Just Got One: Yamaha FZ1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bastards! Ever since taking one on a demo ride at the FJR get-together in Park City, UT in 2006 I have been jones'ing for one of those.

Bastards! Ever since taking one on a demo ride at the FJR get-together in Park City, UT in 2006 I have been jones'ing for one of those.
I rode that one too. Really hard to keep the front wheel on the ground though.
nono.gif
Really different rpm range. Where we run from 4 to 8 grand, that bike ran great from 6 to 13 grand. In a perfect world, I'd have one of those too.

Glad to have another member of the FZ/FJR club!

Here were my Yammie triplets (prior to going retro on the FZ1). 600 for baby bear, FZ1 for Daddy bear, and FJR for Grandpa bear (me when I'm looking for a comfy barcalounger).

IMG_5111%2520%2528640x427%2529.jpg

Since then have added a Kawi-cousin for track day (coming in April) along with the FZ in its new colors.

IMG_0375.JPG

The FZ has been modded for fun vs. comfort since I added the FJR to the stable so has all the usual engine/exhaust upgrades as well as an R1 shock mod. Awesome bike for commuting, way too much fun (and crappy mileage if I'm being honest). The FZ1OA forum is outstanding!

Ok, now that we are showing off....

My first FZ1, which was impaled into the side of an Acura...

oldfz1_1_zps3604f99c.jpg

Yes, that's custom paint. The FZ1 and the Yamaha logos were airbrushed on a beautiful red with metal flake in there that lit up in the sunlight.

oldfz1_2_zps1018282a.jpg

And the last one I sold when I got the FJR.

IMG_6878_zpsa1e730fb.jpg

Gixxerjason, I'm a little disturbed that you would actually agree with this post on FZ1's. Why anyone would pick one of those instead of a GSXR is way, way, way beyond me. Riding one of those instead of a GSXR is sort of like kissing your sister. Not really that hot?

But Hey, What do I know!!!!

MotoSeries. #65

Owned two gixxers. Got my name. Owned two FZ1's. Too damn late to change my name everywhere.
biggrin.png

One thing FZ1's taught me was that gixxers are amazing at the track but FZ1's rule the streets. I will NEVER go back to a bike with clip ons for my street only bike.

At a track very near you, scrapedup.

nl062407_zps63c49d68.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the FZ1 because it is comfortable enough for 400-600 mile rides (with my Corbin seat), I can throw my soft bags on in seconds and change my windshield in minutes. It can be a commuter, a sport touring (not quite the FJR), track bike (not quite a SS), a hooligan machine or a great canyon carver. It gives me the most versatility with the least money (used ones are everywhere and quite reasonable). If I can only have 1 bike, the FZ1 fits the bill for me. Of course, I'm looking to add an FJR for longer, more comfortable sport touring and that Super Tenere is inviting too.
greedy.gif

I like the FZ1 because it is comfortable enough for 400-600 mile rides (with my Corbin seat), I can throw my soft bags on in seconds and change my windshield in minutes. It can be a commuter, a sport touring (not quite the FJR), track bike (not quite a SS), a hooligan machine or a great canyon carver. It gives me the most versatility with the least money (used ones are everywhere and quite reasonable). If I can only have 1 bike, the FZ1 fits the bill for me. Of course, I'm looking to add an FJR for longer, more comfortable sport touring and that Super Tenere is inviting too.
greedy.gif
Exactly!

One of my favorite quotes is "If I can only have one bike, it's the FZ1. If I can have lots of bikes, none will be an FZ1."

Basically, the FZ1 fits the bill for a lot of bikes. Touring, sporting, whatever you need, it'll pretty much do it. Heck, I've even ridden dirt roads in Colorado on my old one. But the sad thing is that it's a jack of all trades, master of none. It doesn't excel in any of the areas it does well at. So if you can afford a sport bike and a touring bike then you've pretty well covered the areas the FZ1 does well at but those bikes will do their thing better. I sold my FZ1 because that's my eventual plan. I got the FJR to handle my commuting and touring duties. Next will be covering the sporting duties.
biggrin.png

Hey guy's, Just bustin your chops, Personally I don't really care what anybody rides, and from the pics it looks like your ridin the wheels off of those FZ1's. If you've checked out some of my previous posts (secret SV society in the Sportbike forum) I loved my SV, that being said, I came by the "Gixxer" in a marvelous stroke of luck. Of course, your not going to be doin 500 or 600 miles on the Gixxer, but let me tell you 2 hrs. of "TWISTIES" at breakneck speeds in SE Ohio is enough for anybody! I heard it once said that its more fun to ride a slow bike fast, then it is to ride a fast bike slow! If you get my point! But hey, what do I know any way? Is it spring yet?.............Dastardly Dave #65

Question for you FZ1 guys. I'm looking at picking up a FZ1 for my wife. I found one close to home with alot of nice farkles. The bike is an 2008 with 10,000 miles on it and he's asking 6500. Are these bikes comparable to the FJR mile wise? To me an FJR is barely broken in at 10,000 but what about the FZ1? What do you think about the price? Its been for sale for over a month so I'm thinking an offer of 6000 would be fair.

Here is the craiglist link:

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/3655460592.html

6K sounds more fair. Folks were rolling brand new ones off the showroom floor in the past few years for like $7500.

They are hit and miss. Some have had valve problems on the Gen I bikes as early as 25K miles. Denise over on the FZ1 Forum has over 200K miles on hers with only minor maintenance.

Those were both Gen I bikes. Had a Gen II go over 100K with the rider doing a 160 mile loop almost daily. Claimed to only change oil and never did a valve check. He sold it for dirt cheap though when he got rid of it. To my knowledge it's still going with another forum member.

Insurance company gave me over $8000.00 with a few less accessories last July for my 08 FZ1. So I don't think the price is out of line. If the bike is sensibly driven I would expect that 10,000 miles would be a non-issue. The re-gearing sort of tells me he may have been a hooligan (liked to Wheelie) or simply didn't like the extremely tall gearing in stop and go traffic. It'll go interstate speed in first gear but I couldn’t imagine trying to keep the front down with lower gearing.
grin.gif

[img=[URL="https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/148302-just-got-one-yamaha-fz1/"]https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/148302-just-got-one-yamaha-fz1/[/URL]
Resampled952012-07-229516-51-0195223.jpg
]

This one was not sensibly driven. Ouch!

6K sounds more fair. Folks were rolling brand new ones off the showroom floor in the past few years for like $7500.
They are hit and miss. Some have had valve problems on the Gen I bikes as early as 25K miles. Denise over on the FZ1 Forum has over 200K miles on hers with only minor maintenance.

Those were both Gen I bikes. Had a Gen II go over 100K with the rider doing a 160 mile loop almost daily. Claimed to only change oil and never did a valve check. He sold it for dirt cheap though when he got rid of it. To my knowledge it's still going with another forum member.
I signed up for the FZ1 board this afternoon but am still waiting for approval. I did a little lurking and did see the threads with the bikes over 100,000 on them. This bike is also in the classified section of that forum.

Insurance company gave me over $8000.00 with a few less accessories last July for my 08 FZ1. So I don't think the price is out of line. If the bike is sensibly driven I would expect that 10,000 miles would be a non-issue. The re-gearing sort of tells me he may have been a hooligan (liked to Wheelie) or simply didn't like the extremely tall gearing in stop and go traffic. It'll go interstate speed in first gear but I couldn’t imagine trying to keep the front down with lower gearing.
grin.gif

This one was not sensibly driven. Ouch!
Damn..that had to hurt.