McQueen's Machines Part Two

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gerry decided that for Metisse to both succeed and move beyond a one-off builder, it needed to stake its own identity. His first project was the very successful replica of one of Steve McQueen's favorite bikes, a Rickman-Metisse-Triumph bike that he and Bud Ekins tweaked to do duty as a desert racer.

rickman08063002.jpg

rickman08063003.jpg

tumblr_m2a496xv2a1rqpqa9o1_1280.jpg

steve-mcqueen-riding-motorcycle.jpg

Gerry's produced more than half of the 300 limited edition versions, and orders keep trickling in. Each one is built to order.

P1050660.jpg

P1050716.jpg

We wander into the back, where various bikes are in state of build.

P1050722.jpg

P1050725.jpg

But I am here to see his new creation, which takes Metisse in a totally new direction. Gerry has designed his own engine, a fuel injected parallel twin of 1000cc, making 97 bhp and weighing less than 400 lbs. I see the prototype, a mule that has been set up to test the engine, but which contains many of the final styling cues for the Scrambler version. I overlook the turn signals, mirrors, test speedo/tach, and other bits tacked on to obtain temporary road certification, and key in on that engine and other cool cues, like the exhaust that exists through the rear fender.

P1050693.jpg

Gerry fires up the Scrambler, lets it idle for a bit to bring up the temp, then looks over at me, smiles, and cracks the throttle open. The Metisse cackles and lets out an piercing shriek that rattles my ear drums. It sounds like a two cyclinder forumula one engine.

While the Scrambler idles, he takes me over to the real demon. The "Chase", a cafe racer aptly named for Steve's grandson, and fitted with a special 140 hp tweaked version of his stock engine. This one's also a mule, as he's still working on the nose, but one look at this version and I am totally entranced.

P1050677.jpg

P1050679.jpg

P1050670.jpg

P1050672.jpg

P1050731.jpg

I want this cafe in the worst possible way, but it's being torn down for testing and evaluation, so I am "stuck" riding the Scrambler.

I waste no time. Gerry gives me the following entire tutorial:

"Wind her up. She redlines close to 8000, and don't worry about flogging her. She's properly broken in. Go and have a run up the road."

And that's it.

P1050734.jpg

I point her down the long driveway towards the main road and tell Gerry I'll be right back.

P1050736.jpg

I think about being careful and graceful, but Gerry's encouragement gets the better of me and I let her rip.

P1050735.jpg

Coming off my Bonneville, I expect a traditional surge of torque, the vibration surging through the frame and handlebars, with the torque easing off as the revs climb past 6k.

Nothing like that at all. This engine rips like a triple, with so little vibration that I can't help myself. "Shit. Wow. Shit. Whoooohooooo!!"

At the end of the driveway, I ease onto the main road, reminding myself to stay left not right, and give that throttle a twist. She pulls forward so effortlessly, and I look at the tach and see I still have 3k left of RPM. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Up and down the road, through the gears, weave around, head to the village turnabout, and get on and off that throttle just to feel this engine work and hear it sing. My mind immediately starts to wonder what the cafe would be like with another 40 hp, but then I catch myself. "Pay attention to the road, stay to the left."

As I run her back to the factory, I see Gerry in the car coming down the drive. I've been out quite a while.

He winds down his window. My shit-eating grin is unmistakable.

"Oh hey, mate," he says, "I just meant for you to come down the drive and back. Thought you ran out of petrol."

Hee hee. Down the driveway and back.

Riiiigggghhhht.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmGeRKg-w9Y&feature=youtube_gdata

Last edited by a moderator:
Politely chided, I take her back to the factory and pepper Gerry with questions. I see the various components he has assembled to see that the Metisse is as original as possible. He developed a special clutch for the cafe, and other original parts.

P1050694.jpg

P1050727.jpg

We walk back to where Oliver is crafting the molds for the fenders, air box, and sides.

P1050698.jpg

P1050699.jpg

Gerry points to an old, thrashed mold at my feet. It's an original Rickman mold, used for decades.

P1050700.jpg

I spy a vintage scrambler. It's an old Greeves single, and it belonged to the son of the old farmer that Gerry's dad apprenticed while being held during the war, and who first got Gerry into dirt bikes. Gerry located it in the old man's garage and for his birthday, Gerry restored the Greeves and presented it to the son, who nearly wept at this generous gesture.

