Ignition fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, for the electrically challenged among us (Me), could someone confirm my understanding of how this prevents/resolves the issue? Is the idea that the relay allows for power to be applied or removed without routing all the juice through the ignition switch? :unsure:

You are right. Think of a relay as a remote switch. When you turn the key on your igintion *switch*, it in turn, activates the *switch* in the relay. All the high-power electricity that used to flow through the ignition switch (and cause problems) now flows through the relay, which is designed to carry all that high power juice.

So, the relay is a remote switch that bypasses the large qty of electricity that went to your ignition switch.

Cool, huh!

So, for the electrically challenged among us (Me), could someone confirm my understanding of how this prevents/resolves the issue? Is the idea that the relay allows for power to be applied or removed without routing all the juice through the ignition switch? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right. Think of a relay as a remote switch. When you turn the key on your igintion *switch*, it in turn, activates the *switch* in the relay. All the high-power electricity that used to flow through the ignition switch (and cause problems) now flows through the relay, which is designed to carry all that high power juice.
So, the relay is a remote switch that bypasses the large qty of electricity that went to your ignition switch.

Cool, huh!
Thanks for confirming that. Now I just need to order the parts and learn how to solder. I'll add my name to the list of those who will buy one if they go into production.

Brodie,I definitely think Rickster should add your post to the Bin-O-Facts.

:thumbsup:
added to the bin.

Wow, it made it to the Bin-O-Facts,

I finally made it -
I have a special purpose

:yahoo:

Thanks Rick.

That said, My intent is to produce 25 of these and offer them to whomever is interested on this forum. I'm not ready yet, I need to obtain supplies and tool up for this. I will have them built before I offer them.

If you are handy with electrical things you have the information needed to make your own for just the price of materials.

Our favorite ride has a major flaw that is showing up with mileage. This is an attempt to address the root cause of the ignition switch issue - a thermal runaway situation. If your bike is already showing symptoms of an ignition switch failure, get it fixed. Then install a relay to keep it healthy.

Yamaha, if you're listening... we are doing your job! :angry2:

Brodie

Brodie, I have had two failures on my 06 AE, one at 8k and the second at 35k. I do not want the hassle of another failure even though Mama Yamaha has been very responsive to cover under warranty. Long story cut short, PLEASE PUT ME DOWN AS AN ABSOLUTE Guaranteed BUYER!!. Thanks

Jumping in here, I have to admit that I am a bit confused. Not to say that this is an infrequent state for me... :blink:

My prior impression was that this is primarily a model year 2006 phenomenon. That all of the documented ignition switch melt-downs had occured on 2006 bikes. There have been other ignition related switch failures, but not the ones where the leads unsolder themselves inside the switch due to the high current flow overheating the solder points.

Am I wrong? Or are people just wanting to do this to all 2nd gens as a prophylactic measure?

Jumping in here, I have to admit that I am a bit confused. Not to say that this is an infrequent state for me... :blink:
My prior impression was that this is primarily a model year 2006 phenomenon. That all of the documented ignition switch melt-downs had occured on 2006 bikes. There have been other ignition related switch failures, but not the ones where the leads unsolder themselves inside the switch due to the high current flow overheating the solder points.

Am I wrong? Or are people just wanting to do this to all 2nd gens as a prophylactic measure?
07s are drpping like flies also. Check out the pinned post on the ignition failuers - 16 pages and going strong. I'd guess that we'll also start seeing the 08s joining the party shortly.

Add me to the growing "I'll Take One" List. Sure beats chopping up the wires with my multitool everytime the switch shits the bed....

If it looks like this relay is going to fly, and if there are a substantial number of requests I may be able to help. Brody, I've got some extra electronic manufacturing capacity that I could put to work building these relay assemblies. I would be willing to build the cables for my cost, not for profit. One advantage is that I would get price breaks for bulk purchasing. Just a thought, PM me if/when there is any interest.