Joe Cocker dead at 70

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ionbeam

2 FUN
Reaction score
Old fossil news, for those that lived the era and still remember some of it
wink.png

Joe Cocker, the singer and songwriter whose hits like “You Are So Beautiful” made him a legendary star, has died, his agent told the BBC. He was 70 years old. Cocker had a career in the music industry that lasted more than 40 years that was filled with top songs like “With a Little Help from My Friends” and “Ain't No Sunshine.”

His agent told the BBC he died of an undisclosed illness. (Ionbeam heard it was lung cancer.)

Last edited by a moderator:
looked like a speed freak the few times I saw videos of him. Twitching and freaking out like crazy, but hey there is nothing wrong with that. Done the same thing myself a few dozen times. Did it his way for sure and I like that about anyone.

Can't picture him w/o Belushi....he outlived Belushi by a LONG shot...

One of the best "cover artists" ever, IMO. He took some (basically bland) songs and laid down truly gritty, bluesy performances with them, most times eclipsing the original by a lot.

Lots of folks didn't get it. Yeah he was pretty spastic. May have experimented in chemical enhancements. I don't know for sure. Sometimes the creative mind just works that way, running on the ragged edge of insanity. I'm positive artists are way over represented in suicide stats..

I suspect that some of that gritty sound was due to smoking, and that undoubtedly caught up with him in the end. But you know what? 70 ain't all that bad of a run. Hoping I get there myself some day, but not taking any wagers on it.

RIP Joe.

The good old woodstock days. That's what I remember.

Lot's of great tunes for sure.

May he rest in piece,

Dave

Joe Cocker may never know what a lift he gave me during one of life's trials. Listened to "With a Little Help From My Friends" a hundred times during the summer of 1970 while in traction strapped to a hospital circle bed, strung out on morphine recovering from a broken neck. Thank you, Joe Cocker; RIP.