LED Headlights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is probably the highest quality LED H4 bulb that is made. It seems to be the most expensive too. I thought I read that this bulb was DOT certified but I cant find any info on that now.
https://www.xenondepot.com/h4-philips-12953BWX2-LED-Bulb-p/12953bwx2.htm

I have these LED h4 bulbs installed and the beam pattern is pretty good. I have no complaints with these bulbs. Light output is good, beam pattern is good and installing them is a piece of pie.

https://www.amazon.com/Evitek-Headlight-Bulbs-Motorcycles-9003/dp/B017M566T4/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1477849242&sr=8-18&keywords=H4+led+bulb

If I were to order a set of LED h4 bulbs today, I would probably order a set of these bulbs. They appear to be using the same type of LED technology and shielding that the Phillips bulbs use but for less than 1/2 the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Autofeel-Headlight-8000LM-Beam-1-Warranty/dp/B01J510CKW/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1477849449&sr=8-39&keywords=H4+led+bulb
Note that the first and third linked bulbs have the LEDs arranged to simulate the position and line of filaments in the standard incandescent bulb, so are more likely to give a correct controlled light spread than most you see which have the LEDs arranged as a square.

I am trying these with 6,000 12,000 lumen 36 watts per bulb verses the 8,000 lumen 42 watts per bulb you gave the link to.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H68A10C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note I am switching from HID before they eat up my reflectors. Just starting to show signs of it above the lamps.

EDIT: just re-read the specs for these bulbs and they are rated at 6000 lumens per bulb.

From Amazon's website:

Product DescriptionSize:H4 (9003/HB2) Dual Beam LED
XtremeVision® 8G LED Headlight Conversion Kit - 2016 8th Generation

XtremeVision® 8G LED Lighting System comes with everything you need to upgrade your halogen lights or existing HID to LED Headlight. Our LED Lighting System will provide you with the brightest visibility and safety for the road ahead. The upgraded LED Headlights are more reliable and produces a glare free beam pattern. You will be able to see further and wider ahead of you. Every kit is fully Plug-and-Play, allowing for a quick and easy installation.

XtremeVision® 8G LED Headlight Features

XHP50 CREE LED Bulbs x 2 (Low Beam) / x 2 (High Beam)

6063 Aircraft Grade Aluminum: Corrosion and Pressure Resistant.

CREE XHP50 LED Chip: Spherical Design Made to Reduce Glare. Enhances Running Safety.

Air Flux and Fan Cooling System: Dual Cooling System; Keeping your Bulbs Durable and Long Lasting.

LED Bulbs Produces 6000LM x 2 / Total 12000LM

360 Degree Beam Angle. LED Chip on each side. Total of 4 LED for Dual Beam Application.

Easy Plug-and-Play Installation

3X Brighter than Halogen Bulbs

Bulb Lifespan of 30,000 Hours

100% Waterproof and Shockproof - IP65

ISO9001 Certification and European E-Mark for 100% Guaranteed Product Quality

2 Year Warranty on XtremeVision® 8G LED Conversion Kit

Specifications:

Input Power: 36W x 2 / Total 72W

LED Type: XHP50 CREE LED

Voltage: DC12V-24V

LED Color: Bright White

Lumen: 12000LM (6000LM/Bulb)

Color Temperature: 6500K

Heat Dissipation: Aluminum 6063

Operating Temperature: -40 - +80

Size: 3.5IN x 1.25IN (LxW)

XtremeVision® LED Headlight Conversion Kit includes

(2) XtremeVision® 8G Dual Beam XHP50 CREE LED Bulbs

(2) Fully Plug-and-Play LED Drivers

(1) Installation Manual
Updated my previous post to correct an error in the lumens per bulb.

Met one of the engineers from HDBRIGHT.com at the Superbike races this past summer. Fan cooled lights.

