crushed valves plus one valve that is so mangled that it can't be driven out of the guide which may limit what I can look at. Next time I have a chance I will take a look at cam misalignment and valve/piston clearance.

couldn't really call it 'poor idle' in my case....it still idled ok, just 200 - 300 rpm's lower than normal.

Maybe "Idle Change" would better describe it. As soon as I fired it up after timing the cams I knew she was fixed 'cause the idle was back to normal.
I would have to believe it was one tooth on the double larger cam gear end and not the crank end in which one tooth has much more detrimental effect

just my 1.5 cents worth

couldn't really call it 'poor idle' in my case....it still idled ok, just 200 - 300 rpm's lower than normal.

I would have to believe it was one tooth on the double larger cam gear end and not the crank end in which one tooth has much more detrimental effect

just my 1.5 cents worth
I'm having trouble wrapping my (limited) brain around this.

So let's say that the chain skipped on the crank sprocket. That would advance the chain by 1/2 link of the chain, right? Which would be 1 tooth on the cam sprockets.

Now imagine that the chain only skipped on the cam by one tooth. So what's the difference?

PS - anyone want to try to launch an airplane off a conveyor belt? :p

just my 1.5 cents worth
With a CCT replacement the forces of gravity will tend to keep the chain located properly on the top cam sprockets....and work against keeping the chain snug on the crank sprocket.

Think you'd have to tip the bike upside down to get the cam sprockets to skip, wouldn't you? ;)