Join Seth and Don Stanley Riding Utah's National Parks!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Morning Mark, for some reason neither one of your links will open up for me on my PC. But, here is the route that Seth and I are taking:

East from Mexican Hat on Route 163 to Bluff, North on 191 to Blanding, Northwest on 95 to Hanksville, then finally West on 24 to Torrey, Utah.
Mark, both of your links are now available for viewing on my PC. Seth and I are NOT taking the Moki Dugway! Even though I now have 6K+ miles on Gisele our 2012 BMW K1600GT, this will be my first trip packing a passenger. Seth now weighs 200 lbs. and is 6' tall, I don't want to pack a big teenager (14) on a long dirt road yet!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark, both of your links are now available for viewing on my PC. Seth and I are NOT taking the Moki Dugway! Even though I now have 6K+ miles on Gisele our 2012 BMW K1600GT, this will be my first trip packing a passenger. Seth now weighs 200 lbs. and is 6' tall, I don't want to pack a big teenager (14) on a long dirt road yet!
The Moki Dugway is not that long and is actually pretty easy going uphill. In the early 90s I led about a dozen Goldwings, some riding double and pulling trailers, up the grade and everyone made it without any problems...although there were a few negative comments on the CBs when the group realized what was happening. I knew that several in the group wouldn't do it if they had any idea of what was coming but once they started it would be a lot easier to go forward then try to turn around and go back. We all had a good laugh about it once we got to the lookout and it was one of the highlights of the trip.

Ahh yhea, i think I would perfer to ride this on my Drz

6207575345_7d298c7173_z.jpg

Hey shinyparts, were are ya gonna meet up with the crew? Btw the weather report next week looks great!

Hey shinyparts, were are ya gonna meet up with the crew? Btw the weather report next week looks great!
Right now I'm watching the weather pretty close so I can get over past Crater Lake to see FJRay in La Pine for a couple hours and say hi. There appears to be a break in the rain and temps up to the 50's Saturday, but if that doesn't work out I'll head South through... ich.... California, then hang a left somewhere.

After that I figured I'd mosey East and hang a right somewhere to Utah. Aside from meeting up with you guys at the first hotel I have no real agenda but to enjoy the view.

EDIT: Shame on me but I haven't given it much thought. I'll probably pack Friday with some maps and go.

I will not be able to make this ride either unfortunately. I was made an offer I could not refuse on a new toy and just couldn't pass it up. It was either ride with a bunch of scallywags or spend my trip money+ on something I had been looking at for a while and accessories to go along with it. So this time the trip lost out.

But I've already purchased my yearly America the Beautiful National Parks Pass, so I feel compelled to use it come Spring. Perhaps a trip out to see that old fuker in Michigan will be in he cards.

Dan
Darn,

I was hoping to meet ya. I'm still on, though the weather is starting to turn nasty. I may have to take a southerly route rather than a planned easterly one. I still need to pick up my pass too. Hope to catch up with ya next year.
Brother Michael, Confucius says: "Be very careful of what you wish for!" Papa Chuy Viejo is very afraid that this is Big-Dan's new "toy" and you don't really want to see the accessories! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Pleasuretoys-glass-dildo.png

I was wondering why Old Michael said Dan was a good roomie. Now I know :dribble:

Thanks for the heads up el jefe!

Hey shinyparts, where are ya gonna meet up with the crew? Btw the weather report next week looks great!
Right now I'm watching the weather pretty close so I can get over past Crater Lake to see FJRay in La Pine for a couple hours and say hi. There appears to be a break in the rain and temps up to the 50's Saturday, but if that doesn't work out I'll head South through... ich.... California, then hang a left somewhere.

After that I figured I'd mosey East and hang a right somewhere to Utah. Aside from meeting up with you guys at the first hotel I have no real agenda but to enjoy the view.