I'm thinking about trying the ADVmonster H4 Rev 3 LED Headlight.

h4r3__99139.1452030364.1280.1280.jpg

I like the fact that it uses mesh heat sinks so there is no cooling fan to fail. The price is a bit higher than some of the alternatives but it might be worth it. Has anyone here given these a try? ADVmonster has a review posted by "Earl" on 21st Oct 2016 who is very happy after installing them in his FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^

Looks like a bit different approach but I will wait until I can see one in person before I spend the money. ADVmonster lists 3 different H4 replacement LEDs and every reviewer gives each of them either 5 star or (a few) 4 star ratings. Given the discussions I have seen for LEDs on lots of different websites, I somehow suspect that they pick and choose the reviews that they decide to publish.

OP: I have those cyclops led headlights. A big improvement over the OEM. Money well spent. Had to turn down the aim of the headlights. Install is a bit tricky, I recommend pulling the fairing and do the install on a work bench. Then it's no problem. I would do it again in a heartbeat. You won't be disappointed.

Is there any legitimate concern that the Phillips LED bulb will not fit in the 2014 FJR?

The vendor's website on this product includes a number of disclaimers about fitment in smaller applications and the rep told me that they don't accept returns on "installed" products which I take to mean bulbs you tried to install but didn't fit. I am prepared to drop the $249 for these if but only if I had reasonable assurance they would fit.

It SEEMS to me that if these fit then the Phillips bulbs should fit, but I don't think I am smart enough to make that judgment.

I was told the Phillips bulb is 4" head to toe, and the link to the Evitek bulb says it is 3.52" head to toe. Maybe that is the answer I don't want to hear.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

OP: I have those cyclops led headlights. A big improvement over the OEM. Money well spent. Had to turn down the aim of the headlights. Install is a bit tricky, I recommend pulling the fairing and do the install on a work bench. Then it's no problem. I would do it again in a heartbeat. You won't be disappointed.
I put a Cyclops H4 in my last bike, and loved it. I will be getting a set for the FJR this spring.

@OP: I have the previous version of those Cyclops (3600 lm, 40W). I'm extremely happy with the improvement. Much, much better visibility than with the original bulb.

It does have the end cap and the reflector under the forward LED; which is a must. But that doesn't mean it's perfect. The beam cut-off is not great on my 2007 because it uses a fat LED (as Mcatrophy pointed out) but the reflector is made for a thin filament. I didn't know this when I got them. So oncoming traffic is probably annoyed. I guess new model should be fine. On older models a row of smaller LEDs is preferred.

Having said all that, I will never ride workout LED bulbs again. Literally night and day.

So oncoming traffic is probably annoyed.
And therin lies the problem!

We make these changes for our benefit but at some expense to others.Then, if regulators have to get involved, we complain of the "nanny state".

I am fed up with the glare from oncoming cars with , what are oviously, aftermarket "improved" lights. Great for you but no so much for me.

Working in Tokyo this week and you don't see that kind of BS here. There is a real courtesy to other drivers at work.

That said, I did find some Phillips H4s that might just do the trick and certainly not wildly expensive at $150 USD/pair.

I'll put my soapbox away now...
smile.png

I agree Nana. When a good LED option is confirmed, I'll get them.

In my case, I ride mostly in rural areas with little traffic.

I finally broke down 'n bought me sum LED lights. Got these for the headlights https://www.ebay.com/itm/261993165292?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I don't ride at night much, so I wasn't as concerned 'bout the pattern, butt I've noticed it's much easier to see people w/ LEDs in the day. It's dark when I go to work in the morn'in, and the pattern seems fine. It's much wider, and not as focused. (Which seems good to me.)

Whist I was at it, I got these https://www.ebay.com/itm/161674918497?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

for the tail lights. When I installed 'em, the brake light didn't work, so I removed one and put the stock bulb back in, and now they work. Much brighter than stock.

I had just about given up on the LED headlight option... However, I went by O'Reillys today to buy some regular halogen H4 bulbs. I wanted to get the brightest ones I could find. I grabbed the Sylvania SilverStar Ultra bulbs, they even come in a pack of 2. I gasped a little when I saw the price $49.99, but I figured for the bright ones I would pay more than the standard bulbs (which were $10.99 each). I turned over the pack to read some details and noticed they were rated for only 145hrs of use. That's what took my breath away. That's what, a couple months, less if you are riding on a big trip. For that kind of money and longevity I decided to give the LED's a fair chance so I ordered these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/261993165292 Same ones BanjoBoy ordered. I'm not sure how long they will last but I payed less for them than the SilverStar Ultras and I am sure at the very least they will last more than 145hrs (but we will see). If I like the color and the pattern and they work well I will invest in the more expensive Phillips LED's when they go T.U...

I'd prefer HID or LED, but my headlights do just fine. I'm still amazed that I have 45K+ miles on the original factory bulbs. My last bike ate headlight and taillight bulbs pretty much monthly.

I'm not sure how long they will last but I payed less for them than the SilverStar Ultras and I am sure at the very least they will last more than 145hrs (but we will see). If I like the color and the pattern and they work well I will invest in the more expensive Phillips LED's when they go T.U...
Unless the cooling fan gives up, the LEDs are likely to last longer than your bike! Lots of anecdotal information out there on beam quality but I have yet to see a really good comparison of various LED brands (there are so many) along with incandescent bulbs. Unfortunately, stuff related to beam quality is going to be a function of reflector geometry and every vehicle will differ.

I also gave up on "Premium" conventional bulbs because of longevity (or lack thereof). I am surprised that these LEDs are rated at 40W - still lower than the 55W standard H4 but not as much power saving as I thought. Not much wonder that they need a big heatsink and cooling fan.

It looks like each of the CREE MK-R LEDs are 12W (1A at 12V nominal), and two LEDs are illuminated at a time, so the LEDs are using 24W. The rest must be going to run the fan?

The other point of interest is that the specified "viewing angle" is 120 degrees. Based on the spatial flux distribution curve it looks like that is where the light intensity drops to half. Since the LEDs are arranged facing horizontally (diametrically opposite directions on the high beam elements) that means that there will be a lack of beam intensity at both the top and bottom of the high beam when used in an H4 reflector. It looks like they tilt the LEDs upwards on the low beam LEDs to better fill the bottom of the low beam pattern, which is good since you don't want any light in the upper beam anyway.

Based on that, I would expect the low beam pattern to be OK, but the high beam pattern will be worse than with the omni-directional halogen or HID light sources, in an FJR headlight. Maybe you could rewire your headlights to use all 4 LEDs (both high and low pairs) in each bulb, but that may generate too much heat for the fan to get rid of.

Of course you could always just use LED aux lights to fill the void and supplement the high beam operation like many of us do with halogens.

For only $42 a pair, it's worth a shot.

I had just about given up on the LED headlight option... However, I went by O'Reillys today to buy some regular halogen H4 bulbs. I wanted to get the brightest ones I could find. I grabbed the Sylvania SilverStar Ultra bulbs, they even come in a pack of 2. I gasped a little when I saw the price $49.99, but I figured for the bright ones I would pay more than the standard bulbs (which were $10.99 each). I turned over the pack to read some details and noticed they were rated for only 145hrs of use. That's what took my breath away. That's what, a couple months, less if you are riding on a big trip. For that kind of money and longevity I decided to give the LED's a fair chance so I ordered these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/261993165292 Same ones BanjoBoy ordered. I'm not sure how long they will last but I payed less for them than the SilverStar Ultras and I am sure at the very least they will last more than 145hrs (but we will see). If I like the color and the pattern and they work well I will invest in the more expensive Phillips LED's when they go T.U...
Yeah, that's what I used to do; go to Kragen O'Rielly's (whatever?) and get the "brighter" Sylvania's, but was replace'in 'em 'bout every 20K miles. (Annually.)

Haven't even tried the high beam yet, but 90% of my riding is during daylight hrs, so I'm not too worried 'bout beam pattern. I'm way more visible to the inattentive cages now.

For only $42 a pair, it's worth a shot.
Exactly what I think. I don't really like the look of aux driving lights on the FJR (but that's strictly a personal thing). I don't do a whole lot of riding at night either, I don't mind it I just choose not to if I can help it. But when I do have to drive at night I want some good lights that last a long time. I will give my opinion (whatever that's worth) when they come in and get them installed.