• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

I'm looking for a low mileage 2012, or maybe a 2014 FJR1300A

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tempest,
Yamaha ECM is hardwired with a plug in connector. Yamaha did something though I haven't seen done in other bikes. No OBD tool or plug in is needed to pull codes, it's built into the diagnostic screen of the instrument panel. Easiest vehicle I've ever seen for this sort of thing. Couple of key presses and use of the kill switch lets you toggle through menus and check or clear codes. Easy-peasey.

I also own a Buell and understand your pains even though mine is an early tuber model. I hope this doesn't come across too harshly but straight up you've got to stop comparing your Uly with Yamaha's FJR. They are practically from 2 different planets.Beyond riding on 2 wheels they're farther apart than apples and oranges. The liquid cooled inline 4 cylinder with overhead cams and shaft drive are a proven design and there are forum members with over 300k miles on some of these bikes. While it does require valve checks and occasionally adjustment these are pretty straightforward and lots of tech days pop up with folks willing to help. Oil and filter changes are simple and transmission uses the same oil already in the engine unlike the separation into 2 drains and fills found on your Buell. I've kept my Buell s-2 Thunderbolt mainly because I bought it new in 1995 and book value on it now is abysmal so why sell it. I can tell you that in the 4 1/2 years since buying the FJR, the FJR has added over 62k miles to its odometer. The Buell has added......less than 500.

If you haven't already done so, go test ride the FJR. It only took me one demo ride at Thunder in the Valley in Johnstown, PA back in 2009 or 2010 to know I'd own one someday. Best of luck!
Understood. My inquiry about the ECU connection was more securitry related. I'm a computer engineer, and wireless connections to critical systems like that kind of rub me. I wanted to make sure Yahmmy was still doing it the right way.

Yeah, I am beginning to see the night and day differences in the tech, although my concern is usually lack of information or proprietary information that I cannot get ahold of: stuff that raises cost of ownership over time by making you a slave to a dealership service department. I read some of the how-to blurbs about checking and and adjusting the valve train, and other than being time intensive and being careful to follow the procedure, it was all out there in the open for review, which I appreciate.

I'm fighting with the Uly at present. The engine dies when hitting 4k RPMS and it is warmed up. My Youtube video is pretty descriptive of the problem: https://youtu.be/oL3-aMjYsrw

If I can get Hillview to put me onto a 2016A for $11,500 out the door and legal in PA for a year then I'm sold. They don't have any right now though. I'm learning that most of the dealerships won't do demo rides on the new bikes though. However, if someone makes me a deal I cannot refuse before then...

pre 16's No OBD tool or plug in is needed to pull codes
smile.png

16s need an adapter cable, many have bought the cable and installed a obd2 scanner module, so they can pull codes from their phone or scanner if need to.
That's actually kind of annoying that they removed the functionality to read codes through the panel.

Hey hang.
I currently ride a 2008 Buell XB12XT but poor parts availability and too few options for service have me looking for a better touring bike that still has the personality of a sport bike.

2012 is my model year. I'm a bit gun-shy of the gen-3 bikes but might consider a 2014 if the right deal comes along before I find my 2012. Bike must be low miles, well kept, and I'm looking for a deal I that cannot refuse. Would be better if seller has title in hand.

Prefer something that's not a cross-continental drive from western PA.

Message me here if you're looking for a good home for your well pampered baby.

Regards,

Rob

Rob, I know you want a 2012 but you might want to consider my blue 2006;

Sadly the time has come for me to stop riding after 46 years of fun and adventure. It's a difficult decision but age and health related issues have taken the fun out of it for me. I bought my 2006 FJR new and have added the following items over the years;

Traction Dynamics fork cartridges (installed by TD)

Penske shock (installed by TD)

Remus carbon fiber/stainless mufflers

Sargent seat

Power Commander module

Heli Tour Performance handlebar riser

Throttlemeister

Cee Bailey windsheilds (two different heights/widths)

Michelin Road Pilot 3 (new)

It shows 7181 on the odometer but the digital display was replaced (factory defect) when the bike had about 2,000 miles on it so the true milage is about 9,000. It's in great shape cosmetically and mechanically. I never rode it hard. The Traction Dynamics suspension was added to improve the ride and it is well worth the considerable cost. I live in upstate NY near Rochester. I will provide current pictures if you are interested. You won't find a better ten year old FJR than this one. I'd like to get $7,500 for it because it has over $4,000 worth of high end accessories on it but I will entertain offers. You can reach me my e-mail at 585-737-8787 or by e-mail at [email protected] if you have questions.

Sam Spinelli