Life After Retirement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Rich

Arrested Development
Reaction score
It has been almost three years since I left my position at the college. After thirty five years in education it was time to step aside and let someone younger make the mistakes I made when I was convinced I knew it all.

Retirement has been good for me. I have gone back and focused on things that I didn't have time for when I was carrying a blackberry, a radio and an emergency pager.

I would like to share some of my thoughts with the folks who are approaching this milestone in life......

Retire when it feels right and not when all your ducks are in a row.

You will not need as much money to live on.

Your family will take on a much more significant role in your life.

If you are lucky enough to still be married to that same special person, that relationship will blossom. (As long as you stay out of the house)

You will find that your days are filled with fun things to do. Do some reading, ride a bicycle, go for a walk, learn to blow glass, take up chainsaw carving.... You will also find that riding your FJR is more enjoyable since you are not trying to cram in a ride on the weekend... You can ride any day the weather permits and when you really want to feel the air in your face.

The roads and stores are not very crowded on a Monday morning when everyone else has gone to work.

If your doctor gives you the choice of a treadmill stress test at the hospital or a colonoscopy, take the colonoscopy. (you can sleep through it)

A great day is getting up, making coffee, reading the paper and then retiring to your office to watch the birds at the feeders outside.

You will find that you're a little more tolerant, take a little more time to notice things, become a little more introspective and you will forget stuff more easily.

Your body will hurt more. (maybe it did before but you just didn't have time for it)

You now have time to take an afternoon nap if you want.

There is something magical about the kids or neighbors coming down to your barn so you can help them fix something or to make a project.

You will probably watch less television and spend more time in other pursuits.

My buddy in Canada tells me that in retirement you have to do one thing each day, and if you don't get it done you can do it the next day.

I know that there are quite a few guys on this forum who have retired. I would be interested in hearing what your thoughts are about leaving the workforce. I have had several opportunities to go back and consult or work interim positions and I can honestly say it does not appeal to me. Thoughts????

Great post, Rich! I think you nailed a lot of it. I've been retired five years (I think. Who cares?) and noticed a lot of the same truths. Seldom, even still, does more than a day go by that I don't say to myself "oooh, cool. I don't have to (pick one or more) go to work tomorrow/get up early/finish this now, or some other similar happy thought. My son is still in high school and I'm usually here when he gets home. Makes me feel better about dumping him in day care every day when we were both working. A little.

I liked your first point. I had a certain time in mind when I'd be retiring, based on all that practical shit. How many years on the job put you onto the next plateau for pension, what's the optimum time to maximize Social Security, how much money in the bank? Ended up cutting it off at least two years before that target date, and I've never been anything but oh so glad I did. Best career move I ever made! :yahoo:

I can only dream about being retired one day. Funny, of all the things I have going in my life (great wife and kids, health, friends, job, and yes, stuff), time is the one thing I crave. I have very little time to enjoy the "things" and certainly not as much time as I like to enjoy doing stuff with the kids on a regular basis.

One day,hopefully sooner....

Last edited by a moderator:
Rich, you didn't mention only having to put up with Old Micheal a couple of times a year ...

Never have figured out how I can be so busy that I don't get everything done and not be working.

I've come to realize there is time and there is money. I've yet to find a "Time" store to spend my money at. I'm heading towards taking your advice doc. Certainly sooner than I would have thought ten years ago, but as you say, it's just feeling right.

Your words give me hope. I'm on a five year plan, might take 7 or 8 to accomplish it. Might pull if off in 3, time will tell. I so look forward to the things you speak of. Today, I was reflecting on the many interests that I can't find the time to do. Soon, very soon. Thanks

Retirement has its downsides, I used to really enjoy planning vacations to get away from work..........retirement took all of that away. :p I'm sure there are other downsides, I just can't think of any at the moment.

Hi Rich,

thanks for the heads up. I am trying to hang in there for that great time in my life.

Best regards

Surly

:ph34r:

I really liked my job when I was on the tools and used to look forward to going to work and then I made the mistake of taking a semi-management position where I spent msot of my time doing step-up supervision. I did that for another two years but then had another year on a project where I was what we call an 'individual contributor' and was basically left alone. I loved that job but when the job was finished they wanted me to go back to supervision and rather than do that I retired. After two months I was contracted to go to a different facility to do some work planning for a nuclear restart project and while the money was very good there were parts of the job that were very frustrating plus the fact that my knee finally completely gave out and I had to schedule a total knee replacement.

After the knee replacement I can't work on reactors anymore since I can't get past the metal detectors at the security entrance so my days now consist of going over to the local Tim Hortons on my bicycle when weather permits, shooting snooker at the Senior Center, skiing in the winter and riding either my dirt bike or the FJR when the mood strikes me and shoot some lame ass videos to show FredW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzgtsXhWiyw&hd=1

Dr. Rich, I actually and truly miss working for Metro Mechanical in Phoenix every damn day. I left two years ago due to this bad economy forcing me to lay off great Pipefitters who had worked for me for twenty years, I was "El Jefe" of the Pipefitting Divisionl

If our Arizona Economy returns to big growth status like it once was, I intend to go back to MMI pushing their Pipefitting work on a half-time basis. I was very lucky working for a family owned business, it really was like working with my Brothers and Sisters!!

In order to enjoy something I think you have to earn it? How would you know if you're happy if you have never been sad, and visa versa. Good health is the key to anything we do in life. When I was younger good health never entered my mind and I was lucky, in spite of poor lifestyle choices I have managed to emerge fairly unscathed! I'm 62 in a month and just started looking at things like weight and diet for the rest of my life which I hope will continue to be healthful! Since retirement 6 years ago (I'm one of the lucky ones) I have ridden over 250,000 kms around North America and have a lot more places to ride to. Thanks to all who participate on this forum for information and laughs. Mark

I have to fully agree with Mark - jmgrif on the necessity of healthy lifestyles, you must have a balanced diet! That is a Negra Modelo dark on the right and a Herradura Tequila Margarita on the left, perfectly balanced nutritionally!

100_0598.jpg

Muchas gracias to 4 orders of Armando's Combinaccion Numero Cinco applied on a regular daily basis, I'm able to keep my physique in such awesome and bodacious condition. Riding 50K+ kilometers in Mexico each year also helps!

MexicoApril2010008.jpg

Dr. Rich,

Yeah yeah yeah. Oh goody for you.

You realize of course that since you retired, niether you nor I have been back to the Wildflower Bakery!

But,,,,If you did secretly sneak back there, please don't tell me.

Also, as you're aware, since you've retired, most of the weight of entertaining OM has fallen on my sagging shoulders.

Glad you're having such a good time at my expense. :angry:

Love,

Mark