Lexington To Townsend

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might be joining the you guys.

If all works out and I have all my shit together I'll be taking off around 3 am from work and Slab it to Lexington. With any luck I'll be there for breakfast.

And if i don't make it in time well then i'll still be taking side roads to avoid the construction on 75 north of Knoxville :D I'll just try to play catchup

When I was down there on 75 about 3 weeks ago, and the worst of the construction all seemed to be on the northbound lanes, not the south. I could be wrong, or it may have changed since then. Doesn't matter, we're not going to be on there anyway! At least not going down. Sunday night at 11pm, it took us 1 hour to go 5 miles near London. That REALLY sucked.

LGizmo, where you slabbing down from? We'll try and save a seat for you!

Hey, DIESEL!! How is 227 down from Owneton? That Georgetown Road looks to be VERY much fun. In fact, if I can talk Pending into coming down that way, maybe you could meet us in Owneton for the ride back down!!

I like the prospects of getting to Lexington at a reasonable time and stay on the West side of 75 until Friday AM.

You all can email me at docthrock at docthrock dot commmmm if you want to share some routing ideas.

I'm west of Toledo. So i'll be jumpin on 75 in Toledo probablly I live a few minutes from the turnpike.

Hey, DIESEL!! How is 227 down from Owneton? That Georgetown Road looks to be VERY much fun. In fact, if I can talk Pending into coming down that way, maybe you could meet us in Owneton for the ride back down!!
I like the prospects of getting to Lexington at a reasonable time and stay on the West side of 75 until Friday AM.

You all can email me at docthrock at docthrock dot commmmm if you want to share some routing ideas.
227 is a great road as is 22 to Falmoth. I have riden it many times.

Thanks DrJ. Have any other suggestions for excursions around Lexington and Cincinatti?

You making your way to EOM?

BTW, I know it's Owenton... My fingers are dyslexic. :blink:

Georgetown road (S.R.25) is not as good as it looks. Very, very nasty bad pavement in areas between Dry Ridge and Sadieville. I'd avoid it If I were you.

227 is something special....something like 181 turns in like 10 miles, Just resurfaced a few months ago too.

I mentioned earlier to take 227 to 460 to I-75.....scratch that.

Just continue on 460 through Georgetown and then take 922 south into Lexington.

You'll go through a little bit of horse counrty and past my parents farm.

Somethings to beware of: Contruction at the 22-227 junction... dirt and gravel everywhere. Also Katrina just dumped 4" of rain here, so I'm sure there are many gravel driveways washed out onto 227. Take it easy.

Georgetown road (S.R.25) is not as good as it looks. Very, very nasty bad pavement in areas between Dry Ridge and Sadieville. I'd avoid it If I were you.
227 is something special....something like 181 turns in like 10 miles, Just resurfaced a few months ago too.

I mentioned earlier to take 227 to 460 to I-75.....scratch that.

Just continue on 460 through Georgetown and then take 922 south into Lexington.

You'll go through a little bit of horse counrty and past my parents farm.

Somethings to beware of: Contruction at the 22-227 junction... dirt and gravel everywhere. Also Katrina just dumped 4" of rain here, so I'm sure there are many gravel driveways washed out onto 227. Take it easy.
Thanks, D!

Do you (or anyone else) have any idea how 25 is south of Lexington? It looks as though we should avoid it on the north side of Lex, but I think QuickSilver was planning on using it a lot on the south side on the way down to Knoxville.

When I was talking about Georgetown Road, that's what Google Maps calls 227. I think I'd like to avoid that parallel route north of LEX along I75 altogether.

Appreciate the heads up on the gravel wash out, too. Thanks again. Maybe it'll get cleared out in the next two weeks. Looks like the Wabash and Ohio Valleys are going to have beautiful weather through the Labor Day weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so I plan on leaving Louisville in time to meet up with everyone in lexington at exit 110 bob evans. What time has everyone decided to meet on Friday morning? Thx MIke

oops never mind 8 am I see it now!

OK, I think I got it worked out to join you all for the ride from Lex to Townsend. I will be staying Thursday night at Red Roof on Haggard CT. (exit 113, I think) and then join you for breakfast and ride to Townsend.

I plan on staying for the dinner on Sunday night, then heading home Monday. Of course, I do not have a place to stay, yet.

Is there room on this ride for another?

I will be there pretty early on Thursday...anyone up for dinner and or a ride?

Welcome aboard guys. Looks like we will have a nice group.

I've been out town on business.

I'll review new suggestions this week.

Sorry, we won't be into Lexington until very late Thursday.

Paladin,
Wondering if you are also going 2-up, as your avatar might imply.
No, single this time. My wife is a great pillion, but she is a better teacher. She cannot take the time off to join me. Also, we usually ride the LT when we ride two up. I should be pulling into Lex pretty early on Thursday, so if anyone wants to get together, just call me on my cell...262-853-2000.

Paladin, Pending and I may be at the RRI fairly early (whatever that means) on Thursday. Depends on the weather and how tired my butt gets. Should be there before dark, anyway. We'll look for the feejer on the lot.

Quick, I think I'm going to meet up for Bfast Friday AM, ride with the group a bit, then break off and head way out into the boonies. I'm probably going to try to make it an all day ride to get to Townsend. Probably ride until close to dark. Just depends on conditions.

Just a quick note about Knoxville: Riding downtown is pretty cool, but when I was there two weeks ago, one bridge was closed across the river, and that made traffic downtown a nightmare. Heads up for major traffic if you are out sight seeing in the big city. If you go I-75 to I-40 to 129 there should be no problem at all bypassing the mess.

You guys got room for one more?? I plan to set out from the Detroit area on Thursday AM. My route would bring me right through Lexington. I would spend overnight in Lexington then head down with the group on Friday AM. I stayed at the Best Western, just west of I-75 and north of Route 60, in Lexington, last year and plan to be there this year. Let me know if your current plans are still on track. Thanks!!

Al, bring it on! I think Quick's plan to meet at the Bob Evans there on the NNE side at 8AM local is still on. That's my plan, anyway. Looks like there might be 5 or 6 of us. Maybe more?

Mission Control,

We have a go.

My mobile number = 765-602-1156

It might come in handy if someone is running late.

Or, if we just get seperated, since it is jacked into my helmet. ;)

Roger Control, we are GO FLIGHT. All indicators are in the green. T- minus 48 and counting.

I gauruntee you I will get lost. Well, misplaced.

Just hoping that line of storms to the west blows through overnight, and it clears up. Maybe that will push Ophelia to the east, too. Have rain gear, will travel!