Maths

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"You can't make two identical things out of one thing's ingredients...."
Wrong quadrilateral breath! Any married man knows that one marital misstep can result in two identical ass chewings.
+1, Gunny; statement right here proves Pterodactyl is the smartest man on our Fine FJR Forum, in regards to concrete I always defer to a Mexican ese! JSNS, or tile!

Last edited by a moderator:
All I need to know about math is 155mph is greater than 55mph and will get you in jail. Maybe.
wheatonFJR: Are you and mcatrophy working together here in the Jokes and Fun Stuff section as a comedy team? Like Penn and Teller? Or Abbott and Costello? JSNS, maybe Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin!

I got it, Laurel and Hardy! Stan Laurel was an Englishman, to Oliver Hardy's American!

Three salesmen are traveling together and they need a place to spend a night.They find a small Motel and go in.

There is only one room left and clerk behind the desk tells them it's $30.

Each salesman pays $10 and they go to their room.

Clerk feeling bad about charging them $30, tells bellboy to take $5 and give it back to salesmen.

Bellboy thinks how he can split $5 three way and decides to just give each salesman $1 and keep $2 for himself.

So, each salesman paid $9. ($10 - $1 = $9)

$9 times 3 = $27.

Bellboy kept $2.

$27 + $2 = $29.

Where did the other $1 went?
I'll take the bait!!!

You don't add the 2 to the 27, you subtract it. They paid 30, minus a dollar each, minus the 2 the dude stole, equals the 25 for the room.

Or to put it another way, you don't start with the 30, you start with the 25 for the room. Then add the two he took, get 27, and add the dollar each, for 30.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

keep-calm-and-dont-be-a-killjoy.png

smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Dammit! I was going to start a new business making change for people ....

^^^^^^ U of Georgia grad school on-line class. Ma and Pa Kettle are now Professors Emeritus, having developed the "Bulldog Alternate Theory of Multiplication" and helping the NCAA rank SEC football teams.

(Now, let me slip into my Nomex coveralls and balaclava .... maybe a smiley face will help:
rolleyes.gif
)

^^^^^^ U of Georgia grad school on-line class. Ma and Pa Kettle are now Professors Emeritus, having developed the "Bulldog Alternate Theory of Multiplication" and helping the NCAA rank SEC football teams.

(Now, let me slip into my Nomex coveralls and balaclava .... maybe a smiley face will help: :rolleyes: )
Haha...I work with assholes just like that. They're too stupid to realize they're stupid, and there is no convincing them otherwise.

Isn't that how somebody (no names, no pack-drill) missed Mars?

Ok, so my sentence was wrong, they hit Mars instead of missing it.

Isn't that how somebody (no names, no pack-drill) missed Mars?
A non-British, very well known, Space Administration hit Mars instead of orbiting it. Probably because some people use pounds for thrust, others newtons.

A [non-British, very well known, Space Administration] review board found that the problem was in the software controlling the orbiter’s thrusters. The software calculated the force the thrusters needed to exert in pounds of force. A separate piece of software took in the data assuming it was in the metric unit: newtons.
The British hit Mars deliberately, but failed to communicate afterwards.

Such is life.

See, that's exactly why the metric system should be abolished world-wide: because Americans use feet, pounds, quarts, and acres.

NASA has done some amazing things, including landing and retrieving a handful of humans on the moon, and now SpaceX is doing stuff that stretches my imagination.

(Now, let me slip into my Nomex coveralls and balaclava .... maybe a smiley face will help:
rolleyes.gif
)
Haha...I work with assholes just like that. They're too stupid to realize they're stupid, and there is no convincing them otherwise.
Dunning-Kruger effect:

What’s curious is that, in many cases, incompetence does not leave people disoriented, perplexed, or cautious. Instead, the incompetent are often blessed with an inappropriate confidence, buoyed by something that feels to them like knowledge.
It's real, and disturbingly widespread.
omg2.gif

Thanks, bluesdog! That link/article was extremely interesting, and I am very glad you chose to share it!

Once upon a time, I had a closely-spaced series of awful experiences that introduced me to the Dunning-Kruger effect, although I had no idea it was a real thing until your post. I began to wonder if I was really an incompetent nincompoop and just didn't recognize it; or a clown who had a wildly inaccurate haughty opinion of himself; or an irresponsible man who -- every day -- barely escaped my well-deserved judgment without realizing how closely I came to disaster.

Now, I'll credit that questioning to a familiarization with Dunning-Kruger ... while having another beer.