Just found my new favourite motorcycle...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a great ride! I just passed the 1000 mile mark and have really started to play more... You are correct in that there is a whole new animal waiting in the upper ranges! I mean it's been fun having power to make a quick pass, but to really lay into the bike is just, well its just awesome. There is a nice long straight stretch on a back road near me... It was redone several years ago, but it is hardly used, so it is wide, flat and concrete and a great place to test the limits... Haven't gone over 120, but that is fast enough for this guy! Can't wait for my first road trip.

I did something the other day that I had not had an opportunity to try before (not that I was looking for one, it just happened).

My son and I were on a long day ride out in the boonies and we came upon a long, deserted two-lane with plenty of room to play. So I ran the FJR up to 100mph (been there a few times, but only briefly). Since conditions were good (zero traffic, no cross-streets, clean, smooth wide roadway) I decided to test the acceleration rate from there. I whacked it to WFO and it jumped like it was shot from a cannon! I was at 120+ in seconds!. Good lord, I'm glad I don't have high blood pressure because this was almost heart-stopping acceleration.

What an astounding motorcycle the FJR is. The rest of the motorcycling world can just eat their hearts out.

Dan

The next thing you need to do is a track day where you can go WFO lap after lap after lap after lap..... and wear your peg feelers down too!

The next thing you need to do is a track day where you can go WFO lap after lap after lap after lap..... and wear your peg feelers down too!
Sadly, we don't have any tracks around here for that. Even if we did, I don't know I'd take my FJR on it. I'd rather take a track rental out. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode my FJR to the track and rented an R6. The rentals are set up to sustain and survive crashes with minimal effect. Minor scuffs on the rental and dislocated ribs were the result of one spill.

In Montana we have ample opportunity to, as safely as possible, explore top ends.

Mine only breaks 5K as necessary to cruise just below or above low triple digits during slab travel (hypothetically speaking). I don't know if I could make myself run the bike up to 8K. Coming from twins, v and flat, it (the FJR motor) sounds abused above 5K, though I know it isn't. Maybe in time..

I don't know if I could make myself run the bike up to 8K.
Trust me - I know the feeling. I didn't do it for the longest time (this is my third FJR since 2008). And there's no shame in that. If you're not comfortable wringing the throttle's neck, that's fine. The FJR is *still* a great bike no matter your RPM range. :)

My pillon isn't happy or satisfied unless I'm crackin that throttle WFO multiple times throughout every ride.....

Who am I to protest ? I mean honestly - its the reason I bought the damn thing.... !!

Why wouldn't someone run it up to redline? I tell you, it won't blow up. And you might have some fun.
I have many times but it is tough dividing my attention between the tachometer and avoiding what I would blast through if I take my eyes off the road for more than one second.

Dan

I love to hear that banshee wail approaching redline. I wind out fairly often, but since the damn thing is moving well in excess of the legal limit at high RPM even in the lower gears, there's not a lot of sustained railing @ 8K

It's difficult to resist the siren call of fjr nominal speeds, but better to throttle back than to hear those other sirens --- the ones accompanied by the flashing red & blue lights...
uhoh.gif