Kate's UCCC Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why the negativity? Simple. You IBA folks like to sit on a motorcycle for what to everyone else in the world thinks is a stupidly long time. Fair enough, you like what you like. But for some reason you want the rest of us to stand up and applaud as though you accomplished something. You ride around with license plate frames to prove my point. The thing is this: Why am I supposed to be impressed? I'd be more impressed if you did the same thing in a car. At least in a car you're forced to fight traffic and listen to bad music on the radio. But I'm sorry, I've sat on a motorcycle for stupidly long times. I didn't find it to be fun. I didn't impress myself and I don't brag about it to others.
Go ahead and have your little adoration parties. I'll do us both a favor and stay off these IBA threads.
If you can't say anything nice....

go post on the Beemer foums!

• Most riders would never want to do a ride like this, nobody who respect's Kate's goal cares what they think .
  • Most riders who want to do a ride like this will never have the courage or determination to attempt a ride like this, those that do feel sorry for them.
  • Most riders who would attempt a ride like this may never have the opportunity or support to start (and finish) a ride like this, those that do encourage and help them.
  • Most riders that have done a ride like this, want others to follow in their tracks and offer their advice, assistance, kinship and respect to those who will.

Let's keep this thread positive, for Kate, who I'm sure doesn't give a damn whether you're impressed or not.

GO KATE!!!

Why the negativity? Simple. You IBA folks like to sit on a motorcycle for what to everyone else in the world thinks is a stupidly long time. Fair enough, you like what you like. But for some reason you want the rest of us to stand up and applaud as though you accomplished something. You ride around with license plate frames to prove my point. The thing is this: Why am I supposed to be impressed? I'd be more impressed if you did the same thing in a car. At least in a car you're forced to fight traffic and listen to bad music on the radio. But I'm sorry, I've sat on a motorcycle for stupidly long times. I didn't find it to be fun. I didn't impress myself and I don't brag about it to others.
Go ahead and have your little adoration parties. I'll do us both a favor and stay off these IBA threads.

BTW, my ascertion of 20 climbers an hour was hyperbole, not intended as fact.
So why hijack and trash someone's attempt to complete personal accomplishment that frankly many of us would love to attempt but have not been able to make it a priority yet?

You have been around here long enough to know that. Start your own thread to trash the LD riders if you want, but this is about celebrating and rooting on someone on a very personal journey that many of us understand and appreciate the difficulty she is encountering.

I am thankful that 101stpathfinder posted this up. I would not have known about it otherwise. I too am rooting that she is able to complete the ride! GO KATE!!!!

My 2 cents...

Last edited by a moderator:
So why hijack and trash someone's attempt to complete personal accomplishment that frankly many of us would love to attempt but have not been able to make it a priority yet?
You have been around here long enough to know that. Start your own thread to trash the LD riders if you want, but this is about celebrating and rooting on someone on a very personal journey that many of us understand and appreciate the difficulty she is encountering.

I am thankful that 101stpathfinder posted this up. I would not have known about it otherwise. I too am rooting that she is able to complete the ride! GO KATE!!!!

My 2 cents...
+1 Thanks, Tony, for posting the info so those of us who wish to cheer her on can do so.

P.S. Bokerfork is a weenie. :p

....my ascertion of 20 climbers an hour was hyperbole, not intended as fact.
P.S. Bokerfork is a weenie.
tongue.png
Weenie? Maybe. But he is an admitted hyperbolist. And if there is anything more boring than a symmetrical open curve formed by the intersection of a cone with a plane at a smaller angle with its axis than the side of the cone, I do not know what it is.
no.gif

If you can't say anything nice....

go post on the Beemer foums!

• Most riders would never want to do a ride like this, nobody who respect's Kate's goal cares what they think .
  • Most riders who want to do a ride like this will never have the courage or determination to attempt a ride like this, those that do feel sorry for them.
  • Most riders who would attempt a ride like this may never have the opportunity or support to start (and finish) a ride like this, those that do encourage and help them.
  • Most riders that have done a ride like this, want others to follow in their tracks and offer their advice, assistance, kinship and respect to those who will.

Let's keep this thread positive, for Kate, who I'm sure doesn't give a damn whether you're impressed or not.

GO KATE!!!
Thanks for posting this - and doing so in the sub-forum where folks who enjoy such things will see it.

GO KATE!

Boker, I guarantee I could find something you take joy and pride in, and would be able to give 'reasons' to you that no one else in the world cares about it or thinks it is stupid. But I wont, because I let others do their own thing that squeals their wheels whether or not I understand it.

To each their own, live and let live.

I for one am rooting for her, not many people can do what she is attempting to accomplish, let alone understand what it really takes, its one of those things that is easily dismissed by people who 'can't.' The Debbie downers.

I also like to see others succeed in their goals, no matter what they are. I am in the early stages of getting into LD riding, only this past May completing my first SS1000, but I am hooked, I enjoy it. I don't do it for any one else but me, and do not ask for anyone's approval or applause. I am in awe of what a trip like this takes, it is more than just sitting on a bike for long hours.

I am glad that this trip that Kate is doing was shared with us. She is sharing one of her dreams with us, but it lets me dream a little too.

Within 500 miles of Alaska now … The Yukon has many majestic scenes to enjoy on the way there.

A picture stolen from Don's RR of a rock in Gerlach seems very fitting for this post:

Ride on Kate !!!
34.jpg

I am very thankful for the LD community… We are family !

It looked like she camped at the side of a lake, and the highway last night, unless her Spot went off for a while.

I use a USMC Sleep System that I can throw down anywhere. It's perfectly fine for an overnight stop with motels reserved for longer "pitstops".

Spot is usually good, but doesn't always tell the entire story, so I was a bit unsure where she stayed last night. The satellite image of her "long stop" looked like a place I would have chosen though :D

I'm wondering if there is any way to make this trip without camping? No, I don't get out much.
Easy. Been up and down the Alcan and Cassiar a dozen times or so. Sometimes we camp most nights and sometimes we never camp. I'm all for camping unless it is raining, cold, hot, windy, too many bugs or no facilities. Spent 25 years sleeping in the rocks like a lizard; not doing it anymore when I'm not comfortable.

Go Kate!!!

Looks like she found a motel in Tok to hole up in :)

I thought Fairbanks might be a bit too far, even though it's probably still light.

Golden Bear judging by her Spot. Our favorite motel in Tok. They'll let you put your bike under the eaves in front of your room.