Looking for help in Southaven, Memphis area

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There should be a couple (at least) of FJRs in the Vicksburg area this upcoming Sunday evening... One of them will be jetting North up I-55 Monday morning but he will not have time to visit.

If you could coordinate your Sunday to ride down and meet those guys, at least one of them should be able to listen to your bike in person.

I'm betting your idle speed it too low. It sounds like a small engine stall. Mine will do that at idle if I let it get too slow. Bump it up to 1100rpm. I bet that will cure it. I'll be glad to listen to it. I live in Southaven also.

Well after going back and listening to it again my low rpm idea might not be it. Not sure what it is...

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, the sound is most likely a slight misfire and not that uncommon. There have been a number of people posting about a similar noise, they just don't align in describing the noise. It goes "clang, clang" or "ding, ding" or "clack, clack" , all descriptions of the same sound but each person with their own way of hearing and relating. The glitch can be low idle speed, resistor cap on a plug, a plug, the plug wire, a fuel injector, etc. There are lots of things that can cause an odd noise.

Does it start normally? Does it run well? Is the gas mileage way down? Do you notice it when riding? Does the engine turn off when you shut it off? Are there *any* physical symptoms beyond the noise? It may be time to employ selective deafness and just ride. Over time maintenance and perhaps a bit of injector cleaner will probably eliminate the sound and you most likely won't notice it's gone like you notices it's here.

But, if your CCT doesn't have a dot, change the sucker. You may start to hear a little rattling, then later a subtle, quiet little pop/bang noise and the engine won't start or run. A quick check will show 0 psi in all cylinders and you will have great regret that he CCT wasn't changed. BTDT.

I took the bike to another Yamaha dealer this morning.

The owner took about 15 minutes to check out the sound.

(I really appreciate that.)

He said it does not sound like the cam chain.

He also said it does not sound like the engine.

He thinks its the hydraulic clutch.

Due to cost to repair he suggests I keep riding.

He also added that, if it gets worse bring it back and he will look at it again.

Hydraulic clutch noise???

That's a new one to me. Even if it isn't the CCT (I can't really hear it on your video), I would change it out anyway if it isn't the updated version. There is a common idle sound that sounds more like a hesitation rather than a misfire. I think all FJR's do this. It is less noticeable if you raise the idle to 1050 or higher.

Best bet is to do a side-by-side comparison with somebody else's FJR.

I will check the idle, set it above 1050 if needed.

I will make check the CTT, replace to the updated one if needed.

The bike starts every time. It runs great. I don't know what the gas mileage is, yet.

I don't notice it when riding. I do notice it when at a stop or light, if stopped for a while.

I am not aware of any other symptoms.

What octane gas should I be using?

Thanks for all the great input. This is a great site.

I took the bike for a 200 mile ride yesterday. Highways and back road.

The bike is fantastic.

I recently sold a 2012 Connie, because I did not like how the bike handled.

I love how this bike handles. Cornering is so much easier than the Connie.

The noise is still there when the bike is idling.

However, when the bike is rolling I cannot hear anything.

It cruses at 75-80 miles a hour in 5 gear around 4000 rpm.

There is no indication of anything wrong with the engine.

But I did notice that when I was stopped at a light or a stop sign, and the bike was in gear but the clutch lever was pulled in, there was no strange noise.

I paid careful attention to this on the ride.

When I got home I let the bike run for about 5 minutes, the bike was in gear (I tried both 1 and 2) with the clutch level in. NO NOISE.

I will continue to check this out.

But it does seem like the issue is clutch related.

I have owned about 6 bikes in the last 5 years. (It took me a while to discover and refine my taste.)

2010 Honda Shadow

1997 St1100

2003 St1300

2012 Concourse

2004 Goldwing

I still have the Gold wing for 2 up.

I was looking for 1 up, and the FJR is by far my favorite.

The clutch is a bit noisy 1-2, 2-3, and 2-1.

Nosier than the other bikes.

PROBLEM SOLVED

I have a power commander V.

The bike has been on a dyno, it runs greats, but the noise occurred when the bike idles at 1100 rpm.

I gradually increased the fuel mappings for idle, at 500, 1000, and 1500 rpm.

This has resolved the issue.

I tested this for the last couple of days, and it solved the issue.

This morning I checked it again

When cold it runs about 1500 rpm for a couple of minutes, when warn it idles at 1100.

Typically the noise would start when it idled at 1100.

I let the bike run on idle for 15 minutes, there was not one strange noise.

SWEET

Apparently the issue was a hesitation type problem.

Thanks for all the great help and input.

Most likely it was lean misfire. The Barbarian CO adjustment and the Power Commander both were used to make the fuel injection slightly richer. Sometimes the lean mixture caused a misfire and sometimes lean surging. Someone was alluding to misfire back in post #22.

Now that it appears that the noise is gone (at least for now) it would be interesting to load a zero map in the Power Commander and see if the noise comes back. It would be proof that the Power Commander FI map was indeed the cure.

Latest posts