love the bike, the stock seat not so much

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a spare set of seats for well over a year. The Seat Concepts has stopped being comfy on the longer rides (over 6 hours), so I finally packed up the spares and sent them to Seth Lamm last week.

Yeah, I know that Russel Day-Long enjoys holy status around here, but I've placed my cute little butt into four or five Laam seats and been pleased. The Laams feel like a Seat Concepts on steroids: stiffer foam, wider butt bucket, heavier vinyl. Hard to argue with an improved version of a seat that's made me feel comfy for a couple of years already.

Chatted with Mr Laam and exchanged a few text messages. Happy with his response, and frank discussion about options and production schedule.

See this guy's experience for a different opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
FNG....I have heard of Mean City Cycles in NC, I just used them a few months ago on my 2012. They are very easy to work with, just send in your seat to them, Lori the admin. called me to confirm my online order/requests, finialize any needs. They do have a appointment/waiting list, but you can pay for expedited shipping and get it back in 48hrs. I chose this option as I was heading out on a trip from here in ATL to Little Rock Ar. They are great folks to work with, everything went smoothly.

They have a number of things you can do to your seat. I chose to have mine lowered about half and inch, extra padding in the back/center to keep me from sliding forward smacking the tank, and a little more narrow(less padding on the sides). I'm 5'10 and now with this setup I can flat foot the bike in the lowered setting, but generally prefer to ride in the upper raised position. The seat is soooo much better now, comfy in all area's no more hot spots and butt starting to ache or burn. I'm very happy with my investment.

Dmoore68 do you have any pictures? I have pretty much ruled the RDL out, I'm about the same height as you, and can't really flat foot, so lowering an inch would be perfect. I'm leaning heavily towards the lamm but not committed yet. I'm looking for a harder seat than the squishy stock seat. Did you go with gel?

Dmoore68 do you have any pictures? I have pretty much ruled the RDL out, I'm about the same height as you, and can't really flat foot, so lowering an inch would be perfect. I'm leaning heavily towards the lamm but not committed yet. I'm looking for a harder seat than the squishy stock seat. Did you go with gel?

Sorry about the double post!

"Squishy stock seat"? Did they change the seat between 2013 and 2015?
coolsmiley02.gif

I went with the Seat Concepts seat as well. I got the carbon fiber material. Have had it since April and it is very comfortable. I only got the front foam redone but did the new cover for both.

I got a Seth Laam and I'm very happy with it..... looks great and is comfy with the wings much like the russell, just didn't want them as big as the russell.

I had purchased an extra set of pans to ship it in so I could still ride..... Remember - he's a one man show (at least he was at the time).
It was less then a month turn around end of July '15 - Aug '15. Couldn't be happier with the work.....

Winter time is a much busier time for him, so there might be a longer wait during that period....

PJF_6224_zps1bb5c1df.jpg

There's a bunch of choices that you can do. Russel, LAAM are premium $$, There's Spencer in FL, and Seat Concepts. I have a spencer seat. I may try the seat concepts soon, not so sure. There's local options too. There's a person by me in Asheville that will do a seat similar to Spencer or Seat Concepts.

Just sent my seat to be done by Seth Laam. I've spoken with him a few times already, called a couple weeks ago and got a production date of Nov 1. To say Im excited is an understatement!! Thanks for all the input, Looks like windshield searches and research will be next...lol

Hey Uncle Hud, I've become curious about your experiences with the SeatConcepts seat too, though models/fitment may end up a little different between your FJR and my old Gen 1.

Please elaborate, thanks.

Seat Concepts (SC) sells a seat cover with the underlying foam; you provide the stock FJR seat pan. There cant be much difference between the Generations, as the stock seats while different in details are similar in shape and size.

Installation is quick: unstaple the stock vinyl cover and remove the stock foam. It peels off easily and in one piece. You should save the stock foam, since custom seat builders (perhaps in your future) will want it.

Using spray adhesive, stick the SC foam onto the seat pan. Stretch the SC cover over everything and staple securely. Takes 30 minutes max. Much easier if you have a helper stretch and hold the new cover while you staple.

Youll ned a strong stapler to penetrate the heavy plastic seat pan, and short staples so they dont penetrate too far.

Ive ridden very comfortably on mine for over 60,000 miles. My fun rides are typically between four and eight hours long, 400-750 miles max, although the SC history includes a half-dozen days of 1,000 miles or more. The SC upgrade has never failed in comfort until the past few weeks.

Satisfied? Absolutely. Money well spent? Absolutely. Do it again? No, because this time I want heating elements.

{Posted via iPhone, so punctuation will be screwed up.}

Seat Concepts (SC) sells a seat cover with the underlying foam; you provide the stock FJR seat pan. There cant be much difference between the Generations, as the stock seats while different in details are similar in shape and size.
Installation is quick: unstaple the stock vinyl cover and remove the stock foam. It peels off easily and in one piece. You should save the stock foam, since custom seat builders (perhaps in your future) will want it.

