looking to buy a used FJR - First FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

justride

Hello everyone!

I am looking to buy a used FJR. I currently ride a Triumph Thruxton and recently married a woman who loves to ride with me. I love my bike but it's not very good for long rides with a passenger which brought me to the idea of a FJR. A local dealer gave me a used 09 for three days and told me to have fun. My wife and I had a lot of fun and just a great time riding that bike. It was after returning it that we decided we are getting us a FJR, for sure.

Now the hardest part is deciding what is going to be the best deal for us. I buy used, period, because I hate paying retail and adding in all dealer charges and loosing the initial depreciation on it. The question now is which Gen is the way to go? Does it really even matter?

I'm currently looking at two bikes: 08, 20k miles at a dealer or a 05, 16k miles from an individual. Both look really clean and well taken care of. The 08 is $8500 and I'll have to finance $3900 after trading a v-star and the 05 owner is willing to trade for my v-star plus $1000. That would equal about $6000 total for the bike, I have $5000 in the v-star that I bought to sell (hate riding it and thus I never do).

Any help and advise will be greatly appreciated. Look forward to all of your insight.

Jody

I gotta say, if you can get $5K for that Vstar get either bike and ride it like you stole it. Both would be great bikes, but I would be influenced if the 05 is non-ABS. The Gen II bike has slightly more room and more adjustable seating. If you plan to do long trips, you will [put a custom seat on either bike. IMO, you are getting the better deal on the 05 assuming it is ABS, and it sounds like you will own it outright without a loan. That sounds pretty good to me.

I gotta say, if you can get $5K for that Vstar get either bike and ride it like you stole it. Both would be great bikes, but I would be influenced if the 05 is non-ABS. The Gen II bike has slightly more room and more adjustable seating. If you plan to do long trips, you will [put a custom seat on either bike. IMO, you are getting the better deal on the 05 assuming it is ABS, and it sounds like you will own it outright without a loan. That sounds pretty good to me.

The 05 is ABS and comes with original seat and a Corbin seat with the back rest

Money talks in this case. You'll love the 05, and will be able to justify some accessories to personalize it, and a few motel rooms to make a special trip. I have been on both Gen I and Gen II, and can't think of any compelling reason to change from my 05 ABS other than I ride a lot of miles and seem to be changing tires a lot. I hope you enjoy yours (whatever you choose) as much as I have mine.

More than anything else, it's the miles that determine the "age" of an FJR. The 05 will warm up your legs a little more in the summer (I noticed that you live in Texas), but during the winter months, the little bit of extra heat is wonderful. I run Baker hand wings and lower air wings on mine, and they pretty much cures the Gen 1 heat issue for me, and gives me a little extra warmth in the winter as well. Running them in the closed position deflects cold air AWAY in the winter. The 05's are great machines. I'd buy another in a second. They DON'T have linked brakes as the Gen 2's do, if that matters. They are slightly lighter and slightly faster. The alternator has 100 less watts if I'm not mistaken... thought that is not much, it may become an issue if you run a bunch of heated gear in the winter.

Needless to say, I'd go with the 05 in a heartbeat. The difference is a LOT of money, and for me, it just wouldn't be worth it to buy the newer bike.

Good luck with your decision.

Gary

darksider #44

Make sure and let us know what you decide to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
On Gen 1 it is harder to remove the valve cover for checking the valves. Gen 1 put a bit more heat on your legs - there are ways to fix it. Gen 1 gearing is slightly different so in 5th gear the rpms are a bit higher at the same speed as a Gen 2.

Early model Gen 2's have fuel injection issues, abrupt throttle response and stiff throttle - makes your hand tired. These can be fixed or you can get an 09 or newer to avoid these problems.

Gen 2 have more electrical gremlins than Gen 1.

All FJRs are under-sprung so if you can find one with upgraded suspension you will be much better off in the long run. Upgraded suspension is about $1700 and worth every darn penny, especially two up.

I tried to simply state the differences in a factual manner here - all FJRs are great bikes. It is easy to start a Gen 1 vs Gen 2 war here on the forum.

This matrix may help. I woiuld try and find a bike for $9,000 with less than 12k miles with a YES warantee.

Happy hunting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys for your input. I'm going to meet with the 05 owner in a couple of days and hopefully make the trade.

Latest posts