Looking for other '05 owners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I was in there I removed the right side spark plug and it looked OK. The air filter was also clean. I guess the next step would be TBS. I'm not afraid to do it myself but don't have the sync tool so I may bring it in to the dealer if the price is reasonable- fat chance I know.
I have a Morgan Carb tune tool. PM or call me, it's simple.

I'm 6ft 155lbs.
Dang! U b thin! You'll never make the Los Robustos MC club on this forum. Now I know I'm fat! :dribble: :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
The nice thing is once you have this sorted out, you won't be able to stop reving it up in the driveway. It is the sound to where this firebreathing dragon will take you. So hang in there.

Personally, I don't think a TBS makes all that much difference. Others more stupid than I will of course disagree. :)

Find out if your TPS was in the replacement VIN range and if it was make sure it was replaced!

You have a GEN I FJR. The throttle thing is a bit of a problem. How long did the bike sit? Was the gas in it any good? If you can not answer these questions I would start with the Yamaha fuel stuff they sell. 4 bottles through 4 tanks of gas then change the oil and see if that stuff cleans out the fuel injection system . The throttle body sync will help do it at idle and check it at 4k on tach. As for spark plugs replace them and also do the sync your self by buying one of the above mentions tools. The TPS if it has not been done is a must. Get it to your deal and have them do it as it is a mess to do without some real innovative tools. The bolts are security type and should be changed out. Also when you do it you have to get the bike into diagnostic mode to set it. That should all be done by the dealer unless you are good with your hands and beside it will be free. I would make the following changes to the bike in the following order. New seat, Day long saddle, New rear shock I used Hyperpro, New Front springs with gold valves race tech, GPS your choice I use ZUMO 550, Communication system, also your choose I have J&M, AUX lights ask Patriot. Just make sure they are LED to cut down on power draw. Make sure you wire a extra fuse block under the seat for all the farkles.

My 2010 quit pulling the front wheel off the ground while accelerating hard in first at around 5,000 miles. I assumed it was the suspension breaking in or the rear tire not gripping as well.

I changed the plugs, even though they did not need it. I did another throttle body sync. I replace the air filter, as it looked pretty nasty and had some of the screen peeling.

Now the bike pulls like a train and the front end starts to loft itself under hard acceleration in first and the front end feels real light in second. Get the timing wrong while shifting and the front end will come up in third as well.

The plugs made all the difference. There is a reason the manual says change them at 8,000 miles.

OK guys. Really need some help here.

So I went to the local parts store to pick up some spark plugs for the FJR this morning and the bike felt like it had no power especially pulling from the stop lights. 15mins later it even started pinging and vibrating on take off with me having to slip the clutch.

I got home and I had FJRBluesman (thanks so much for making the time!!) waiting for me at home to help me do the TBS. I mentioned the issue to him and he immediately pointed to the blued exhaust pipes indicating the bike was running hot too. However, the temp guage registered normal. Here's what we did next:

1. We looked at the battery and the positive terminal/cable at the battery was fairly loose. So we tighted it down.

2. We then ran through all the diagnostics and everything checked out ok including the TPS.

3. We then replaced the plugs- cyl 2 and 3 looked very rich and 1 lean and 4 ok, maybe a bit lean on cyl 1. We then started the bike- immediately the bike sounded better and accelerated 100% better except the engine felt like it had an internal vibration. FJRbluesman's bike feels very 'light' as you zing the RPM in comparison.

4. We then did the TBS, which was pretty good as is but we got it pretty much even. The mercury level was a bit bouncy except cyl 4 (best spark plug too).

5. At this point FJRblueman also noticed that the oil level was pretty high. I changed the oil which felt pretty watery but didn't smell of gas too badly as far as I could tell.

So now the bike is running much better but I'm afraid to ride it other than up and down the street. The engine seems to have the power but the engine still feels like it's got internal vibration and gives it that heavy feeling not light smooth feeling when accelerating. I'm scratching my head as to what happned this morning? could it be the loose battery terminal? or was the spark plugs? is the fuel filter plugged? are the injectors gunked up? are the coils bad? It's a 2005 with only 10k miles on it.

plugs.jpg

pipe.jpg

Plugs don't look so good. I agree with running injector cleaner or Ring Free and ride it like you stole it. I doubt that bike as ever seen 8K RPMs. Find a safe place to do some WOT runs and bounce it off 9K a couple times. Don't do high rpm engine braking until it's running smooth.

