Kimpex heaters over stock grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAPS

Reaction score
Im wondering if this will work, sandwich the heater between the grip pups and the stock grips. It would be a bit easier to install and should give better heat....but will it work?

I posted this question in the 'GRIPS' topic with no luck, thought I could drum up an wise crack or two here.

I'm currently waiting for some time to install both my Kimpex heaters as well as the Grip puppies. From my understanding, the heaters require a heat sink in order to absorb some of the heat to prevent your hands from getting nuked and to bleed off some of the heat in order to prevent damaging the heaters, themselves. Having the stock grips in between them and the handlebars (the heat sink) would prevent that from happening and insulate them quite a bit. My guess is that you would end up frying your hands, and possibly the heaters. My plan, same as others have already done, is to cut off the stock grips, install the heaters onto the handlebars, and put the grip puppies on top.

That's my 2cents.

Jim.

Gaps: why don't you just try them like you want them installed and see if they work. If not re-install them the preferred way and you good to go.

Then give us a report about your grips being installed that way..

Take a chance and experment :clapping:

Dunno :unsure:

I've installed several sets over the years, but just ran into something for the first time last week while putting a set on a buddies' bike, a Concours.

His throttle side sleeve had these raised "ribs" on the throttle sleeve, and these things made it impossible for the heater element to stick around the surface. We held it in place, and managed to get the grip on, but the total lack of good contact between the heater and the sleeve seems to have resulted in an out-of-control heat situation, such that I'm now a little concerned about prolonged use.

He doesn't seem to mind, but the same set on my FJR has a nice, even heat between the sides.

These are just the under-grip style that Aerostich sells.

YRMV,

Shane

My plan, same as others have already done, is to cut off the stock grips, install the heaters onto the handlebars, and put the grip puppies on top.
No need to cut them off, they'll come off with compressed air and a really thin screw driver pretty easily.