in the company of fast women

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riona

Reaction score
Just got back from a Women's Track School day at "The Ridge Motorsports" Circuit in Shelton, WA. I scored a couple of firsts: my first time on a track and my first time as a pillion rider on the back of someone else's bike.

The day was organized by Bellevue Ducati, who hired the track and schlepped the bikes down there in a truck. I chose to send my 06 Honda VFR Interceptor in the transport, and was in two minds about riding down on the FJR so I had both bikes at the track. However, it is 100 miles from where I live, and as a track novice I wasn't sure what state I would be in to ride back after the day, so I "caged it down the slab" and left the FJR for another time. I think it was good that I just had the VFR to worry about, because changing bikes between sessions would have lowered the learning curve I achieved by focusing on just one bike.

There were 4 groups of riders down there (advanced, intermediate, new rider and the women's track school) and we took turns in having 20 minute sessions on the circuit. The women's group got the added benefit of instructors and instruction from 2Fast performance riding school ( www.2-fast.org). We had a classroom session, and then immediately got out on the track to practice during our session, followed by a debrief with our instructor, then back into the classroom. Wash, rinse and repeat 6 times.

Most of us had never been on a track before, so the pace started slow (in the back of a pick up truck, to be exact) as we got oriented to the course, then each session got faster and faster. The last trip around I got 128 mph (indicated) on the main straight before slowing for the corner. Corey and I were both on Interceptors, and we had a bit of a duel going on who could see the highest number along the straight. I had 117 to beat and managed it with a bit to spare. Of course, there were plenty of other people doing this a lot faster, but hey, my first time out !

Anyway, back to the instruction - first classroom session was body positioning - how to slide a butt cheek over, and then swivel the leg out to the side and lean the upper body out. Mark (the class room instructor) didn't actually come out and say "get your tits on the tank" but he made it quite clear that that was the expectation.

The first track session was all about learning the circuit - we were paired off - two riders to each instructor, and we followed our instructor around the course noting his line around each corner. The track also had different colored cones for brake points, tip in points, apex and accelerate away .. which in theory made it easier. In fact I learned the best by trying to see how my instructor (Scott) used the cones - some corners he had a better line for and so I tried to learn his line, rather than just aiming for the next cone.

I won't bore you with the details, but over the classroom sessions / track sessions we covered:

- body position

- braking

- keeping in the power band / gear changing

- passing

- energy management / staying alert

- observation and "thinking ahead" to reduce risk

Over the 6 sessions I gained confidence and really started to get a feel for both the track and for my bike. Riding behind Scott following his line turned into riding in front of Scott, being observed, and getting feedback at the end of the session as to what I needed to improve. Turns out I'm pretty confident on left hand curves, but wimp out on the right handers, for example.

I also got to learn my bike - particularly the tires and engine. I had mounted a new pain of Dunlop Q3's front and rear. They took a few laps to really come to life, but they clearly had way more grip than I had the confidence to use. I did get them nicely scrubbed in, and the "chicken strip" line got narrower and narrower. Partly I was too good at getting the right line and too good at using body position to keep the bike upright. My co-student with Scott, Elizabeth, riding a Ninja 500, was using much more lean angle on her tires, but also going slower around each lap. Her bike, at 400 lbs is more "chuckable" than the 540 lb Interceptor, which covered for her poor use of lines.

Quite how much lean angle I wasn't using became apparent when I got to ride pillion behind one of the Instructors - Steve. The degree of acceleration, barking and leaning into corners was way more than I had risked on my own - and that was riding two-up. After a couple of laps, I had had enough and signlled for a pull into the pits.

Another part of my learning for the day was the throttle response from the Interceptor. The engine has an alarming "blip" at around 7,000 rpm, which meant that it was really hard to keep in control round a corner - I was being over cautious withe the throttle and gear selection to avoid this problem. I knew it was related to the VTEC switch point, where the engine changes from a 2 valve V4 to a 4 valve V4. I really have not minded that on the road, as I tend to just use the "2 valve" part of the power band, but on the track it started to become annoying as my cornering got faster and the need for a linear throttle response got greater.

Eventually I took the bike over to Nels Beyersdorf at Two Wheel Dynoworks. Nels had brought his Dyno Truck to the track and put my bike through its diagnostics while I was in a classroom session. The results - yup, I wasn't making it up. The bike was under-fueled for the whole rev range (probably due to the previous owner installing a set of "LASER" pipes on top of the stock ECU) with a huge lurch right in the middle of the power band. After the final laps, I sent the bike home with uncle Nels for a Power Commander and custom map, which he assures me will smooth the bike out, increase power, remove the lurch, solve world hunger and be one step closer to curing cancer.

So, as I think about the day ....

Expensive - cost of track time, classroom time, new set of tires, Dyno tune and Power commander, CE rated back protector, hotel room, travel, souvenir track jacket, ...

Well worth it - experiences gained, skills learned will certainly increase my enjoyment of motorcycling and I hope will make me a better, safer rider on the street. I did about 100 track miles and learned more in those miles than in the last 10,000 on the street.

Would certainly do it again.

I would also recommend this particular combination to other forum members - track time on its own, without the classroom would be fun, but not provide such a wealth of learning and coaching. Classroom without the chance to practice at the speeds that bring the learning to life yields little. My MCF riders course talked about much of what we covered at the track, but it doesn't really sink in when you are only going 5 mph. Having an instructor/coach to be with out on the circuit is just invaluable.

Riona

PS, yes it did happen and yes there are pictures to prove it - Ducati had a professional photographer at the course all day - I'll post some shots when Ducati has them loaded.

Glad you had a great time. You'll be looking for a track bike now!

Have done some track days on the Triumph at PIR and Oregon Raceway Park and love it. The Ridge is on my list and I'd be there this weekend if it wasn't Father's Day.

Very nice and detailed report Riona!

Thanks for sharing with us your experience!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice report. I've always wanted to try one of these myself but haven't quite made the time for it. I'm jealous!

Riona,

You are indeed a writer, and a good one. Thoroughly enjoyed your story. You had me leaning with you through the curves and shifting purposefully to avoid that "blip" as you called it. I especially enjoyed scratching my head at each new challenge you faced, and then smiling at the new steps you took and the solutions you employed. I"ll probably never be able to afford a track day, but after reading your story, I feel like I just experienced one.

You wanna hear something interesting, Riona? My daughter and I were supposed to go to visit the Tale of the Dragon and enjoy some riding time together in those amazing North Carolina mountains. We've been planning for this for some time. But at the last possible moment, with the bikes all loaded up on the trailer and only dinner and a good night's sleep separating us from heading out, the check engine light and a subsequent trip to a local Firestone store revealed that we had a problem. After canceling our cabin reservations and apologizing to my daughter, I took the van (our tow vehicle) back to the mechanic who had replaced the timing belt just days before the trip. Sure enough, the exhaust cam was off by one tooth. Though he apologized repeatedly, and I struggled to smile and tell him I understood, and "Hey, we all make mistakes," there's still a vacuum in my heart this week. But though we didn't get to carve a single corner in NC this week, I had an amazing time onboard an Interceptor in Shelton, WA. this morning.

Thanks for making my day.

Gary

darksider #44

Riona,

Great description of your introduction to the wonderful world of 'track time' on a bike. I spent a lot of time out at SIR when I lived in the Seattle area and as you said, learned 10,000 more about how to ride a bike then one could ever learn on the street. This past weekend I rode up to Road America here in Wis. and participated in the 'Vintage' motorcycle track weekend. Lots of gals riding and some pretty darn fast ones to boot! Glad you were safe and had a fun time!!

Women riding bikes on the track???WTF?? whats next, women voting!?!?

bike.gif

Thanks for all the positive comments, guys ...

by the way, the observant reader will have noticed the sub-text:

"hey Honey, Father's Day is coming up and look at this ride report written by a woman and saying how much she learned and will be a safer, better rider ....."

A little different than "Can I go on a track day, here's a picture of John getting his knee down on a Ducati and BOY do I want to be able to brag I did that too ...."

Just sayin' .....

Very Good Stuff! I enjoyed every bit of that. I was hanging on every word, focused on the lesson and then... When we started pressing body parts against the tank, I got lost for a few moments!
uhoh.gif
Fortunately, I was able to regain my concentration and finish the report. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I am looking forward to pics. Thanks for sharing this.

Excellent report Riona, thanks.

I'd be interested to hear how much difference this course has made for you riding the FJR on the road?

Al.

Thanks for all the positive comments, guys ...
by the way, the observant reader will have noticed the sub-text:

"hey Honey, Father's Day is coming up and look at this ride report written by a woman and saying how much she learned and will be a safer, better rider ....."

A little different than "Can I go on a track day, here's a picture of John getting his knee down on a Ducati and BOY do I want to be able to brag I did that too ...."

Just sayin' .....
Tarnation!

I thought I was an observant reader, but I was SO enjoying the RR that I missed the sub-text about Father's Day. Or maybe I was distracted, trying to imagine the colors of the cones - or trying to get my butt un-puckered riding pillion!

(The first time my darling bride climbed on the back of my motorcycle in the early days of our relationship, I knew I had a keeper. But my palms get sweaty just thinking about letting someone else grip the throttle and pick a line.)

You wrote a real "page-turner" and my eyes never left the text. I'm so pleased to read that we are helping usher in whirled peas and a cure to "The Big C".

If the rest of society knew of the sacrifices we make on their behalf....

Excellent write up and sounds like you had a really good time.

To touch on something....

Over the 6 sessions I gained confidence and really started to get a feel for both the track and for my bike.
I did about 100 track miles and learned more in those miles than in the last 10,000 on the street.
When asked if a trackday will help a street rider or when someone says "Yea, but I don't want to race" these are the reasons I point them towards trackdays. Heck, I like to try to get in a trackday on any new bike I acquire as it's a great way to feel out the bike and get confident in it. Glad you were able to achieve these goals on your day out.
biggrin.png

Very Good Stuff! I enjoyed every bit of that. I was hanging on every word, focused on the lesson and then... When we started pressing body parts against the tank, I got lost for a few moments!
uhoh.gif
Fortunately, I was able to regain my concentration and finish the report. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I am looking forward to pics. Thanks for sharing this.
<daydream>Yeah, tits down on a tank...usual photos are tits up it seems.

I likey tits down better.<day dream>

Thanks for the report on your track day. It sounds like it was better than a parking lot drill...

uhoh.gif
<daydream>Yeah, tits down on a tank...usual photos are tits up it seems.

I likey tits down better.<day dream>

Thanks for the report on your track day. It sounds like it was better than a parking lot drill...
No, No, NO! I was not asking for pics of the uhhhm, body parts against the tank! I was asking for the other pics she promised. Of course, she should feel free to post whatever pics she chooses...