LOUD horn installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all!! I mounted my Stebel Nautilus horn yesterday using the install advice from this thread. https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/10-fjr-farkling-ii/8842-stebel-nautilus-compact-airhorn-03-model.html Worked great!! Took some adjusting, but it fit in there nicely when it was all done. There was really only “one” area it would go in there without hitting the side of the radiator, and I had to remove the LH horn so the Stebel would fit. But I got it to work and it is LOUD!! I was pretty happy to get it mounted.
punk.gif

As a follow up on my Stebel Nautilus horn install back in 2008; the horn died a couple months ago. It only emits a weak mouse squeak at this time. I actually noticed some weakness in the past year or so. I guess I can't complain with almost 6 years of duty in lots of rain and wet roads. A new one is sitting on the bench waiting to be installed.

BTW, I also installed a set of PIAA slimline sport horns in the stock horn locations and that was a good thing because they are the only honking I've got now. I can't wait to add the air horn to the mix!
evilgrin.gif

Harold, I have my Stebel horn off my 06 you can have it. PM me

Last edited by a moderator:
I just installed a PIAA slim line sports horn on my Gen 3. Took 10 minutes. Mounts on the same bracket as the stock. Much louder than stock. No relay -- just unplug the old one and plug in the new one. I think this is the easiest way to a much more effective and louder horn on the FJR.

I just installed a PIAA slim line sports horn on my Gen 3. Took 10 minutes. Mounts on the same bracket as the stock. Much louder than stock. No relay -- just unplug the old one and plug in the new one. I think this is the easiest way to a much more effective and louder horn on the FJR.
I have the PIAAs -- set of two: 400HZ and 500Hz. Did you install one horn or two?

Got them last weekend, but have been too busy to even investigate the installation. Gotta find a second mounting location and fix up jumpers from horn #1 to horn #2. (Some of the busy was putting miles on the bike and a grin on my face.)

I too purchased the PIAA 400HZ and 500HZ. I installed the 500HZ replacing the OEM horn. It is much better than the stock horn. For those who installed them on GenIII bikes, did you install one or both? If one which HZ rating? If both where and how did you wire the second horn?

I too purchased the PIAA 400HZ and 500HZ. I installed the 500HZ replacing the OEM horn. It is much better than the stock horn. For those who installed them on GenIII bikes, did you install one or both? If one which HZ rating? If both where and how did you wire the second horn?

Hz is the pitch (soprano, tenor, bass) which may or may not make the horn more audible to others. It's the dB rating that counts for loudness, and (perhaps) the dissonance between the 400Hz and 500Hz pitches helps penetrate the driver fog of blaring car stereos.

So .... I am convinced that mounting only one of the pair will not provide a louder sound.

Busy tonight and tomorrow; hope to get this finished before the good weather Sunday. Will post photos and a writeup.

I installed just the one PIAA slim line sports horn. I ride with a full face Shoei, and always wear earplugs. I know this is an unscientific test, but I could barely hear the stock horn on the highway at speed, and there is no question in my mind that the PIAA is much more audible under the same conditions. In my mind, it's not even close. Maybe it's due to the tone of the horn -- I don't know -- all I know is what I can hear, and that's a big improvement over stock.

I installed the PIAA 400-500 horns and had friends looking around for the car that was honking at them. It actually raises a good point that maybe, a horn should sound like the vehicle it is installed in?

Thanks, DHS1981. If I can't find a second mounting point easily, your opinion will allow my OCD self to ride with one horn .... for a while, anyway.

I installed just the one PIAA slim line sports horn. I ride with a full face Shoei, and always wear earplugs. I know this is an unscientific test, but I could barely hear the stock horn on the highway at speed, and there is no question in my mind that the PIAA is much more audible under the same conditions. In my mind, it's not even close. Maybe it's due to the tone of the horn -- I don't know -- all I know is what I can hear, and that's a big improvement over stock.
A while back, I installed just one PIAA on my GSX1100G (original setup was one horn). As you said, the volume wasn't what I wanted and neither was the tone. Ended up installing both horns and the difference made it worthwhile, IMHO.

You really can't trust the "dB" rating of horns since the measurement is affected greatly by the way it is measured. So one manufacturers 110 dB rated horn is not the same loudness as another's

I have an SPL (Sound Pressure Level) meter and, several years ago, made comparative measurements of a single PIAA 500Hz Slimline horn compared to each of the two stock horns on my 1st Gen FJR.

I do not have the exact results handy, but the PIAA most definitely produced a higher dB level than the stock ones. The high tone horn was very wimpy and the lower tone stock horn produced something just less than the PIAA. But remember that dB is a log scale. An increase of 3dB is double the sound power, but it will not sound twice as loud.

I ended up using the 500Hz Slimline in lieu of the wimpy high tone, along with the stock lower tone, and the results were an appreciable improvement in horn loudness.

The stock 2014 single horn is pathetically weak. I will be at least adding a supplemental horn, maybe just replacing it with a new pair.

I'll need to check the wire gauge, but I assume that the stock harness is the same as prior gens and will support running two of the PIAAs in parallel.

Well thanks, Kaelaria! Now I know the second mounting point is there and easy to access, and your wire jumper is a better idea than what I had dreamed up. Looks like a 30-minute job once you assemble the pieces and tools.

Especially appreciate the sound comparison. Wha a surprise to hear the stock horn -- which may be louder than your car's horn.

One thing to consider is that the microphone that you are recording with most likely does not have a completely flat frequency response. But then, neither do our ears really, so waveform results from your microphone, or the SPLs I can measure with my meter, may not be a good indicator of exactly how effective the horns will be in actual use.

The stock FJR, as well as your little car, both have higher frequency, single tone horns, so all of the sound energy is concentrated into that single frequency. When going to the dual tone horns the energy will be split into the two frequencies (400 and 500 Hz) but those frequencies will also beat against each other constructively, so there will also be sum and difference tones perceived. The sound power will end up being spread across a wider spectrum so that what you hear may be perceived as being louder. Even in your recording, it is pretty clear that the PIAAs are more effective attention getters and worth doing the mod, IMO.

A quick and even simpler way to accomplish the harness splitting is by picking up some of these little connectors at your favorite electronic supply store (I think I got these at Radio Shack)

100_4863.jpg

Simply crimp those onto the end of your extension wires, push the female part on the left horn terminals and push the female connectors from the wiring harness onto the male spades of these connectors. Same principle as yours, but less cutting, stripping and crimping.

Since the horns are stationary, rather than looping the extension wires through the moving brake hoses, it may make more sense to run them over the top of the radiator, even if it means using some different extension wires than the short ones provided in the horn kit. That way the wires do not continuously flex around, possibly developing a bad connection in the future.