kickstand ???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think just being aware the kickstand is a point of concern is enough to keep you safe. I'm very consious of it and just make sure its fully deployed, I also pull back on the handlebars as I step off just to assure the bike doesnt try to move forward as I'm stepping off. It all becomes second nature after a few dismounts.

Anyone ever weld a 3" X 3" square metal plate to the bottom of their kickstand so they have a built-in pad to prevent kickstand from sinking in when parking on softer surfaces?
No, but in my tankbag I carry a metal outlet box blank with a length of string attached, that I toss under there when necessary, and loop the string up where I can reach it when it's time to disembark.

That's IF I remember to put down the sidestand before I get off the bike, AND if I heal....

I'm anxiously awaiting the Skyway sidestand footplate farkle....
Yep, post #137

The sidestand isn't any worse than the sidestand on any of my other bikes. My only squawk with it is the foot is a little small for a bike of such weight. It goes right through the cheap shitty parking lot asphalt used in Florida.

I have thought about grinding the stand but I have a better way. I have very little inseam to deal with 29" so...what I do is put bike in gear and shut it off. Place stand down then always!!!!!! put my foot out and block the stand from moving back. Then move the bike as far fwd as it will go in gear....now the bike will not roll fwd and the stand can't move back. The last step is put the bike down on it's stand. I have not dumed it 2 year 11k miles. Also take a look at my stand foot. I made it at work long before the Skyway BS started>
SANY0477.jpg

Mine has worked fine so far. I've got a habit of pulling the bike backwards when I set it down on the 'stand to make sure it's fully deployed. Also, I don't park facing downhill.
What I've always heard is that the bike should be rolled forward w/ ignition off while in gear until it catches & then make sure that the kickstand is fully deployed. I'm not getting why this is difficult.

It is very possible to park pointed downhill (if needed) using this technique.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who have ground metal so the stand can go further forward: Doesn't this soften the metal in that area and keep gouging until the stand goes further forward than desired?

Mine has worked fine so far. I've got a habit of pulling the bike backwards when I set it down on the 'stand to make sure it's fully deployed. Also, I don't park facing downhill.
What I've always heard is that the bike should be rolled forward in gear until it catches & then make sure that the kickstand is fully deployed. I'm not getting why this is difficult.

It is very possible to park pointed downhill (if needed) using this technique.
I too don't see the big deal. (I'll probably drop mine now.) Leave the bike in 1st gear, if you're pointed uphill, let out the tranny slack rolling backwards. If you're pointing downhill, let out the tranny slack rolling forward... foot behind the stand when dismounting.

Alright everyone, repeat after me:

[SIZE=24pt]There is nothing wrong with the FJR kickstand![/SIZE]

PHUCK, can we just drop it? ;)

I've read the sheepish tales here of those who have dropped their fjr's because they roll off the kickstand. No, I haven't dropped mine yet (it's only been 10 weeks & 5000 miles, give me a chance). Has anyone come up with a mod ?

Sure, It's the odot Porta-Tree [SIZE=8pt]tm[/SIZE]

r_FJRTrip5tree.jpg

Sized for every bike of any kind.

:jester:

I always put it in gear but I wish I could leave mine in neutral and just park! Then I could get to the disc lock and gloves (opening the glove box is inhibited by the neutral gear's electrical circuitry). PITA !! :cray:

Then I could get to the disc lock and gloves (opening the glove box is inhibited by the neutral gear's electrical circuitry). PITA !! :cray:

:blink: Am I reading that right?

More correctly I should have said, "Any gear, with the exception of neutral, inhibits the opening of the glove box." Sorry for the confusion. I think its Yamaha's attempt to keep us safe, to not be distracted while operating our bikes! I would be interested in the "work-around" that Toe-Cutter mentions. I'll put it on my winter list of 'bike-things-to-do'. :rolleyes: