Kate's UCCC Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please excuse my ignorance and point it out to me if I missed it, but what is the significance of the tag "in Johns memory" on this thread? I thought I read this thread and the facebook page completely and cannot remember seeing a reference to this. Just curious.

John Ryan, renowned LD rider who holds the record time for Alaska to Key West. Read the book "The Man Who Would Stop At Nothing" John was killed last year on his FJR.

John Ryan's record was broken and the current record is just over 80 hours. Kate is honoring John with this ride. If you look close at the Key West marker photo, Kate struck a familiar pose with her cycle in front of the marker. If you are not familiar, check out John's pose after breaking the record. (She even messed her hair up)
Anyone that met John, misses him and his presence at the IBA/IBR events. She had special ties to him, thus this monster effort to honor him is being made.
When I volunteered to witness, I knew nothing about her story. I just was looking for an excuse to do another Key West ride. The more I learned the more I felt somehow connected and the more I am pulling for her to make it. I am proud of this forum and people like Rick Martin for putting forth an effort to encourage her with a meet up and a ride along. Those little gestures have great meaning to a rider who is doing such an isolated ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the back-story, Tony. We are all behind her in this endeavor.

And yes, we know you will jump on any reason to ride down to the Keys!

Thank you for the answer, while I did not know John, nor ever meet him, I have heard of him, and knew of his passing. I just ordered the book on Amazon. Sorry to temporarily hi jack the thread- please return to wishing her fair-weather and following seas....

At the risk of extreme flaming....30 days? I believe Amtrak could do this in 30 days. What am I missing?

Also, why just CCC? Sooner or later you have to go home. Why not CCCC?

At the risk of extreme flaming....30 days? I believe Amtrak could do this in 30 days. What am I missing?
Also, why just CCC? Sooner or later you have to go home. Why not CCCC?
UCCC is a round-trip C (FL) to C (AK) to C (FL)

The ride for me was just under 12k and took 10 and 1/2 days as I took the long way. A rider must do the Haul Rd. up and back. Key West from and to (In the summer can be a drain)

the Temperature changes, This ride can be the most isolated rides through the Yukon. There are no rest stops for the northern half of the ride. One stretch I amused myself by counting bear (18 Black/9 Grizzly)

She has added challenges to deal with also. Pure admiration coming from me. Her spirit really impressed me! Just attempting this ride is inspiring.

I don't believe Amtrak goes to Deadhorse.

This is an awesome adventure. The kind of "trip of a lifetime" that many dream about, and few ever undertake.

However long it takes Kate to manage this ride, she will have done it and most of us won't :D

This is an awesome adventure. The kind of "trip of a lifetime" that many dream about, and few ever undertake.

However long it takes Kate to manage this ride, she will have done it and most of us won't
biggrin.png
I agree! In fact you could probably assume that 99% of us won't do this. Kate is amazing to even start this adventure.

However long it takes Kate to manage this ride, she will have done it and most of us won't
biggrin.png
I agree! In fact you could probably assume that 99% of us won't do this. Kate is amazing to even start this adventure.
Thus the 30 days is given for this ride.

I think 99.99% would be closer, The IBA site says 20 riders have done the UCCC Insanity.

BTW Kate had a good day mile-wise (Just under 600 Today)

biggrin.png
Thus the 30 days is given for this ride.

I think 99.99% would be closer, The IBA site says 20 riders have done the UCCC Insanity.

BTW Kate had a good day mile-wise (Just under 600 Today)
I think the fact that only 20 IBA riders have attempted to do a "ride of a lifetime" lends doubt to the claim of it being a "ride of a lifetime". Let's see, I get thirty days to do it, I theoretically already enjoy long boring rides, the only real costs are a set of tires, the fuel,an oil change and some campground fees. Must be one hell of a "ride of a lifetime". It costs tens of thousands of dollars, takes years of planning and is 100 times more difficult to climb Mt Everest, yet 20 people an hour do it. I'm sorry but you IBA guys and gals need a little introspection.

