Just Got One: Yamaha FZ1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question for you FZ1 guys. I'm looking at picking up a FZ1 for my wife. I found one close to home with alot of nice farkles. The bike is an 2008 with 10,000 miles on it and he's asking 6500. Are these bikes comparable to the FJR mile wise?
I have approximately 35,000 miles on mine. Never a hint of a problem. I expect to get 3 times that.

Sounds like mileage isnt really an issue. She has put 22,000 on her ninja 650 in the last 3 years so the FZ1 should be good for a long time. I found a brand new 2012 on sale for 7600 plus fees. With a new one I can get the yes warranty..Hmmm decisions decisions

I'm thinking about getting a high mileage Gen 1 to mess around on, are they as reliable as an FJR?

Maybe even a bit more reliable. Same valve adjust interval, a lot less electric/electronics. They're known to be pretty damn bulletproof. Denise on the FZ1OA board is at 220k mi or so.

If you want to ride a fine example of a gen1 FZ1, I happen to own a very nice '01 with 23k miles. Ivan's jetting, Yosh can, Traxxion Dynamics suspension, new PR2's. Something could possibly be arranged
evil.gif
.However, she's not for sale. I love the thing!

Cool, I'd want to commute on it too, how's your mileage and is it an easy bike to warm up with the carbs?

I'm probably not the guy to get fuel mileage figures from. This bike brings out a bit of hooligan in me. That and the performance jetting nets me mid 30's to low 40's. If I'm being good mid to high 40's are possible. Stock jetting on these bikes is pretty lean. I've never had stock jetting but with Ivan's slip on jet kit the bike starts easily and warms up in a couple minutes. These are carbs and aren't like FI at start up. I can ride away on mine while cold but there is a hesitation until she's warm. Once warm the throttle response is very good, comparable to FI.

The gen1 really needs help in the suspension department. The shock is pretty bad and the newest one will be 8 years old. Undersprung and under damped. Sound familiar? I had mine rebuilt, revalved and resprung by Traxxion D. Forks are more of the same. Can you say nosedive? I installed Traxxion valving on the stock cartridges and resprung. The difference is amazing. The hot ticket now is to use the R6 shock. Guy on the FZ1oa forum does a kit including shock for $165, Wish I'd gone that route.

Ah, you got me started on one of my favorite subjects. If you buy this one https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/3725270316.html I will become your bestest pal. I loves the Bee. I'd buy it but I still love my wife and don't want to live alone
arrowheadsmiley.png

Check out the FZ1OA site https://www.yamahafz1oa.com/index.shtml if you haven't already. One of the best boards on the net, and it ain't slow. Tons of good info there. PM me anytime, I'm happy to help with your quest!
punk.gif

I was getting similar mileage on my Gen I as I get on my FJR. Warms up easy and fast, no worries.

Only downside to the Gen 1 that I found was the piss poor electrical output. If I wore my Widder electric vest in the winter, and was under 4K, then I was using more than I was making. Vest and chaps and I wouldn't have enough juice to start the bike after work. One of the main reasons I made the move to the FJR was so I could do more year round riding to work. Loved my bee but I am loving my FJR more for the type of riding that I do.

Two fine examples of Gen I FZ1 riders are previously mentioned Denise with her bike at over 200K miles and still going, and FazerPhillip. He did the IBR last time round on a Gen I FZ1. He does a lot of LD rides in Europe. He de-farkled his bike and shipped all his parts over to a friend in Colorado who'd helped him acquire a used one stateside. He flew in, farkled it all up, rode to the Rally start point, did the Rally, and then rode back to his friends house. There he defarkled it again, shipped it all back home and left the bike in storage with his friend till he can come back. That's some serious confidence in the bike for sure.

Hmmmmm??? I caught a lot of flak here in 06 when I showed up with my FZ1. This must be a kinder, gentler nation now.
rolleyes.gif

-Roger