P1050723.jpg

I also spied this unknown shell. Gerry tells me it was found by a neighbor hunting in the woods, who tripped over it. It's from a 1920's era BSA.

P1050675.jpg

The hour to depart to Heathrow is drawing near, and Gerry gives me a brief tour of the golf course adjoining his factory. Of course, he thatched the roofs of these buildings.

P1050705.jpg

P1050706.jpg

P1050707.jpg

We steal inside the restaurant for a classic English breakfast before heading out to Heathrow.

P1050708.jpg

We head back the airport, and I talk with Gerry about the development of this fantastic engine. He was able to enlist some of the shops that serve the Formula 1 teams, but which were sidelined by the recession, allowing them to take on projects like Gerry's for which they wouldn't normally "stoop". I am thoroughly amazed that through his sheer sense of determination, he'd gotten this far and created an engine as phenonemal as this one. Nobody, at least nobody without zillions, comes out with a motorcycle as sleek and an engine so impressive as this one. Gerry's no zillionaire, just a man with intense determination.

We talk about his plans for this bike and his excitement and clear belief in this motorcycle are at once intoxicating and contagious.

We get to Heathrow far to quickly, enough for me to thoroughly regret my compressed travel schedule. I vow to return, and encourage him to get the bike into the states.

On the long plane ride home, I read about the improved FJR. The upgrades sound terrific, and the bike looks to be the best realized version of something I already enjoy.

P1050743.jpg

But I won't be selling my 08 for a new one. I've resolved to keep it and ride it without regret and without envy for the new model.

no....I want that Metisse cafe racer.

I want it so very badly.

Great trip Dave, your new jacket would match very well with the new Metisse cafe racer. :rolleyes:

See ya next week at the tech meet.

+1

My hat is off to you. A brilliant post, interesting, well written and some of those great pics really had me pineing in several ways! The storyline and subject matter just topped it off.

Fantastic. Here's one completely envious wanadoo.

I'll be tipping one toward you and your dad tonight my friend!

Look forward to hearing more next week end.

Great read...and fuck Fairlaner...I liked getting the WHOLE story! :clapping:

:D
One of the finest Ride Reports personally for me I have ever read on our FJR Forum. Outstanding photographs of street life Dublin: You can just sense the warmth of the gregarious and outgoing city of friendly Dublin. I miss Eire!

You have covered two of my favorite things in life: Ireland and English motorcycles. How a race of people as obnoxious, rude and arrogant as the English could've crafted motorcycles as amazing as Brit Iron always confounds me!

https://www.metisse-motorcycles.com/ I joined the Metisse Club. Dave if I wind up spending $$$ on a Steve McQueen Desert Racer then you're a bastard and I'm going to have SacramentoMike kick your ass for good measure too!

steve.jpg

One of the finest Ride Reports personally for me I have ever read on our FJR Forum. Outstanding photographs of street life Dublin: You can just sense the warmth of the gregarious and outgoing city of friendly Dublin. I miss Eire!

You have covered two of my favorite things in life: Ireland and English motorcycles. How a race of people as obnoxious, rude and arrogant as the English could've crafted motorcycles as amazing as Brit Iron always confounds me!

https://www.metisse-motorcycles.com/ I joined the Metisse Club. Dave if I wind up spending $$$ on a Steve McQueen Desert Racer then you're a bastard and I'm going to have SacramentoMike kick your ass for good measure too!

steve.jpg
Just buy it for me uncle Don, you won't feel so bad!

Did you notice one of the frames had a Trident motor stuffed in it? :dribble:

steve.jpg
Just buy it for me uncle Don, you won't feel so bad!

Did you notice one of the frames had a Trident motor stuffed in it? :dribble:
Did Old Michael and Senor Medina see the frame with the Trident motor stuffed in it? Brother Kevin, OM and Papa Chuy are jacking off to that picture as we speak! Mick and I had a conversation just days ago on how much we both love the Triumph Trident (still can't stand the English though! Except of course for Roger and Deb, Jill and Andy, David-Orestes, mcatrophy, etcetera, etc.). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSA_Rocket_3/Triumph_Trident

P1050725.jpg