EDIT: Shame on me but I haven't given it much thought. I'll probably pack Friday with some maps and go.
marcusorelius: I speak our native Irish language from the Old Country, so please allow me to translate this from the Gaelic for you:

ShinyPartsUp says - I'm just a lazy and shiftless goat fecking drunken Paddy and I'll get there when I damn well feel like it!

Don, Seth and Utah National Park Riders,

Did you guys see the WINTER STORM WATCH?? Right now the weather around here basically SUCKS! Here's the warning, for your reading pleasure:

Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SALT LAKE CITY UT

1140 AM MDT TUE OCT 4 2011

...COLD WET STORM WITH SNOW IN THE HIGH COUNTRY HEADED FOR UTAH...

.A PACIFIC STORM WILL BRING AN ABRUPT CHANGE IN THE WEATHER ACROSS

UTAH AND SOUTHWEST WYOMING BEGINNING LATE WEDNESDAY. PRECIPITATION

WILL DEVELOP ACROSS MUCH OF THE AREA WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON AND

CONTINUE THROUGH FRIDAY. THE FIRST SIGNIFICANT SNOW OF THE SEASON WILL

DEVELOP LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT IN THE MOUNTAINS AND CONTINUE

THURSDAY AND FRIDAY. TEMPERATURES THURSDAY AND FRIDAY WILL BE SOME

30 DEGREES BELOW WHAT HAS BEEN OBSERVED OVER THE LAST WEEK.

UTZ007>010-517-518-051100-

/O.CON.KSLC.WS.A.0008.111006T0300Z-111007T2100Z/

WASATCH MOUNTAINS I-80 NORTH-WASATCH MOUNTAINS SOUTH OF I-80-

WESTERN UINTA MOUNTAINS-WASATCH PLATEAU/BOOK CLIFFS-

CENTRAL MOUNTAINS-SOUTHERN MOUNTAINS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WOODRUFF...RANDOLPH...ALTA...BRIGHTON...

MIRROR LAKE HIGHWAY...SCOFIELD...COVE FORT...KOOSHAREM...

FISH LAKE...LOA...PANGUITCH...BRYCE CANYON

1140 AM MDT TUE OCT 4 2011

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY EVENING

THROUGH FRIDAY AFTERNOON...

A WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY EVENING

THROUGH FRIDAY AFTERNOON.

* AFFECTED AREA: ALL THE MOUNTAINS OF UTAH

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: ABOVE 8000 FT STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS

IN EXCESS OF A FOOT ARE POSSIBLE. BELOW 8000 FT

ACCUMULATIONS SHOULD BE SIGNIFICANTLY LESS.

* TIMING: RAIN WILL TURN TO SNOW WEDNESDAY NIGHT AS THE COLD

FRONT MOVES THROUGH THE AREA. THE UINTA MOUNTAINS AND

MOUNTAINS OF SOUTHEASTERN UTAH MAY SEE RAIN CHANGE TO SNOW

THURSDAY MORNING. SNOW WILL CONTINUE PERIODICALLY THROUGH

THURSDAY AND FRIDAY.

* SNOW LEVELS: FALLING TO 7000 FT THURSDAY MORNING...LOWERING

TO NEAR 6000 FT THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY.

* WINDS: STRONG SOUTH WINDS ARE EXPECTED WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON

AHEAD OF THE COLD FRONT...BUT WINDS WILL BECOME LIGHT DURING

THE PERIOD OF MOST SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL.

* IMPACTS: ROADWAYS ABOVE 8000 FT ARE EXPECTED TO SEE PERIODS

OF ACCUMULATING SNOW AND SLUSH ON THE ROADS...ESPECIALLY

DURING THE OVERNIGHT HOURS AND DURING PERIODS OF HEAVIER

BURSTS OF SNOW. CAMPERS/HUNTERS AND OTHER OUTDOOR

ENTHUSIASTS PLANNING ON HEADING TO THE HIGH COUNTRY SHOULD

PLAN FOR SIGNIFICANTLY COLDER AND SNOWY CONDITIONS DURING

THIS TIME. ADDITIONALLY... THOSE PLANNING ON BEING IN THE

CANYON COUNTRY OF SOUTH SHOULD PLAN FOR WIDESPREAD AND

POTENTIALLY SIGNIFICANT RAINFALL THURSDAY MORNING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR A MIXTURE OF

SIGNIFICANT SNOW...SLEET...FREEZING RAIN AND OR STRONG WINDS.

CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

Not to worry though, the GOOD NEWS is that as far as I can tell, it is supposed to be warming up (into the low 60's) and drying out. The potential for photographic opportunities with SNOW ON THE GROUND, and Fall colors in the higher elevations will be great! Remember, only babies will be scared by the Watch/Warning above!

Might want to bring your cooler weather riding gear. Looks like we basically skipped Fall, and went straight to Winter.

Take care!

No worries, glad this came in THIS week! Just checked report for Torrey wed 68 sunnny thursday 67 sunny!
I'd say those are PERFECT temperatures!

Thanks,
My original plan was to head through Eastern Oregon/Idaho/Utah Monday and Tuesday. I may have to lay a more southerly course. Suggestions on which routes might be safest appreciated from those with experience.

No worries, glad this came in THIS week! Just checked report for Torrey wed 68 sunnny thursday 67 sunny!
I'd say those are PERFECT temperatures!

Thanks,
My original plan was to head through Eastern Oregon/Idaho/Utah Monday and Tuesday. I may have to lay a more southerly course. Suggestions on which routes might be safest appreciated from those with experience.
I'd say that's probably still the best plan, looking at the long range forecasts for cities along your probable route. It's supposed to warm up and dry out throughout the areas you're traveling. I thought of suggesting heading south into Nevada and cutting over to UT, but the reality is that although the country is desolate, it's often higher elevations and colder this time of year!

I'm betting your trip is going to include just about perfect cooler fall weather.

Just lucky we're not traveling today thru Friday.

Take care,

We arrived in Springdale yesterday... had to adjust our plans and stay an extra day here due to rain here and snow flurries at Bryce. Plan is to ride out tomorrow morning through Zion and into Bryce before arriving in Torrey tomorrow evening. All the weather reports seem to be in everyone's favor in the next week or so... B)

We arrived in Springdale yesterday... had to adjust our plans and stay an extra day here due to rain here and snow flurries at Bryce. Plan is to ride out tomorrow morning through Zion and into Bryce before arriving in Torrey tomorrow evening. All the weather reports seem to be in everyone's favor in the next week or so... B)
Sorry the weather isn't cooperating for you Tyler. Just stay safe.

Tyler,

Stood around in a snowstorm all afternoon near the north rim of the Grand Canyon (working over there today). Yes, the weather report for next week (starting Saturday) looks like a return to normal October weather for this part of the world! Should be about perfect.

Have fun, the scenery should be good!

Don, I may try and meet up with you folks for dinner in Zion/Springdale, but won't be trying to meet up and ride. I've had enough hotel rooms for a little while. Any idea when you plan to be in Zion? I can be at the hotel in under an hour from the house. I'll PM you my cell # for reference if you want to just hit me with a phone call when you get in too. I don't mind waiting around... they have beer in Springdale!

Don, I may try and meet up with you folks for dinner in Zion/Springdale, but won't be trying to meet up and ride. I've had enough hotel rooms for a little while. Any idea when you plan to be in Zion? I can be at the hotel in under an hour from the house. I'll PM you my cell # for reference if you want to just hit me with a phone call when you get in too. I don't mind waiting around... they have beer in Springdale!
Hi Eric, Got your Cell # and I'll call you upon arrival at Driftwood Lodge; Thursday, 10/13 - Driftwood Lodge, Zion, Utah: 1-888-801-8811 https://www.driftwoodlodge.net/