Funny you guys mentioned the injector cleaner; I went for a 20mile ride and just put 12oz Chevron injector cleaner in the tank that also has fresh 89 octane gas in it from this morning. Is this Ring Free Plus cleaner even better? I'll try that on the next tank full.

Not to jinx anything but the stumbling/surging issue I was talking about is not very noticeable now. However, it still vibrates and is fairly "buzzy" above 3k rpm. I started to feel the buzzing in my hands after a while. It's the same vibration thing that I mentioned- which happens even when the bike is staionary and you rev the motor.

Oh and any thoughts on what may have caused the blued exhaust pipes? or what's going on with the plugs and what may have caused the no-power/pinging issue I had this morning? I keep thinking it had to do with the battery?

stioc - Great meeting you! Another great person here on the forum.

My buddy came by when I got home, another biker dude and excellent wrench. We discussed your issues, here's what we thought....

1) Injector issue, clogged or not getting correct signal for some reason. That connector corrosion perhaps.

2) Coil but doubtful. Any error here we'd think would leave an error code.

3) The O2 sensor is bad, possibly sending incorrect information to the ECU and thus giving incorrect injector signal.

In general, something to do with the fuel deliver or management thereof.

I'm wanting to hear from ionbeam and or FredW for more information, they really get into the fuel management area pretty good.

Oh yes and let's throw this into the equation:

The bike is a beautiful 2005 w/ABS, best looking 6 year old FeeJ I've seen, with only 9K miles.

That being said stioc is the 3rd owner. The orginal owner lived in New Jersey. Not sure how long it was there, how it was maintained, or stored for the winter(s). The 2nd owner bought it with about 2K on it (IIRMC), now stioc just bought it. So me thinks too little riding, east coast issues, etc, has taken a toll on this awesome machine.

The blue pipes baffle me, that looks real bloody hot. Although it’s stainless steel, not chrome, and the look pretty bad. stioc says they didn't look like that a few days ago, sooo...?? :unsure:

Please help out with any info for stoic.

I hate to see someone get such a great ride in such great condition and it has some quirky issue(s) like this. Let’s get stoic loving this machine like we do! :yahoo:

**EDIT**

If you can't, ask an admin to change your title for this so others can see you have an issue you want resolved, you may get better feedback. ;)

Good luck, call me if you need anything.

If the injectors are misbehaving then they could easily cause all of the problems. A partially clogged injector on one cylinder causing it to run lean and a sticky injector that stays open a little too long could cause a rich condition. If I remember correctly, the O2 sensor only reads from one side (I don't have the stock header installed so I can't say for sure.) If the sensor is reading a lean condition it could signal the ecu to add unnecessary fuel to the other cylinders, or vice versa.

Chevron Techron is a very good injector cleaner and should help if the injectors are the problem.

I'm sure other who are more knowledgeable will chime in but if it was me I'd take a similar approach to what Tominca suggested and go for a nice sporty ride, use up what's in the tank and see if a fresh tank of fuel makes a difference.

Do not assume that all the plugs were replaced at the same time ( 2 owners ) .

Bad/loose connection on the battery can cause funny voltage to the system ,so it's good you fixed that . O2 sensor may have been damaged but unlikely .

Exhaust discolored like that is weid ????.

Try riding the bike for about 4 hours as this will run the injector cleaner threw the system . A good long run normally get's things settled in a low milage bike.You may need to run 1/2 a tankfull of 91 octain and some more injector cleaner. Low milage bikes can accumulate a lot of water in the tank over the years so may be the old remimdy of 1 cup of metholated spirits added to the tank before a ride of about 200 miles would help absorb the water and burn it off .

I would try checking then losening and re-torquing the engine mounts if the vibration does not stop when the engine is running correctly .

re: pain in the middle of the back;

When riding 2 up I sometimes get this with the stock windshield down. If I raise the windshield, the pain goes away. I have bar risers/setbacks and a Russell Day Long. I might try removing the riser/setback setup this spring as I put them on before I got the Russell. I think I'm sitting too upright with them on, and I'm pulling myself forward to compensate. I'm 5'8-ish and weigh 110 lbs. :lol: Actually, I'm 175 lbs. :glare:

I agree with the others that the injectors are probably a little sticky, probably from lack of use given the age of the bike vs the mileage. Techron is good stuff for cleaning them and it might not hurt to run a tank with a fuel pump/injector lubricant additive through. This is not a testimonial but lucas makes one that you can pick up at any auto parts store, its only claim is a lubricant, and it's cheap.