Losing my M/C Racing Virginity - MotoGP or MotoAmerica

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pop and I have discussed this one briefly. If I recall, it rained like hell there last year. Not sure if we would ride or drive. Knowing Pop... If we go we will probably ride. The prospect of meeting some of the forum members is nice.
Didn't rain much during the race. I had my butt planted firmly in MY spot under the bridge next to turn 15. Had a view of the turns and the big TV, as well as the sound of the bikes echoing under the bridge. Never did rain much but I was prepared with a good spot.
In fact, maybe the guy who brings the rain with him wherever he goes might aught to stay home.
biggrin.png

Kidding!!!!

Santa got me tickets to the MotoGP race in Austin this year. Best seats in the house, too! It's going to be a great weekend filled with racing. Santa is the best. I love her!!

I drive a courtesy cart for the Med Center at COTA, so am out there for MotoGP every year. Great time, my favorite event of the year.

I invited my riding nephew Jacob to come with us. Kid was ape shit excited when I told him I'd pay for his ticket and expenses. Too bad he has a college exam on the Monday we come home. Next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I invited my riding nephew Jacob to come with us. Kid was ape shit excited when I told him I'd pay for his ticket and expenses. Too bad he has a college exam on the Monday we come home. Next time.
DANG, Don't u have some pull at that University?? Come on, you can prob make one phone call!! Lol. As the kids are saying today.......Pants you are so Savage!!!

Hello Uncle hppants! I don't have exams that following Monday!
rolleyes.gif

The only races I've attended have been at Road America, and I thought that was pretty cool. The first time I went we had arrived the first day of practices. So after parking the bikes, me and my bud headed up to the pit area. Well the practise session was just beginning and so we headed to were the riders are leaving the pits and onto the track. I thought those bikes were flying as they were entering the track, but I thought it was odd how each rider was making great effort to look behind themselves as they were gettingon the track. A couple minutes went by and I had my answer to why. The bikes on the track were doing about a buck 85 at the end of that straight. Helluva impression on a noob race fan. Needless to say the rest of the weekend was filled with absolute awe at these riders and the machines.

Whichever race you attend, you're going to love it.

Just bought my ticket - general admission this year. We should set a meet up time. If anyone needs any help while in Austin give me a shout. I bought a parking pass. I will probably keep some drinks and food in the car.

Well, this time next week, my dad and I will be caging toward COTA!!!

I reviewed this thread and if I'm understanding things, the following forum members will attend the race:

Scooter

Graler

Jason

Mad German

JmDaniel

Tallyho911

Am I missing anyone?

Would you guys like to get together at the track and have a beer or something?

Getting excited about this.

Don't know if Jason is supposed to be Jasen, but I'm 99% out for this year. I haven't even had time to think about planning this. If I end up going, it'll likely be like last year, me getting up early and heading down and riding right back when the race is done. If so, I'll try to arrange to meet up.

I'll be there. We are in the main grandstand, row 12 (I think) under the roof portion. I should be easy to spot. I'll stick out like a sore thumb since I'll be the guy in the bright yellow Rossi hat and bright yellow Rossi t-shirt.

Here's the tentative schedule for the weekend:

https://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/2016-motogp/schedule

I was thinking maybe we could meet Saturday in the afternoon - say 14:00? If they are on schedule (rarely are), that will be a pretty quiet time on the track and we won't miss qualifying. If they are running late (likely), so much the better.

Here is the venue map:

https://ea80e97cace747c2c244-5483548c70a81fe49af7816b21fff1c8.r64.cf1.rackcdn.com/maps/MOTOGP_MAP_2016.pdf

Yamaha has a display at the Fan Zone, which is located inside the turn 12 corner. Perhaps that would be a good place to meet?

BTW - my reserved seats are in the grandstand behind the straight between turns 15 and 16. Should be a nice view of the turn 12 passing.

Boogity Boogity Boogity - let's go racing, friends!!!!

I'll be there. I'll stick out like a sore thumb since I'll be the guy in the bright yellow Rossi hat and bright yellow Rossi t-shirt.
Just like the other 50,000 Rossi fans. Did you see the Rossi fans in the stands at Argentina. There is no reason to think it will be any different in Austin. JSNS

Here's a tip.

Check the rules to be sure, as they may have changed from last year, but on my experience....you CAN bring in a camelbak. It MUST be empty. You CAN bring in bottled water. They MUST be sealed.

Last year I grabbed two of the tall skinny "Smart Water" bottles (seen below with Jennifer) and packed them into the pouch with the bladder in my camelbak, they were a perfect fit. When I got there I showed the lady, who thanked me for reading and following the rules and making it easy on her, and then walked in. Once in, I emptied the two bottles into the bladder and tossed the empties in the trash. I had enough water to get me through the races without needing to pay the jacked up rates they have there.

Also, bring sunblock. Shade is a rare commodity out there and you will burn. Even worse when the weather is really nice because you don't think about it until it's too late.

tumblr_m2bmxmcvu01r2yql2o1_400.jpg

Here's the tentative schedule for the weekend:
https://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/2016-motogp/schedule

I was thinking maybe we could meet Saturday in the afternoon - say 14:00? If they are on schedule (rarely are), that will be a pretty quiet time on the track and we won't miss qualifying. If they are running late (likely), so much the better.

Here is the venue map:

https://ea80e97cace747c2c244-5483548c70a81fe49af7816b21fff1c8.r64.cf1.rackcdn.com/maps/MOTOGP_MAP_2016.pdf

Yamaha has a display at the Fan Zone, which is located inside the turn 12 corner. Perhaps that would be a good place to meet?

BTW - my reserved seats are in the grandstand behind the straight between turns 15 and 16. Should be a nice view of the turn 12 passing.

Boogity Boogity Boogity - let's go racing, friends!!!!
So it looks like there will be enough of us to run a full on distraction. I will need two of you to start a ruckus. A couple to make sure the pathway out of the tent is clear. The 2016 FJR on display will be mine.