iphone navigation apps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None. Not a single one that I am aware of will allow you to pre-plan a route elsewhere, then upload it to the system. They are all basic "point to point" navigators, which is useless because most of us don't stick to the main roads. It's really too bad, as the device is fully capable of being one of if not the best navigation system out there, just due to sheer processing power.

Also of note, the GPS apps tend to eat battery big time. You really need either a 12v charger or a battery pack.

If I'm wrong, I'd love for someone to correct me. I've been looking for this capability for a long, long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using the Garmin Streetpilot app, but it doesn't allow for custom routes. I also haven't seen in any of the reviews where the current apps available allow for custom routes.

I prefer the MotionX GPS app for the iPhone. It's cheap, pre-stores a fair bit of your intended route in case of signal loss (it's an option), and picks pretty good routes. It's better than Garmin IMHO. THAT BEING SAID, I only use it in the car. ;) I don't think any of the cell phone apps out there are ideal for ST yet, but I know plenty of folks who do use them.

I've got the Navigon app on my iPhone4. Navigation interface, maps, etc. works well in the car but sucks on the motorcycle. Drains the battery fast and overheats the iphone. No route planning as others have said was the real dealbreaker for me.

Good concept but if you have the $ the Zumo is a much better solution.

I have the TomTom USA app. I am VERY happy with it. You can't preplan routes but it will get you to where you are going. It has ALL the roads loaded in it so it makes for a big app but you don't need ANY cell signal at all to work. I have rode the smokys for hrs at a time with no cell signal and the app worked flawlessly... It is a bit expensive but well worth it....

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts