Joining the ES Fray

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My inaugural ride on my '13 was 450 miles on the stock seat, 30s and rainy. Still enjoyed it.
smile.png
Yea, but you're weird Wheatie. ;)

I am happy to see that so many of you are enjoying your Gen 3s. I often tell myself that the Gen 3 cannot be that much better than the Gen 2. No matter how much I tell myself that there is not that much difference, just a few tweaks, I still feel a very big difference between the Gen 3 and the Gen 2.

Just putting the Gen 3 shock on the rear of the Gen 2 was a huge difference. Having the ES is just... It is almost not fair that I have a bike this good.

"Blah, blah, my Gen3 is the best bike ever." You know what is WAY better about my very capable GenII? My payments and insurance. My insurance is low, and my payments are ZERO! Just the way I like them.

"Blah, blah, my Gen3 is the best bike ever." You know what is WAY better about my very capable GenII? My payments and insurance. My insurance is low, and my payments are ZERO! Just the way I like them.
Oh you're just jealous! I have no pmts and insurance of just $354/yr. :p

Oh you're just jealous! I have no pmts and insurance of just $354/yr. :p
Ditto.......I made my last motorcycle payment in 1970.

I'll tell you what is better. Having a great Gen ll and an awesome Gen lll and have no payments!
punk.gif

Just finished a 3800 mile ride out to UT,CO,SD,WY,MT,ID. and home to CA. There is no minor comparison btwn the GenII and GenIII. Cruise control, traction control, ES, and better air flow bring it to a all new level. My riding buddy was on his 2012 GenII and complained every day about throttle cramp. The sport mode in the Rockies, Pikes Peak, Black Hills and Sierras left the Hardley hooligans well behind. Average MPG (47.6) was very good considering the terrain and speed. Found some ethanol free gas in WY. The bike seemed to run even better on that juice.

Welcome to the fold! My FAR ended up with a 700-mile return...after I'd put 600 miles on it over the purchase weekend and had D&H do the initial service. Here are a few pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mojohand/albums/72157641454471383

This bike is so much fun, and so comfortable, and so stable, and so, well, reassuring, that I have no problems with--

I use an Airhawk on the seat, but otherwise I've left the ergos stock. Enjoy!

Welcome to the fold! My FAR ended up with a 700-mile return...after I'd put 600 miles on it over the purchase weekend and had D&H do the initial service. Here are a few pictures:https://www.flickr.com/photos/mojohand/albums/72157641454471383

This bike is so much fun, and so comfortable, and so stable, and so, well, reassuring, that I have no problems with--

I use an Airhawk on the seat, but otherwise I've left the ergos stock. Enjoy!
Your ES looks great!! Are those LED's Denali DM's? I put them on the reflector brackets. If that is what you did, have you noticed they vibrate a lot. I solved that by making a brace from aluminium bar stock. They are vibration free now.

How did you find the AirHawk? I have been using one for years. Just finished a 3800 mile 10 days ride and my ass is just fine.

Looks like the fork mounted lights are connected to the fender bolts, not to the reflector brackets. That looks like a solid installation. Those little reflector brackets will break. I can promise you, they were not designed to hold anything other than the very light reflectors.

Very nice looking bike. I always love seeing pics of other folks' motorcycles. It would seem redundant, but we all have something just a bit different. I have picked up lots of ideas just looking at pics that have improved my ride in one way or another. Thanks for posting the link.

Looks like the fork mounted lights are connected to the fender bolts, not to the reflector brackets. That looks like a solid installation. Those little reflector brackets will break. I can promise you, they were not designed to hold anything other than the very light reflectors.
Very nice looking bike. I always love seeing pics of other folks' motorcycles. It would seem redundant, but we all have something just a bit different. I have picked up lots of ideas just looking at pics that have improved my ride in one way or another. Thanks for posting the link.
Yep, I mounted my lights on the fender bolts too and they are very secure and vibration-free!