Losing my M/C Racing Virginity - MotoGP or MotoAmerica

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, this time next week, my dad and I will be caging toward COTA!!!
I reviewed this thread and if I'm understanding things, the following forum members will attend the race:

Scooter

Graler

Jason

Mad German

JmDaniel

Tallyho911

Am I missing anyone?

Would you guys like to get together at the track and have a beer or something?

Getting excited about this.
I'll be there...
smile3.gif

Here's a tip.
Check the rules to be sure, as they may have changed from last year, but on my experience....you CAN bring in a camelbak. It MUST be empty. You CAN bring in bottled water. They MUST be sealed.

Last year I grabbed two of the tall skinny "Smart Water" bottles (seen below with Jennifer) and packed them into the pouch with the bladder in my camelbak, they were a perfect fit. When I got there I showed the lady, who thanked me for reading and following the rules and making it easy on her, and then walked in. Once in, I emptied the two bottles into the bladder and tossed the empties in the trash. I had enough water to get me through the races without needing to pay the jacked up rates they have there.

Also, bring sunblock. Shade is a rare commodity out there and you will burn. Even worse when the weather is really nice because you don't think about it until it's too late.

tumblr_m2bmxmcvu01r2yql2o1_400.jpg
We have seats under the awning or covered portion of the grandstands, so we should good, right? We are in row 12 of that area.

You won't want to sit there the whole time. Lots to walk around and see throughout the day.

Row 12 sounds pretty close to the track, and closer to the leading edge of the awning. I'm not going to tell you there won't be parts of the day that the sun won't shine on you down there. I'd bring some stuff just in case.
biggrin.png

Alright!

Just got the wife to approve me a one day hall pass. GA ticket purchased.

I'll be getting up early that morning and riding down. Look forward to meeting some of you guys.

Thanks for the info Jasen. I'm looking forward to this race in a big way. I can't wait!!

Our seats are great! We've been walking around looking at everything so far. What a great time.

Yea, you guys should be having a good time. I've been seeing various folks I know posting up pics...weather is amazing out there.

I was out there today. The weather was perfect. Saturday is a maybe at this point. I have tickets but I have to take care of some pool related stuff before it becomes a big green monster. If I get it done fast enough and get water going back in I can break away for some racing.

We got to Austin a little too late to go to the track. So we drove over to McKinney falls state park and wandered around. Took a nice dip in the creek.

In route to the Salt Lick BBQ place, we found this cool looking car show, so we stopped and checked it out. My dad had a great time looking at the old hot rods.

When we got to the BBQ joint, they said 90 min wait. Not gonna happen with pants. So we went back to the car show, ordered a BBQ brisket plate for each of us, and enjoyed some rock-a-billy music among the Texas hot rodders know. As the Model Citizens car club.

Great end to a great day.

Tomorrow - we go racing!

Yea, one thing I didn't mention, simply because it was a "Ride report" where I posted it, is that The Salt Lick is BYOB. If the weather is nice like it's been, and they've got music playing outside, then all that plus a well stocked cooler can make the wait enjoyable. I had never been there before, just heard about it. Met some family from the area and they popped open their fully stocked cooler and shared with us and we had a good time drinking, listening to music and catching up with each other.

Those options change drastically when I'm on a bike though of course.

A nice day at the track. Couple of popcorn showers during the morning and early afternoon, but we danced around then just fine.

Great action on the track today. Marquez is simply incredible. So smooth. The old man starts on the front row, and I'm pulling for him, but it's gonna take a huge effort.

The moto3 bikes are awesome Pocket rockets.

The moto America bikes are very competitive. The supersport 600 cc bikes are really fun to watch.

My brother and dad, who are not motorcycle enthusiasts, are really liking the action.

I met Graler at the track and someone else from the FJR Facebook page. We had a nice chat under the Yamaha tent. Yamaha has the entire line there and they are drawing plenty attention.

Once again, COTA is a really nice venue.

Now sipping on some firewater on the patio. Life is good. Stay thirsty, my friends.

I was out yesterday, running around in the Seton cart. Won't be out today; moved into a new house a couple of weeks back, and need to hang my garage cabinets.

If you are out walking the support paddocks, don't let the d-bags selling that Blaze Defogging shite "clean" your shades for you. I did, suckered for the $20 combo package, and noticed about an hour later how some of the finish was gone from the surface of my sunglasses. Now, I didn't give two craps about the shades, they are outlet mall Columbias, but I went back and told the dude I was returning the goods, and wanted my money back. He puffed up, and said my glasses were like that when I walked up, and I stayed calm and said I was just wanting a refund, he could sell that crap to the next guy. He grumbled, but gave me the Lincoln back. A Google search later showed what crap that stuff is...

We had another nice day at the track. The Motogp race was not competitive at all. Marquez took off and never looked back - the dude has mad skills I tell ya. Rossi fell on the second lap and finished dead last. Very disappointed about that.

The moto America super bike series is very competitive. I enjoyed that one very much.

Met Jasen this morning and had a nice chat.

More when I get home. Cheers!

Yep, Rossi crashed right in front of me, while I wasn't looking. Sigh.

Sometimes it pays to heed your own advice. Any guesses on who didn't put on sunblock and got scorched? Yea, I was more worried about rain, then the skies opened up just for the MotoGP race and I got fried. Sigh.

Pants says we met, but there's no pictures so it didn't happen. Right after you dissapeared into the crowd was when I realized we forgot to take a quick picture. Next time. There will be a next time, right? Did the folks with you enjoy the race? Did your dad get any good pics with his lens?