Looking for other '05 owners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the side case missing, broken or rashed?

We have a magician on this Forum that can take a damaged case cover and make it look new -- pm GARAULD.

We have clever fellows that can revive the broken.

Missing, well, it may be time to take a look at the For Sale section of the Forum and see if any are available. You can buy any '01 to '05 side case and have garauld color match it for real reasonable cost.

The plugs don't look good, and the worst bit is that they all look different.

The exhaust blueing is caused by heat, and that can only happen if the ignition is too far advanced (not adjustable), or the mixture is too lean. That causes hotter than normal exhaust gases and the pinking which, in this case, is probably pre-ignition caused by the plugs getting too hot.

Plug #2 also looks wet, which might indicate a mis-fire, which would explain the poor response and the vibration.

Plugs 1 and 4 look a little lean, but I've seen much worse and the bikes are set up lean from the factory, and #3 is rich ... and it might be a bit oily it's hard to tell from the picture.

If you have time you could remove the injectors and have them properly tested. You could get that done locally if you live near a decent sized city, but they likely need cleaning if they have been left with stale gas in the rail for any length of time.

I would proceed as follows.

Remove the injectors, have them tested and, if necessary, professionally cleaned. Refit.

Replace spark plugs with standard plugs ... plenty of time to fit fancy ones later.

Then go for a fast run. Find yourself a couple of miles of empty interstate or other major highway, free of cars with silly blue and red lights, then give the bike some real stick. Get it running hard in third or 4th, hold wide open throttle until you are scared silly then hit the kill switch.

Coast to a stop and check the color of the plugs (take tools) A plug chop is hard to do on these bikes as they are so damned fast, but it shouldn't be impossible. Checking the plugs when you have been coasting around your neighborhood for five minutes doesn't help much.

The alternative to risking jail is a dyno session. Find one with a good tech and he will set the bike up correctly without the associated ticket. (Ticket is usually cheaper).

It may be that when the injectors are cleaned, all the problems go away anyway.

Others may have better solutions.

The plugs don't look good, and the worst bit is that they all look different....Others may have better solutions.
Do note that this zombie is 3 years old. Icedbreaks revivified it with his question about side bags.

Last edited by a moderator:
oic ... I'll be quiet now, and learn to look at timestamps :D

/retreats to corner.

...look at timestamps
biggrin.png
After replying to several fossilized threads I finally learned to look at the date stamp on unfamiliar titles. I still expect to feed a zombie or two :)

It would be nice if folk would update threads when they finally find the problem and fix it. That would make it much more useful to others later.

Very helpful, Ionbeam! My case latches are all F'd up. Only 1 of the 4 are still riveted on. All the others have snapped off. Any alternate latch ideas? I have a few ideas, but the curvy shape of the case is really a problem.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ionbeam" data-cid="1175273" data-time="1410028669"><p>

Is the side case missing, broken or rashed? <br />

<br />

We have a magician on this Forum that can take a damaged case cover and make it look new -- pm GARAULD. <br />

<br />

We have clever fellows that can revive the broken. <br />

<br />

Missing, well, it may be time to take a look at the For Sale section of the Forum and see if any are available. You can buy any '01 to '05 side case and have garauld color match it for real reasonable cost.</p></blockquote>