Using spray adhesive, stick the SC foam onto the seat pan. Stretch the SC cover over everything and staple securely. Takes 30 minutes max. Much easier if you have a helper stretch and hold the new cover while you staple.

Youll ned a strong stapler to penetrate the heavy plastic seat pan, and short staples so they dont penetrate too far.

Ive ridden very comfortably on mine for over 60,000 miles. My fun rides are typically between four and eight hours long, 400-750 miles max, although the SC history includes a half-dozen days of 1,000 miles or more. The SC upgrade has never failed in comfort until the past few weeks.

Satisfied? Absolutely. Money well spent? Absolutely. Do it again? No, because this time I want heating elements.

{Posted via iPhone, so punctuation will be screwed up.}
I´ve got Seat Concepts and bought a heating element on eBay at the same time....so I´ve got a heated Seat Concept
smile.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heated-Seat-Element-Retrofit-Kit-for-Motorcycle-Bike-Scooter-2-level-switch/251342047167?hash=item3a852747bf:g:QZ4AAOSwnOJWFOEU:rk:1:pf:1

Got any pics you could share? Which top fabric did you get? Would love to hear a review of it.
I´ve got the gripper top, it lowers the seat about an inch so I had to lower the pegs (I´m 6ft 1.4).

https://forumbilder.se/H84IF/01

https://forumbilder.se/H84IF/02

https://forumbilder.se/H84IF/03

Review, I love it!
smile.png
Another Seat Concepts seat here I just put one on my 05 the other day and its fantastic for my needs, is it a RDL not quite as I had one on my ST1100 but it is a great seat.

If you get a basic rider seat with vinyl cover, the Russel is not that expensive. And that basic Russell is more comfortable than any other seat ever made anywhere. It’s about the same price as an ass burning Corbin. If you think a Corbin is OK it’s only because you’ve never ridden any distance on a Russell.

If you get a basic rider seat with vinyl cover, the Russel is not that expensive.
I feel like I'm missing something. Is a cheaper option available for a Russell seat?

I looked up web prices for seats and provided the links below. These were the most inexpensive, no-frills options I could find for each seat. Please correct these if I have misstated them.

$540 Russell FJR seat, code S-3 (front only) << This is the cheapest FJR option listed on the web site. (the FJR uses seat code "S-3")

$690 Russell front and rear

$349 Laam (front only)

$489 Laam front and rear

$393 Corbin (front only)

$686 Corbin front and rear

$184 SeatConcepts (front only)

$239 SeatConcepts front and rear

Yes. The S3 Solo price code gets you a custom driver seat and the rear seat recovered to match (with the stock foam under). If you just send them the driver seat then you only get charged the S-1 price. Thats shown on the top paragraph of the price List web page. So it would be $435 in vinyl. Typically they have had discounts during their slow winter season, but I dont know of any right now, which is too bad because I NEED one for my new Africa Twin.

Corbin and Seat Concepts seats (and Sargent that you didnt mention) arent even in the same area code in terms of comfort. Laam and Mayer seats are more comparable, but Russell has a far better track record than those.

I didnt say they were cheap. I just said that they arent as expensive as people think.

Thanks for the correction. If I'm understanding his pricing chart correctly, here is the corrected list.

I found the Sargent site and included a link for it as well.

I wish these links (and more) could be in a comprehensive sticky somewhere. I've wondered about seats and options and prices for years.

This thread was helpful for me, as I didn't think a RDL seat was obtainable for less than $900. $435 is still out of the question, but now I'm informed.

$435 Russell FJR seat, code (S-1 = front only) $540? Russell front and rear (S-3)

$349 Laam (front only)

$489 Laam front and rear

$393 Corbin (front only)

$686 Corbin front and rear

$184 SeatConcepts (front only)

$239 SeatConcepts front and rear
+Sargent seats *these include a seat pan*

$349 Sargent (front only)

$549 Sargent front and rear

Note that Seat Concepts is a do-it-yourself kit: padding and seat cover shipped; you provide seat pan, labor, adhesive, and staple gun.

That said, mine was mighty comfy for about 50,000 miles.

FWIW I did a cover for my BMW K1200RS saddle after the original saddle cover started to fail. In this case it was a "put it over the existing cover" cover. I bought an air driven stapler from Harbor Freight not a lot ($20+ ??) and stainless steel short staples at Lowes (the short ones are a challenge to find). The job was basically center the front of the new cover on the pan, keep tension on the material while stapling one side then the other. Tuck the excess under the back carefully, keeping any folds out of sight. In my case adhesive was, in the instructions, nice but not required. I wish I'd used adhesive. The results weren't bad but I know where some adhesive would have helped. Oh well. The job isn't outrageously hard. Expect to pull some staples, tug harder on the cover, and re-staple.

We periodically take various bits of furniture to an upholsterer to be completely re-done (every... oh... maybe five years?). Anyway, we keep in touch. I took the cover and saddle to him and... pass. Sigh... I'm almost certain he could have done a better job, but if Jim says "no", it's no. Drat.