Just found my new favourite motorcycle...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only reason is that I'm tired of getting tickets to the Policemen's Ball!
Oh, don't worry. Policeman don't have balls!!

Wait, what??!!
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
Good one Zilla.

With the exception of one Kawasaki that hit the limiter at an absurdly low RPM, I've never redlined or hit the rpm limiter on any bike, car or truck I've owned, depsite a penchant for speed. Always associated it with abuse and accelerated wear and tear. I'll try creeping up at least a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine only breaks 5K as necessary to cruise just below or above low triple digits during slab travel (hypothetically speaking). I don't know if I could make myself run the bike up to 8K. Coming from twins, v and flat, it (the FJR motor) sounds abused above 5K, though I know it isn't. Maybe in time..
You need to make her sing for you. The FJR engine will run all day at any RPM. Blow that carbon out and let her breathe. She will love you for it.

Not that you should pop that rev limiter constantly but anything below redline is safe and fair game.

No problem whatsoever.

Seriously. It ain't abuse. She was designed for it. She will go multi hundred thousand miles like that. There is a forum member on here with almost 300,000 miles on his 2004. And he does not baby her.

OK...I blame you guys for encouraging my bad habits....

The damn FJR is *way too smooth* at high speeds and RPMs in 3rd gear. This guy agreed with me:
img_52841.jpg

"Sir, you were doing 150kmh (93mph) in a 110kmh (68mph) zone. I could cite you for "excessive speed..."

At this point, I had to strangle the evil little voice in my head that wanted to say, "*That's* what you call "excessive speed"? DUDE! You ain't seen nothing yet - I'VE GOT TWO MORE GEARS LEFT!!"

"...and impound your bike..."

Say what now, Officer!?

Luckily, he cut me some slack and only gave me the regular Performance Award.

I gotta start paying more attention to the speedometer. :(

You shoulda gunned it. That Impala tops out around 140 and takes a bit to get there.

...or not. That's a good way to die. Lol. Sorry you got a ticket.

LOL - brought my new stealth fighter up to 130mph today..... Nice little jaunt to work.....

Nice stretch of highway with new blacktop...... Run 'er up to 130 and easily well back down to 70 in a matter of seconds just letting off the twisty thing...

Showed it some appreciation by washing and a good first coat of wax.....

Not paying attention to Everything around while waking up extra ponies is common to me also. Not long ago heading home from short town ride, I blew right by a city LEO.. Never saw him til I pulled into my neighborhood and he finally caught up to me with lights flashing. But as is the case with a lot of our LEO's here, he has a gixxer at home and pulled me over just to see bike. Whew, close one. But I was upset with myself for missing him to start with. Tunnel vision is very unforgiving.

I picked up my 2013FJR last July, I've had VTwins for the longest time and wanted to get back to a straight 4. I took her to a nice twisty spot with a lot of switchbacks and had a puckering moment. I found out that after passing two old ladies out for a Sunday drive while in second gear ( well above 5k rpm) and banging third with a lot of twist in the throttle WILL bring the front wheel skyward just before the right hand turn. CRAP!!! First you say it then you do it!

Happy to say that we both made it through the turn just fine but boy is this thing fun!!

Too bad about the performance award SK2...93 in third is clipping right along!

You should have pointed out you were on a bagger, no way it'll go that fast!
coolsmiley02.gif

--G

Was fueling up one day when a local Leo pulled on the other side to fuel up as well..................

Nice looking bike he said, looks like she's pretty fast

I answer...........personally I wouldn't know, all the literature says she'll top out at about 158mph, every time I look down I'm always doing the speed limit
winksmiley02.gif

He smiled.............."good answer"

Yeah, the bike definitely changes character when you get into the upper rev range. A lot more VOOOOOM. Torque and HP pretty much go up linearly with the RPM, so you get a lot more OOMPH. If someone is being a jerk on the high way, and you want to get out of their fast, kicking it down into 4th and blasting off can help get you out of that situation.

Yeah, the bike definitely changes character when you get into the upper rev range. A lot more VOOOOOM. Torque and HP pretty much go up linearly with the RPM, so you get a lot more OOMPH. If someone is being a jerk on the high way, and you want to get out of their fast, kicking it down into 4th and blasting off can help get you out of that situation.
I did that a couple weeks ago. Car braked way too early for the congestion ahead and I did a quick mirror check, dropped to 3rd, and shifted lanes.

The LEO two lanes over apparently thought I was being overly aggressive so he pulled up next to me IN MY LANE! and glared at me. Why can't we cite them for violating lane sharing laws?? Now that I think about it, that's the second time in the past few years a LEO's pulled that crap... last time it was a sheriff who didn't see my turn signal and used the shoulder to crowd me out, yelling at me while he did it. </rant>

"Sir, you were doing 150kmh (93mph) in a 110kmh (68mph) zone. I could cite you for "excessive speed..."

At this point, I had to strangle the evil little voice in my head that wanted to say, "*That's* what you call "excessive speed"? You ain't seen nothing yet - I'VE GOT TWO MORE GEARS LEFT!! I drive faster than that in my driveway!"

I did something the other day that I had not had an opportunity to try before (not that I was looking for one, it just happened).
My son and I were on a long day ride out in the boonies and we came upon a long, deserted two-lane with plenty of room to play. So I ran the FJR up to 100mph (been there a few times, but only briefly). Since conditions were good (zero traffic, no cross-streets, clean, smooth wide roadway) I decided to test the acceleration rate from there. I whacked it to WFO and it jumped like it was shot from a cannon! I was at 120+ in seconds!. Good lord, I'm glad I don't have high blood pressure because this was almost heart-stopping acceleration.

What an astounding motorcycle the FJR is. The rest of the motorcycling world can just eat their hearts out.

Dan
Oh, you kid! There was a day when you pooh-pooh'd the FJR...back when you were stuffing overpowered engines into your C10! Glad you came over to the right side of the argument. May the force be with you!

BTW, Mr. Bergmen, my '04 is still going like hell. Now it's 11 years old and I"m as happy with it as the day I picked it up—practically brand new—from a poor guy in Orange County whose wife said he couldn't have a bike no mo'. His loss, my gain.

Next time your up here in the Pacific Northwet you need to come by for a martooni—or three.