Iron Butt Association Magazine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got mine. Have to say that reading all the IBR related articles is starting to make me think more seriously about the Butt Lite and 2015 IBR.

Got mine. Have to say that reading all the IBR related articles is starting to make me think more seriously about the Butt Lite and 2015 IBR.
Tim, I would be disappointed if you did not run the '15 IBR. You are one of the top riders and the FJR domination MUST continue!

Congrats to you for a great '13 ride! ... and thanks for the advice at the start.

Received my issue 28 September 2013. Once again a magnificent issue. Very interesting and helpful articles, great photography. Great seeing faces of ole friends and the successes they are having. Keep up the great work.

Received my fall issue last week but just had a chance to look thru it now. I get to page 18 and I start to smile. It was a blast gettting to meet Scott Thornton riding his 1978 XS1100 and thinking back - Tom & I helped build that sidestand block, re-bolt that rear rack, tape up those loose saddle bags and replace the rear tire/rim. Scott is in my mind one of the toughest riders I have ever met. Thanks for the smile.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted over at the IB site but thought I'd check here also. On page 20 of the Winter issue, the BMW has a plastic shut-off valve on the fuel cell - what is this for?

Canadian FJR

Have the spring issue and it is neat to read about Rex LeGalley's HD. Quite the character! Love the comment he said to Matt at the start of the Iron Butt! Both Scott and I thought it was funny!

If a shut off valve is the question, it is a common component of a fuel cell set up. It is usually located between the cell and the fuel Line out.

There is usually a quick disconnect located in a split so the tank can be removed.

But I fear this question was more complex than that?

I will check that out when I get home. Not a bad idea IMO as the ability to shut down the line in case you had a back flow going. I had that happen to me in the 10n10 rally where fuel began flowing backwards due to heat and an uphill stop at a light.

I wished I had an emergency cut off as I got a good mouthful of gas while the officer that pulled me over observed my predicament.

I now carry a plug cap, guess I could have used the disposable ear plugs that I carry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking at page 20 in the Winter 2013 edition. I see pictures of the blue 94 K1100RS, but I do not see a plastic shut off valve.... What am I missing?

Fall issue just arrived. The article on Ross Copas was great. I had no clue I was shooting the shit with a living IB legend in the parking lot at the 2013 IB Rally.

Many of the stories in the article were previously discussed that evening. I really liked the "full" story about his CBX-1000.

Canadian FJR

Fall issue just arrived. The article on Ross Copas was great. I had no clue I was shooting the shit with a living IB legend in the parking lot at the 2013 IB Rally.
I found that to be the case at many a KC Steak Run or other ride-to-BS as well as smaller 24 hour rallies. The true "big dogs" never think of themselves that way and are there to try their best and have fun just like everyone else. To BS with Fran Crane or Bob St. George, share a room in Gerlach with someone else... only to later learn of the respect they're earned within the community.

A true big dog isn't self-proclaimed and often doesn't embrace the "title".