iphone mount suggestions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use x-grips in my truck and wife's car but chose not to use it on the bike because I've had the phone slip out of it when using it in one of my planes. It's a '47 J3 Cub so it does vibrate a bit compare to the FJR, but I'd be wary of it with potholes.

I use x-grips in my truck and wife's car but chose not to use it on the bike because I've had the phone slip out of it when using it in one of my planes. It's a '47 J3 Cub so it does vibrate a bit compare to the FJR, but I'd be wary of it with potholes.
Did the phone just slide down? Was the phone itself in any other sort of case or enclosure?

I use the X-grips, and the phone is in an Otterbox. It feels very secure. I also mount the phone horizontally, so there's support under and over. To come out it seems like it'd have to slide out sideways. Maybe I'm wrong, but I hope I'm not ;)

Iphones are small and skinny, it would behoove the user to make sure they have them in a decent case to make it thicker and wider for the grips to work properly.

As stated in another thread on this, my Galaxy S4, with a decent case is much larger then the iphones, and there has never been an issue ever....

Did the phone just slide down? Was the phone itself in any other sort of case or enclosure?

I use the X-grips, and the phone is in an Otterbox. It feels very secure. I also mount the phone horizontally, so there's support under and over. To come out it seems like it'd have to slide out sideways. Maybe I'm wrong, but I hope I'm not
wink.png
I had the phone in a fairly sticky silicone protective cover but it was oriented vertically. I suspect if I'd had it held horizontally it would have been fine. I now use this type in the planes and bikes. Still love the x-grip for the 4 wheeled vehicles.

I use the X-grips, and the phone is in an Otterbox. It feels very secure. I also mount the phone horizontally, so there's support under and over. To come out it seems like it'd have to slide out sideways. Maybe I'm wrong, but I hope I'm not
wink.png
I had the phone in a fairly sticky silicone protective cover but it was oriented vertically. I suspect if I'd had it held horizontally it would have been fine. I now use this type in the planes and bikes. Still love the x-grip for the 4 wheeled vehicles.
That does look more secure. Thx

If you go with the Ram X-Grip, just be sure to tether or strap in your phone. I have had my 4s ejected from the grip 2x now in about 1,500 mi of use. First time it hit the ground at ~45MPH (it survived but the back is shattered). The second was at ~65MPH, but luckily was on the charger and the lock in cable connection on the older 4s phone cord saved it. I now only use it if tethered on the power chord or add rubber band straping it to the holder.
Is a very nice mount, but hard to recommend for MC use given the phone/GPS it holds can be launched out. Both times for me were result of had jarring type impacts. Not your common bumpy road / vibrations as the phone/gps stays put and I have never seen it move or slowly work its way out. Things like very large seams or gaps transitioning road surfaces at bridges and the like can send it flying out.
I don't have this issue at all - my iPhone has never shown the slightest sign of moving in over 50k total miles since I started using it and stayed nice and snug even when I highsided on my FZ-1 back in 2011.