Why all the negativity? Let those who enjoy it do it, and you can just ignore them if you so chose. I do not think it is a small matter to average nearly 380 miles a day for 30 days.

While I was on her facebook page last night I spotted a link to donate money to help her out . Yes I donated! And yes I agree with Pterodactyl "Why so much negative thoughts, Bokerfork?"

I think the fact that only 20 IBA riders have attempted to do a "ride of a lifetime" lends doubt to the claim of it being a "ride of a lifetime". Let's see, I get thirty days to do it, I theoretically already enjoy long boring rides, the only real costs are a set of tires, the fuel,an oil change and some campground fees. Must be one hell of a "ride of a lifetime". It costs tens of thousands of dollars, takes years of planning and is 100 times more difficult to climb Mt Everest, yet 20 people an hour do it. I'm sorry but you IBA guys and gals need a little introspection.
Spoken out of true ignorance … (Or with the intention of confrontation)

The UCCC in a nut shell:

The Key West start is usually hot and humid rolling up a chain of islands with views that make you say "Ahh"

Rolling north through the smokies and land between the lakes regions entering the farming lands of the midwest. The changes in terrain and weather

add to the awesomeness of this ride. Then you enter Canada and the farmlands of Saskatchewan, construction zones and weather usually slow the pace.

Whether you opt for the #1 route through Banff or the #16 route through Jasper, the winding roads through the rockies are just pure beauty! The turn north

brings isolation with long stretches of highway with no encounters of other vehicles for sometimes up to hours. The number of "Wows" that go through your mind

build. Then Fairbanks, the Haul Rd. with it's challenges. Atigun pass with its winds, the trucks, construction areas and when you are rolling safely on a hard surface

and a frost heave launches you over your handlebars … and finally Deadhorse. And now to RETURN !

So "Long Boring ride" could only come from the lips (fingers) from someone who has never attempted/completed this ride.

I'm thinking that someone is trolling this thread, and with this comment I am out of discussing it further.

Between 1953 and March 2012, Everest had been climbed a recorded 5650 times. These days, in an average season, it is climbed about 400 times with many of those climbers being Sherpas on repeat missions.

About 200 people a year pay for, and successfully summit Everest. The rest are Expedition staff and Sherpas, and folk who pay but don't reach the top.

Even at 400, that would be 1 every 22 hours, not 20 per hour.

We IBA guys may need a little introspection, from time to time ... and Kate has plenty of time for that, but if you want a reasoned discussion, please don't make stuff up, it doesn't reflect well.

I, myself, wouldn't even begin to undertake this ride. I'm fairly new to the LD style of riding and the events that these folks do. It's through some regional rallies that my wife and I have met Kate and her s/o Anthony. Both are great people and a lot of fun to be around as well as great supporters of all types of riders new and experienced.

When you consider the claim of only 20 riders have completed this challenge and the number of IBA members is now over 60k it's still a remarkably small number of folks who can claim this honor. It's my opinion that anyone demeaning the accomplishment of this ride must be speaking from a lack of knowledge on the subject.

Go Kate!

I'm sorta doing the UCCC. Been up the haul road several times (used to live in Fairbanks) and have made it as far as Arkansas the other way. That has taken several years, but I'll make it to Key West some day and back to AK. 30 days - - - 30 years; not that much of a difference.

Why the negativity? Simple. You IBA folks like to sit on a motorcycle for what to everyone else in the world thinks is a stupidly long time. Fair enough, you like what you like. But for some reason you want the rest of us to stand up and applaud as though you accomplished something. You ride around with license plate frames to prove my point. The thing is this: Why am I supposed to be impressed? I'd be more impressed if you did the same thing in a car. At least in a car you're forced to fight traffic and listen to bad music on the radio. But I'm sorry, I've sat on a motorcycle for stupidly long times. I didn't find it to be fun. I didn't impress myself and I don't brag about it to others.

Go ahead and have your little adoration parties. I'll do us both a favor and stay off these IBA threads.

BTW, my ascertion of 20 climbers an hour was hyperbole, not intended as fact.